Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Headers with stock H-Pipe (and ground clearance question)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 10:22 AM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 108 Posts
Default TSP Headers with stock H-Pipe (and ground clearance question)

Getting ready to order a set of 1 3/4 TSP headers. Per the ad, they include adapters to hook up to the stock midpipe. Would I be better off to get the full kit including the OR X-Pipe? What are the advantages of the OR X pipe compared to the stock catted H-Pipe? Sound? Performance? Emissions wont be an issue due to the county I live in. Ive searched previous posts and was unable to really find anything. Id rather leave the stock H-Pipe for cost reasons, but if it will really hinder performance there is no sense in not upgrading the midpipe.

Also, does anyone have these? My front bolts are completely removed and rears have 2-3 threads showing. Im worried about clearance.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:44 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Recent buyers seem to have had better results with these than I did (bought mine 2 winters ago). Mine had severely warped flanges, enough so that I had them milled in our machine shop here at my day job (TSP refunded).
After install one header is nice and flat underneath (PS IIRC), the other hangs a bit low up front pointing up as it gets further back. I've seen other posters with this same issue. My car is not lowered, never bottomed out.
The X pipe is nicer sounding IMO, but more quiet. It also stops / reduces the jingling sound in the exhaust. In theory it should make you more power, but that would be minimal.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:02 PM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Awesome. Thanks so much! I'm gonna go with them without the xpipe and hope they don't scrape.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:02 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

The advantage of the x-pipe with the headers is the collector flange or what the manufacturer uses to mate their headers to their x-pipe. The stock one will have to fabricated to fit the header ??

Most all x-pipes will mate to any Cat-back !!
Old 12-03-2016, 01:03 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

The TSP headers come with reducers that can hook up with the stock mid pipe by cutting it about half way along. OP, let us know if you have any questions on installion.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:29 AM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Will do. Thanks much, gentlemen.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:36 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I have the 1-7/8" TSPs with a 3" HF Catted X pipe. X pipe has nothing to do with clearance, but the headers definitely do. Mine hang down a fair amount. I bet I lose 1/2-3/4 of an inch, maybe a full inch of ground clearance with them. It's not insignificant. Incredibly, they've never scraped yet but I don't go around looking for stuff to hit either.

After I did the install I was certain I'd have fits with them but so far I have not. I have seen pics of other peoples cars with their headers installed and they always looked to be tucked up in perfectly. Mine, not nearly as perfect.

They are well built for sure and I have no complaints with them otherwise but if you are already pushing the limits of clearance, I'd be skeptical. I don't know anything about other brands so I'm not the one to ask, other than I've seen other people's pics that impressed me.

I put wrap on them and so far it hasn't been torn up, so they've never touched anything. But I'll be surprised if it doesn't get caught on something and give me fits. My car isn't lowered.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:19 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
I have the 1-7/8" TSPs with a 3" HF Catted X pipe. X pipe has nothing to do with clearance, but the headers definitely do. Mine hang down a fair amount. I bet I lose 1/2-3/4 of an inch, maybe a full inch of ground clearance with them. It's not insignificant. Incredibly, they've never scraped yet but I don't go around looking for stuff to hit either.

After I did the install I was certain I'd have fits with them but so far I have not. I have seen pics of other peoples cars with their headers installed and they always looked to be tucked up in perfectly. Mine, not nearly as perfect.

They are well built for sure and I have no complaints with them otherwise but if you are already pushing the limits of clearance, I'd be skeptical. I don't know anything about other brands so I'm not the one to ask, other than I've seen other people's pics that impressed me.

I put wrap on them and so far it hasn't been torn up, so they've never touched anything. But I'll be surprised if it doesn't get caught on something and give me fits. My car isn't lowered.
Wasn't aware TSP made 1 7/8" headers... OP; here's my drop as viewed from PS on short ramps.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:29 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by grantv
Wasn't aware TSP made 1 7/8" headers...
You are correct, they are 1-3/4".

Here's a pic of mine.

Get notified of new replies

To TSP Headers with stock H-Pipe (and ground clearance question)

Quick Reply: TSP Headers with stock H-Pipe (and ground clearance question)