2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Some Days, the Corvette Is a Target

I ventured out three times yesterday to run some errands on a beautiful SW Florida December day. The roads are beginning to fill up with the seasonal tourists and snow birds, but I wasn't going to let that stop me from enjoying a great day driving my C5 vert.

I know this comes with the territory, however, it seemed as though no matter where I was, what time it was, or the amount of traffic, my Corvette was a magnet for the boy racers in their Mustang GTs, Dodge Neons, and lifted pick up trucks. On three separate occasions I saw these guys through my rear view mirror weave in and out of traffic just to catch up with me, coast into my blind spot and then rev gears to play. All in fun I guess, but during heavy seasonal traffic, it felt more like a chore than a pleasure to drive yesterday.

I know my tweaked and slightly modded and tuned 350 HP LS1 is tame by comparison to some of the more current high performance models, but I can't imagine what it's going to be like when I add the 650HP C7Z to the stable in the near future as I've already started shopping. Will these guys still act this crazy or will it be even worse?!

Funny, I never see these guys when driving our SUV.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:39 AM
doublenut9
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts

It will be worse. You find knotheads everywhere.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:53 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

I understand your restraint being in traffic and all, and I wouldn't play in those conditions either, but given some more vacant stretches of road, those vehicles would be served up on a platter to even a stock C5...unless were talkin Rousch Mustangs, or Wildcats, or 500+ hp Camaros...those other vehicles would be lunch for a C5, let alone a C5Z...
Old 12-04-2016, 11:55 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I ventured out three times yesterday to run some errands on a beautiful SW Florida December day. The roads are beginning to fill up with the seasonal tourists and snow birds, but I wasn't going to let that stop me from enjoying a great day driving my C5 vert.

I know this comes with the territory, however, it seemed as though no matter where I was, what time it was, or the amount of traffic, my Corvette was a magnet for the boy racers in their Mustang GTs, Dodge Neons, and lifted pick up trucks. On three separate occasions I saw these guys through my rear view mirror weave in and out of traffic just to catch up with me, coast into my blind spot and then rev gears to play. All in fun I guess, but during heavy seasonal traffic, it felt more like a chore than a pleasure to drive yesterday.

I know my tweaked and slightly modded and tuned 350 HP LS1 is tame by comparison to some of the more current high performance models, but I can't imagine what it's going to be like when I add the 650HP C7Z to the stable in the near future as I've already started shopping. Will these guys still act this crazy or will it be even worse?!

Hi MSG C5, What kind of rims are those?? They look freakin' awesome!!!
The following users liked this post:
MSG C5 (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 11:58 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
Hi MSG C5, What kind of rims are those?? They look freakin' awesome!!!
Thanks. CCW 505As. Love em. What's also great is that they are bare polished aluminum so I've already been able to wet sand remove a couple light curb kisses over the years to keep them looking as good as new.

Last edited by MSG C5; 12-04-2016 at 12:03 PM.
02BlownZ06 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 12:02 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by grampi50
I understand your restraint being in traffic and all, and I wouldn't play in those conditions either, but given some more vacant stretches of road, those vehicles would be served up on a platter to even a stock C5...unless were talkin Rousch Mustangs, or Wildcats, or 500+ hp Camaros...those other vehicles would be lunch for a C5, let alone a C5Z...
The lifted truck especially was funny. These guys are everywhere around where I live. He was hauling *** to catch up with me and then when I slowed down and flipped on my turn signal heading into my neighborhood entrance he pulled up, revved his engine, and smoked the cars behind him.

Some guys interpret this as aggressive behavior, however I interpret it as guys being guys and laugh at it. Owning a Corvette certainly brings it out in some people as they can spot us miles away.

As mentioned, it comes with the territory.

Last edited by MSG C5; 12-04-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:07 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

The lifted truck especially was funny. These guys are everywhere around where I live. He was hauling *** to catch up with me and then when I slowed down and flipped on my turn signal heading into my neighborhood entrance he pulled up, revved his engine, and smoked the cars behind him.

Some guys interpret this as aggressive behavior, however I interpret it as guys being guys and laugh at it. Owning a Corvette certainly brings it out in some people as they can spot us miles away.

As mentioned, it comes with the territory.

Yes it does, and as long as it's all in good fun, no harm....I can't wait to draw this stuff when I get my C5!
Old 12-04-2016, 12:31 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

This one forum salesman has sold over 4000 vettes. Here his Sunday edition. A go to guy for your new Z when shopping.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=3913746

Last edited by cor28vettes; 12-04-2016 at 12:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cor28vettes:
Mike Furman@Criswell (12-04-2016), MSG C5 (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 12:36 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
This one forum salesman has has sold over 4000 vettes. Here his Sunday edition. A go to guy for your new Z when shopping.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=3913746
Thanks. Very aware of Mike and his dealership. A friend of mine just ordered his 2016 Z06 through Mike for Museum delivery.

I also just checked the Chevrolet build it website and they are now including manufacturing discounts. The Z06 I priced out last week is now $8K less and that's before dealer negotiations.

This time of year is a great time to buy a new sports car especially living in Florida but I may need to buy out of state.

My planned build is pretty unique so I don't expect to find the exact car I want on a dealer lot but I might be surprised. I plan to wait until after the Detroit auto show to see if GM debuts the new ZR1 or Z06X track edition per all the photo rumors. It probably won't effect my final decision, but it may further drive prices down and some of the expected cooling enhancements may work their way into the Z06.
cor28vettes (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 12:42 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

I hear ya. Being the center of attention is why I bought my Vette. I just can't get enough. The looks, the waves, the posers, the wanna be's, the shutter bugs. They all love my car and are so jealous! It's gotten so bad, or should I say so good I can hardly get to the gun club, bank, Rolex store, concealed carry class or any of the numerous places I frequent in my road rocket. It's even getting hard to find two empty parking stalls to cross park my gawker magnet. Keep cruising and stay safe my brother!
Old 12-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Mistrezz 06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts

I heard you brother, last week it happens to me, this young gun on a little Japanese took off with me off the stop light. I was messing up with him and let him go half a car ahead but then I pressed the gas and catch up with him again. Long story short he got pissed and started weaving in and out of traffic when we catch up with traffic, I just let him along to make him feel that he beat me.

Traffic is getting busy with holiday shoppers and I defenetly wasn't going to wreak my girl.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Why let it bother you? It doesn't bother me and I see these children every time I take my car out. Yes children.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:29 PM
Scylla
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

It happens. After work on Tuesday, I pulled up to an intersection next to a ricey looking prelude. My car has a couple of mods, but nothing externally visible, so from his point of view, a woman in a stock C5 pulled up next to him at a stop light. The guy glanced at me and started reving his engine and lurching his car forwards. I cocked an eyebrow and faced forwards. The turn signal on this particular intersection always activates before the main light, and the twitchy Prelude guy jumped the gun and floored it when the turn signal turned green, realized what he was doing and slammed on the brakes, screeching to a stop halfway into the intersection, his car dove hard and bounced up and down like he was on $500 Chinese coilovers. The light turned green, and I launched myself a couple blocks ahead of him just throttling through first gear, clutching in and coasting down.

Why this Prelude person did this, I don't know. Modded or not, it's a prelude and a hamster wheel operating at 300hp still does not make torque That's one of the funnier stories I have to share, but young guys trying to impress girls who drive performance cars leads to a lot of awkward situations

Last edited by Scylla; 12-04-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:33 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by Scylla
It happens. After work on Tuesday, I pulled up to an intersection next to a ricey looking prelude. My car has a couple of mods, but nothing externally visible, so from his point of view, a woman in a stock C5 pulled up next to him at a stop light. The guy glanced at me and started reving his engine and lurching his car forwards. I cocked an eyebrow and faced forwards. The turn signal on this particular intersection always activates before the main light, and the twitchy Prelude guy jumped the gun and floored it when the turn signal turned green, realized what he was doing and slammed on the brakes, screeching to a stop halfway into the intersection, his car dove hard and bounced up and down like he was on $500 Chinese coilovers. The light turned green, and I launched myself a couple blocks ahead of him just throttling through first gear, clutching in and coasting down.

Why this Prelude person did this, I don't know. Modded or not, it's a prelude and a hamster wheel operating at 300hp still does not make torque That's one of the more ridiculous stories I have to share so far, but the tendency for young guys to try to impress girls who drive performance cars leads to some pretty funny circumstances
Scylla (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 01:37 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,296 Likes on 13,969 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Guys trying to act all macho is just something you come to accept. Best course of action is to just ignore them.
Scylla (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Scylla
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Guys trying to act all macho is just something you come to accept. Best course of action is to just ignore them.
I only got up to around 50mph, clutched in and coasted down to around 40. The reason it was funny is... he was in a prelude, I mean what's he going to do? Pop a nitrous canister in first gear and blow his transmission up?

I mean sure, if a Prelude overtook me I would be impressed and probably want to talk to the driver, so I should probably take the whole situation as a compliment. I don't drag race or try to top out on streets, past that part of my life, I had to get responsible.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:07 PM
Scylla
Instructor

By the way, your car looks amazing, I love the rims and your styling choices... but your red calipers and GS striping does kind of scream bad ***... So you might be asking for it a little

Get notified of new replies

To Some Days, the Corvette Is a Target

Old 12-04-2016, 02:32 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Are you going to keep that C5? It's a very good looking car, especially compared to a C7.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:55 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Funniest one I ever had was a guy in a Ridgeline who glued himself to my back bumper down a twisty back road. The sharpest curve on that road looks pretty much like any other curve, but it sharpens radically as you go round it - ends up as more than a 90 degree turn. He was still tucked in as I went round. No idea what happened, but when I looked back afterwards, he was way back, going very slowly. Underwear no longer comfortable, I guess.....

Last edited by jackthelad; 12-04-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:09 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Scylla
By the way, your car looks amazing, I love the rims and your styling choices... but your red calipers and GS striping does kind of scream bad ***... So you might be asking for it a little
Thanks. I'm the original owner and I bought the car new in the summer of 2004. The red calipers and Corsa exhaust were my first two mods. I added the fender stripes five years ago just to try something new. I almost pulled them a week later, but decided to keep them on. Since then I've had about a dozen people approach me at shows and cruise ins that they recognize my car on the road by the fender stripes so that's pretty cool.

Originally Posted by zeevette
Are you going to keep that C5? It's a very good looking car, especially compared to a C7.
Thanks. I plan to keep it as I think it will be the perfect garage mate to a C7Z coupe. I've talked to a lot of guys who tell me they wish they would have kept their C5 after moving into a C6 or C7 and I agree that I would miss it as I've put so much personal sweat equity into customizing it to my liking. That's why I waited as long as I have to get ready to pull the trigger on a new C7Z. I wanted to make sure I left enough room in the Corvette hobby fund to keep the C5. Funny, the dealerships I've been talking with regarding a C7Z are all disappointed when I tell them I'm not trading in the C5.

Quick Reply: Some Days, the Corvette Is a Target