C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a underhood lamp kit

Old 12-03-2016, 02:12 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default Installing a underhood lamp kit

I bought a GM under hood lamp kit for my 2010 base. The part # is 19165568. I am having difficulty finding the connector plug that I am supposed to plug into with the harness that was sent with the kit. The area in question is on the passenger side near the hood hinge. Can someone tell me where this connector plug is that I am supposed to connect to? Here is a pic of the directions if it helps. If someone has the light, could you look at what it is plugged into? thanks much
Old 12-03-2016, 03:20 PM
montyred07
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Default hood ;amp

Originally Posted by 449er

I bought a GM under hood lamp kit for my 2010 base. The part # is 19165568. I am having difficulty finding the connector plug that I am supposed to plug into with the harness that was sent with the kit. The area in question is on the passenger side near the hood hinge. Can someone tell me where this connector plug is that I am supposed to connect to? Here is a pic of the directions if it helps. If someone has the light, could you look at what it is plugged into? thanks much
the plug is connected to the area near the radiator It has a orange cap pull it off two little blue plugs inside look down and it looks like there should be something plugged into it
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
449er (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 03:42 PM
449er
Race Director

Yep, I saw that plug that is mounted on the side of the radiator looking up at you, but the light harness plug would not plug into it, now I realize that there was a cap that was over the factory plug that needed to be removed, thanks
Old 12-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Sky High
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I always wondered why they did away with this being they still built the car with all the wiring intact. Could the bean counters have just been trying to save a buck by eliminating the light?
Old 12-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky High
I always wondered why they did away with this being they still built the car with all the wiring intact. Could the bean counters have just been trying to save a buck by eliminating the light?
One of the reasons for eliminating the underhood lamp may be that on earlier C6's (like my '05), the position switch that energizes the lamp when the hood is raised did not always work properly, allowing the lamp to stay on & then running down the battery (one of the reasons for DBF in earlier C6's). I got a small rocker switch at Radio Shack (are they still in business?) & wired it into the circuit under the hood liner. Gives me a positive "Off" for the lamp.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:32 PM
rado63
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I added the under hood light when I placed the colored cross flag liner. You can see in the photo that the light is not on, because I leave it unplugged so as not to risk any battery drain open or closed.

Cross Flags Under Hood Liner and Light
Old 12-03-2016, 07:38 PM
449er
Race Director

After the install, the under hood light comes on & times out with the interior lights, it also cycles on & off as the hood is raised or lowered, so I am not so worried that it will remain on & drain the battery even if the hood switch malfunctions

Last edited by 449er; 12-03-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:47 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Did you save the orange cap, and can I have it?????

I unplugged my hood light a long time ago and filled it with dielectric grease, but would be nice to have the OEM cap instead.

Hell, if you would have said something, you could have the light kit out of my hood as well, and just sent me the filler cap you pulled from the liner when you installed the light kit. Hence on the first vets with the hood light deleted, they use the hood liners for the early models, and just had a plastic snap in plastic piece that filled the hole for the hood light on the liner instead.

As for the female plug connector on the vets that did not come with the hood light kit, it's often tucked under the car on the passenger side of the radiator. Just fish it out, pull it up to snap the prong connector into the side hole of the radiator shroud with the top cap removed, and then plug the light kit connector into it.

go to post #3 and it will walk you through it.
Note, on some of the later vets, GM did not press the connector tab into the radiator hole to hold it in place there, but left is tucked under the car instead where is comes off the harness. So if you don't see it on the lower side of the radiator shroud, don't panic, since you will just need to get under the car to find the connector off the harness, and pull it into the position instead (once you have removed the top cover cap), and snap it to the shroud.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ood-light.html

Last edited by Dano523; 12-04-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:14 PM
montyred07
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Default lite cap

Originally Posted by Dano523
Did you save the orange cap, and can I have it?????

I unplugged my hood light a long time ago and filled it with dielectric grease, but would be nice to have the OEM cap instead.

Hell, if you would have said something, you could have the light kit out of my hood as well, and just sent me the filler cap you pulled from the liner when you installed the light kit. Hence on the first vets with the hood light deleted, they use the hood liners for the early models, and just had a plastic snap in plastic piece that filled the hole for the hood light on the liner instead.

As for the female plug connector on the vets that did not come with the hood light kit, it's often tucked under the car on the passenger side of the radiator. Just fish it out, pull it up to snap the prong connector into the side hole of the radiator shroud with the top cap removed, and then plug the light kit connector into it.

go to post #3 and it will walk you through it.
Note, on some of the later vets, GM did not press the connector tab into the radiator hole to hold it in place there, but left is tucked under the car instead where is comes off the harness. So if you don't see it on the lower side of the radiator shroud, don't panic, since you will just need to get under the car to find the connector off the harness, and pull it into the position instead (once you have removed the top cover cap), and snap it to the shroud.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ood-light.html
I saved the what is shown in the pictures you can have need your address the little caps inside where green I did my install the lite comes on when I hit the lite switch not when I pop open the hood stays lite for about 5 minutes then goes off
Attached Images   

Last edited by montyred07; 12-04-2016 at 03:16 PM. Reason: add info
Old 12-04-2016, 04:16 PM
kingeak
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 39 Posts

Or just get this.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-pro...led-light.html
Old 12-04-2016, 04:37 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

You shouldn't need to tap the housing to get the light to light up with the hood open.

If you pull the lens cover like when you need to replace the bulb, will see the switch that will activate the light when you lift the hood to correct the problem.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:30 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

I was wondering where that plug was. I will utilize it soon with an L.E.D. light strip and a switch for my car. I love learing about these little things on this forum.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing a underhood lamp kit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing a underhood lamp kit