Surgery sucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:09 PM
Mistrezz 06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Surgery sucks

Well as the title said, surgery sometimes keep you from driving your vette.

I just had shoulder surgery(right) on the 29th, the doctor repair my rotation cuff, four bad ligaments and part of my bicep muscle. In short, I won't be able to drive my girl for at least 6 weeks, heck I'm writing these on my iPad holding it with one hand and pecking away with one finger.

Finally I'm getting around but crap we really take for granted the things we do daily with our arms and feet. Sleeping is the worst, specially when you turn around and the pain reminds you that you had surgery, .

The up side is that I'll be off work for the month of December and that I could spend more time here at the forum.

I post a picture of the house after putting my lights before surgery and my girl on her night gown ready for her nap. I also think I see Pounder right by the polar bear too.

Anyway hope all of you have a wonderful Holiday Season with your love ones and be safe out there.
Attached Images  
The following 4 users liked this post by Mistrezz 06:
doublenut9 (12-07-2016), friou (12-06-2016), IMXCITD (12-02-2016), Pounder (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 12:28 PM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Man, I know how you feel, I wish you a speedy and full recovery, I am going on the 12th to meet my surgeon for having my leg repaired (for the 2nd time) They want to remove all the hardware where I broke my Femur 7 years ago and reset the leg.
(it broke in the same place recently) I am not looking forward to it. Like you I am off as well, But I would gladly go to work any day.
Enjoy your holidays as best as your able to

Last edited by skydiven4fun; 12-02-2016 at 01:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mistrezz 06 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 12:43 PM
Bob in Elliot Lake
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I understand as well. Broke my right leg last Feb and couldn't drive until about six weeks ago.
Attached Images  
Mistrezz 06 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 12:44 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I have had a fusion done on my neck laid me up for 6 months, I had major surgery on my right shoulder and was the worst pain I have ever felt. I was laid up for 5 months for that. I was told after shoulder surgery the rehab is critical, my Lawyer told me do everything the Therapist says and no more than what he says. I gained 35 pounds after the neck surgery and could only lose 20 of that. I gained 40 plus after shoulder surgery and have only been able to lose 20 of that. As we get older the weight is very hard to lose. Good luck to you !!!
Mistrezz 06 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 12:48 PM
Bob in Elliot Lake
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

BTW they had to remove my hardware as well. I kept one of the screws, it's about 1 1/4" stainless, self tapper, with an Allen head. I'm going to make a tie clip out of it. LoL
Mistrezz 06 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 01:07 PM
Dave C
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Man I feel blessed - we only have 4 months of winter to deal with, God bless you guys and I hope you recover fast!! I had rotator cuff surgery a couple winters ago - it got me to get someone to plow for the season
Mistrezz 06 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 01:22 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I feel for you guys and I've had surgery in the past myself and know it is not usually a pleasant experience. Be thankful this Christmas season, though, that, as of yet, you haven't needed the stuff I design - neurovascular devices for stroke, aneurysms, AVM's, etc.

God bless!

Last edited by Patches; 12-02-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Mistrezz 06 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 01:50 PM
Carl Timonen
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

To me, rotator surgery is the worst. No way to get comfortable in bed, so I had to sleep in a recliner for a few weeks. I had to have both done, but not at the same time, and the second one redone because of physical therapy. The wife about gagged pulling out the pain killer cord from inside my shoulders each time.

Hope you have a good recovery.
Mistrezz 06 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 01:51 PM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Patches
I feel for you guys and I've had surgery in the past myself and know it is not usually a pleasant experience. Be thankful this Christmas season, though, that, as of yet, you haven't needed the stuff I design - neurovascular devices for stroke, aneurysms, AVM's, etc.

God bless!

That sounds like an extremely interesting & challenging profession, its easy at times to forget just how really fortunate we all are, with all the advances in medicine, trauma care, prosthetics, The list goes on and on.
No telling what the future will bring

Last edited by skydiven4fun; 12-02-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Mistrezz 06 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 01:56 PM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bob in Elliot Lake
I understand as well. Broke my right leg last Feb and couldn't drive until about six weeks ago.
Dam lots of similarity, this was taken a week a go I feel your pain
Attached Images  
Mistrezz 06 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 02:17 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Carl Timonen
To me, rotator surgery is the worst. No way to get comfortable in bed, so I had to sleep in a recliner for a few weeks. I had to have both done, but not at the same time, and the second one redone because of physical therapy. The wife about gagged pulling out the pain killer cord from inside my shoulders each time.

Hope you have a good recovery.
It was explained to me, no other joint has the full rotation in almost every direction as the rotator !!
Old 12-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Mistrezz 06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks guys, lots of broken parts in this forum !!! I also broke my femur in 3 parts 12 years ago when I felt from my Harley, still have the plates n screws.

Good luck to you skydiven on your surgery, I'm like you rather be at work than gaining pounds at home.

Pounder is right the older you get the harder to shake the pounds.

Last edited by Mistrezz 06; 12-02-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:51 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mistrezz 06
Thanks guys, lots of broken parts in this forum !!! I also broke my femur in 3 parts 12 years ago when I felt from my Harley, still have the plates n screws.

Good luck to you skydiven on your surgery, I'm like you rather be at work than gaining pounds at home.

Pounder is right the older you get the harder to shake the pounds.
Before my neck surgery in 2002 I weighed 190 and stayed at that weight from mid twenties til then. Could eat drink anything I wanted wouldn't gain a pound. Now I would like just to get to 210 !!!
Old 12-02-2016, 04:52 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Hope you have a speedy recovery. Do your PT!
Mistrezz 06 (12-03-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
Hope you have a speedy recovery. Do your PT!
Mistrezz 06 (12-03-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 08:54 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 324 Posts

Make sure you take your pain medication AS PRESCRIBED for the first couple of weeks. You don't want to let the pain get ahead of what the meds can do. Otherwise it takes awhile to get things back under control and in the meantime you'll be miserable. After a couple of weeks you can consider reducing your frequency of pain meds so you don't develop a dependency.

PT is critical to regain as much motion as possible.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Mistrezz 06 (12-03-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,223 Likes on 13,931 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sure hope you make a quick recovery and can get behind the wheel again to enjoy the car.
Mistrezz 06 (12-03-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Surgery sucks

Old 12-03-2016, 12:20 AM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

I just had shoulder surgery(right) on the 29th, the doctor repair my rotation cuff, four bad ligaments and part of my bicep muscle. In short, I won't be able to drive my girl for at least 6 weeks, heck I'm writing these on my iPad holding it with one hand and pecking away with one finger.

Finally I'm getting around but crap we really take for granted the things we do daily with our arms and feet. Sleeping is the worst, specially when you turn around and the pain reminds you that you had surgery, .

The up side is that I'll be off work for the month of December and that I could spend more time here at the forum.

I post a picture of the house after putting my lights before surgery and my girl on her night gown ready for her nap. I also think I see Pounder right by the polar bear too.

Anyway hope all of you have a wonderful Holiday Season with your love ones and be safe out there.

I know exactly what you are going through.
I had rotator cuff surgery in July.
My biggest problem was sleeping at night.
Really hard to get comfortable.

I didn't drive until week number 2.
I managed quite well driving.(course I have an automatic)
I started physical therapy in mid september, but had to stop in mid october because the therapist was too aggressive, and re-tore the cuff again.

I'm not in any pain, so the doctor and I decided to let it heal naturally with scar tissue.
It will over time, and time is all any of us have.
One thing the Dr. mentioned was that at 50 to 60 years of age, the percentage of men that will suffer this problem is 35%, and above 65, over 50% of men will have rotator cuff surgery.
Be patient, take your meds, and try to relax as much as you can.

My right shoulder is starting to show signs of a torn rotator, but I am determined not to have surgery on that one.
I will let my body do it's work and hopefully heal it over time.

I still don't have full mobility of the arm that was operated on, but I am a hell of a lot better since I stopped the therapy.
At least there is no pain anymore.
I found the pain was worse the 2 days following surgery, then got progressively better in the days that followed.

I think by week 2 the pain was just about gone.
Best of luck in your healing process.

Bob.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:33 AM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
Make sure you take your pain medication AS PRESCRIBED for the first couple of weeks. You don't want to let the pain get ahead of what the meds can do. Otherwise it takes awhile to get things back under control and in the meantime you'll be miserable. After a couple of weeks you can consider reducing your frequency of pain meds so you don't develop a dependency.

PT is critical to regain as much motion as possible.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

PT is critical early on(about a month following surgery.), but pay very close attention to what the therapist is doing.
If you are experiencing discomfort tell him/her.
For myself, one exercise has helped more than anything else, and that is the pulley exercise.

I started that in therapy, and then installed one in the house.
The uninjured arm raises the arm that was operated on, and allows the shoulder to gain enough mobility to be able to raise the arm more than if the pulley wasn't used.

Today, I can raise my arm naturally about 3/4 to it's fully extended position above my head.

That I feel I owe to using the pulley.

Bob.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:10 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

You guys are making me feel very lucky. A couple of winters ago I slipped on ice, didn't break anything but many weeks of chiro fixed me up with no surgery. My doc is the chiropractor for the N.Y.Yankees and the US Olympic teams, also on the IOC board. Luckily he's fairly local to me. Worst thing that ever happened to me was a sudden prostate problem while on vacation. I had to drive home from southern Florida to NJ with a catheter inserted while in my Z06. I never had to stop for rest stops though. I warned my wife she'd have to give me warning on her needs. Fill up the gas tank and empty the other.
Mistrezz 06 (12-03-2016)

Quick Reply: Surgery sucks