High Mileage C5's

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Jamesbeye
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage C5's

Hello All

I'm the market for a C5 preferably a Z06, this would be my first corvette. I have loved everything about the C5's for years and finally in the position to buy one.

What is the prevailing opinion on mileage for the C5's, 100K miles plus? Should I stay away? What are the typical things I should look for in a high mileage C5?

Any advice would be helpful or if anyone is selling a M/T C5 close to the Las Vegas Area let me know.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:05 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Read and re-read the stickies as they have all the info you need. My car is pushing 140k miles and I am in the process of redoing the suspension wearables. I just did the clutch (ls7) and should have all new bushings and bearings on all 4 corners with shocks (C6Z) and sway bars (C6 Z51), too.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Stickies are a good resource.

A C5 is a car just like any other car and like any other used car you look for the same variables; service is done and up to date, etc. Tires on C5s tend to not last long. Make sure whatever you are buying either has good tires or tires are budgeted for. Other than that it's what you can afford I guess. Personally I'd budget for the best car I can afford, not buy something potentially a little cheaper but then have to put money into it. You'll become acquainted with the "Corvette tax" really quick if the car is nickle and dime situation all the time.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:36 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Not knowing you money to spend and your mechanical skills to do DIY repairs, my suggestion to include what has been said previously is to make sure any C5 you buy is in the best mechanical and electric state that your money can buy. The exterior and interior blemishes are easily fixed. Not so with the mechanics and electric issues on the C5 if there are some. Good luck in your search. I had fun with mine. Took 7 months but I found the one that fits my needs that I have now owned 2+ years and counting.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:18 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

One thing I noticed when shopping for my car, there are few 15+ year old used cars out there as clean as a used Vette.
The following users liked this post:
Brunello (05-22-2020)
Old 12-02-2016, 07:19 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Shop carefully. I bought a '04 convertible this past winter. I had 82000 miles that's too bad, BUT, it was a completely STOCK one owner southern car and came with a clean Carfax. On checking the GM records I was able to find out that ALL the normal problems had already been fixed.

It required a few (cheap) small fixes, I added the shift light delete and then drove it a painless 3000 this summer. Either I was very lucky or by doing my due diligence it payed off big time. !00 % satisfied new owner. I hope you can do the same.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:02 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

I bought my 2003 Z06 with 167000 miles on it. It now has over 260000 miles. It has been very reliable. I did have to do tranny work on it this year but I'm not complaining.

Just remember this is a car you want not one you need. Be patient and wait for the right one to come along. You will know it when you find it.

Last edited by 3sACROWD; 12-02-2016 at 08:23 PM.
JerriVette (05-19-2020)
Old 12-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

As others have said, the stickies are a very good resource for learning what to look for in a used Vette. Also, consider having a trusted mechanic look the car over plus pull the codes off the Driver's Information Center and post them up here for comment.
Toys4Life C5 (05-19-2020)
Old 12-02-2016, 10:41 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by 66dts-v
One thing I noticed when shopping for my car, there are few 15+ year old used cars out there as clean as a used Vette.

I have noticed the same and I would venture to guess it's because of two reasons...most Vettes were purchased as toys and thus are treated as such, and they were fairly expensive new, so most people tend to take better care of them than they would their DDs. Good for us!
Old 12-02-2016, 11:15 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

If you find a car you like and are reasonably certain it has been well maintained, then you can drive it anywhere and enjoy it. I just did a 2k mile trip this summer in our 2000 C5 Vert that had a 120k miles on it and it ran like a top...good luck with your search!
Old 12-03-2016, 08:04 AM
Omaha Flash
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
Stickies are a good resource.

A C5 is a car just like any other car and like any other used car you look for the same variables; service is done and up to date, etc. Tires on C5s tend to not last long. Make sure whatever you are buying either has good tires or tires are budgeted for. Other than that it's what you can afford I guess. Personally I'd budget for the best car I can afford, not buy something potentially a little cheaper but then have to put money into it. You'll become acquainted with the "Corvette tax" really quick if the car is nickle and dime situation all the time.
I agree, Corvettes are just like any other car. I think the difference is for the most part (not always) they have received better than average care for the miles they have been driven. I bought mine I April with 92,000 miles and was a little concerned but it was obvious that it had been well cared for, was completely stock and the former owners were not do-it-yourself mechanics. Other than minor maintenance items it has been trouble free. The good part is I paid considerably less due to the miles.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:28 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

2002 and newer would be a smart move on a c5 z06.

Preferably mostly stock would be a smart move.

I have over 103k miles on my c6 z51 m6 and it's been utterly reliable.

Mostly stock is the key.

My c5 z06 modded with cam was what caused its early demise. In my opinion.

GM products are validated for 300k miles.

Usually easy to fix parts like alternator, water pump are wear items to figure you ll eventually need to replace but other than that ..just change the oil and tires.

The GM engineers designed in a protection system to run the cylinders off and on to protect the engine on bad water pump scenarios and the dash lights up to get you to turn off the engine.

Imo just buy AAA plus or gold for a hundred or so dollars so you have 100 mile tow for free situations.

Enjoy the car because it's utterly reliable. Just giving you advice.the cars are awesome and even with 103k miles my corvette even though a c6 runs like new...

I'm not kidding..it's unbelievable
ripken85 (05-19-2020)
Old 12-03-2016, 10:24 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Jamesbeye
Hello All

I'm the market for a C5 preferably a Z06, this would be my first corvette. I have loved everything about the C5's for years and finally in the position to buy one.

What is the prevailing opinion on mileage for the C5's, 100K miles plus? Should I stay away? What are the typical things I should look for in a high mileage C5?

Any advice would be helpful or if anyone is selling a M/T C5 close to the Las Vegas Area let me know.
If you are looking for a higher milage car, I'd highly recommend a one owner....

There are still a lot of nice rides available that have been taken well care of all these years....

Good luck....
ripken85 (05-19-2020)
Old 12-04-2016, 04:17 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

As above, STICKIES! I would much rather have a highly maintained and fussed over higher mileage C5 than one who has an iffy maintenance record and noticeable deferred maintenance. Look for the best C5 you can afford, insist on maintenance records and a thorough end to end by a knowledgeable C5 shop. I would try to avoid modded cars, they can be extremely risky (not talking about shifters, cat backs etc). A stock or very near stock C5 is a safer bet for a good C5 experience. Get a good clean stocker and make it your own. Be patient, figure out exactly what you want and then go looking for that particular car. Be very fussy and demanding, extremely nice and well cared for C5's are out there, just take the time to look. Good luck and best wishes!
ripken85 (05-19-2020)
Old 12-04-2016, 07:52 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

See post #6. I have to admit I was verrrry lucky. The '04 I bought was the FIRST C5 I had ever driven ! It did everything it was supposed to do and did it well, I figured "why let this one get away". Right car, right color and right price. Never looked back, color me satisfied.
ripken85 (05-19-2020)
Old 07-14-2018, 10:20 AM
jwater61
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamesbeye
Hello All

Not sure if is the C5 you are looking, I live in Summerlin call me at 303-505-1550 Colorado cell but I do live in Las Vegas.
2003 Corvette Coupe for sale. This corvette comes with custom (Dupont Chamaeleon) color that gets a lot of attention wherever it goes. All miles are original, Auto Trans, AM-FM-CD Bose stereo & speakers, Single in dash CD player, 12 CD player & changer in rear, Heads up Display works great, 2-Targa tops one is custom color paint match the other is tinted, Corvette calipers and disk breaks,
Cad back Flow Master Exhaust, Factory 5 chrome spoke aluminum rims, Used spare set of tires valued at $400.00, 2-Factory keys FOB's, Power seats, Tinted windows, clear logo plate front cover, 50th anniversary badges, Cold-air chrome dual K&M filter intake and it runs great. Fun car to have and drive, it's a must have.
My asking price is $17,500.00 or Best Offer
Year : 2003
Make : Chevrolet
Model : Corvette
Mileage : 46,360 miles
Transmission : Automatic
Exterior Color : Custom Color (Dupont Chamaeleon)
Interior Color : Light Gray seats are in (great condition)
Series : Coupe with two tops
Drivetrain : RWD
Condition : Very Good
VIN : By Request
Engine : 5.7L 420hp
Old 05-19-2020, 03:03 PM
ripken85
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that I have talked to enough people today, that I have decided to stick to my guns and purchase a C5, just going to shoot for the best condition and close to stock with low mileage as possible!!

Thank you all so much for the opinions and advice. Great community here!

Get notified of new replies

To High Mileage C5's

Old 05-19-2020, 07:27 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by ripken85
I think that I have talked to enough people today, that I have decided to stick to my guns and purchase a C5, just going to shoot for the best condition and close to stock with low mileage as possible!!

Thank you all so much for the opinions and advice. Great community here!
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Beware that the lower the miles, the higher asking price will be. There are actaully quite a few low mileage C5s still available, but don't be shocked at the number of them you'll find with an asking price north of $20K. For some reason, sellers of C5s with less than 30K miles seem to think that makes these cars museum pieces...
Old 05-19-2020, 07:46 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

First decide what you want to spend. Then decide z06 , targa or vert. The. Decide transmission. Then pick what color exterior and what color interior.

then stay close to stock as heavily modded cars can be a royal pain in the butt.

i answered this thread in 12/3/16 with 103k miles. Im reaching 142k miles this month. the corvette both c5 and c6 are awesome.

no question Id drive my corvette across the country and back without a care in the world.

Take your time. Have fun. Good luck

Old 05-20-2020, 10:58 AM
roegs
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
For some reason, sellers of C5s with less than 30K miles seem to think that makes these cars museum pieces...
Others seem to think that low mileage owners should give them away. These cars are around the 20 year mark. While lower mileage stock cars are out there, they are further between. If you don't like the price, don't accuse the owner. Simply move on.

Quick Reply: High Mileage C5's