Magnaflow system fitment issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 09:20 PM
PEKlNGDUCKK
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Magnaflow system fitment issues

Update 1/6/17
Hey guys, I've finally gotten around to adjusting the exhaust. All in all, it fits like crap. I've adjusted (forced) it enough where it's not physically interfering with the chassis. I had to cut about an inch from the driver's side piping (where it meets the rear muffler) and about two inches of the passenger side piping. Here were my problems:

The mid muffler has a bias towards the driver's side, I have no idea why. The muffler would be rubbing against this screw/nut, causing vibrations throughout the car. I fixed this by muscling it towards the passenger. It clears now, but barely.

This is the hanger on the passenger, the alignment is super off. I had to cut about two inches of piping anyways, so I cut it at a slant to force the mufflers to have a driverside bias to counteract the skewed hanger fitment

This was the driver's side before cutting

This was the passenger side before cutting

Driver's side after cutting

Passenger side after cutting. It clears, but barely.

This is the fitment of the rear piping, look how close (and slightly uneven) it is to the chassis.

I would definitely return the unit, but at this point it is no longer cost-effective to do so. The system sounds great and there aren't any major drones on the highway. I do wish it was a tad bit quieter at the lower gears. There may be a pipe that's vibrating against the chassis, I wouldn't be surprised with the fitment issues I've had. I have confirmed there are no leaks .

The good news is it looks really nice.

Update 12/7/16: I was told my kit is 100% accurate to Magnaflow's design. The issue must be on my end. I will loosen everything up and readjust to see if things will line up better. Stay tuned.

Hello,
I purchase the magaflow catback system for my 93 from zip corvette this weekend (PT: 16837), the fitment is all off! The biggest problem is the rear mufflers. It seems like they're angled way too far down, it seem like someone accidentally welded the coupling pipe 180. They're also hitting the frame. See image below

Now I decided to flip it 180, and it fit great! This isn't useable obviously because the hangers are welded on other side.. See below for the fitment when I flipped everything 180 degrees

I flipped the mufflers 180 degrees for a better fit... but this wouldn't work because the hangers now and upside down.

My second issue is that the rear pipes are hitting against the frame, which causes vibration as I accelerate. Anyone with these issues? Any insights?

Thank you

Last edited by PEKlNGDUCKK; 01-06-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:30 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me if the hangers were welded on the wrong side. Seems an easy manufacturing mistake to make, especially since they fit perfectly when turned 180.

I am betting Magnaflow or the distributor you bought them through will help make it right or at least help you find where the problem is.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:28 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

FWIW, I've purchased magnaflow components on two separate occasions, and had fitment issues both times. my first experience, was on my steel blue 90. the distance between exhaust manifold flanges on the front y-pipe was too narrow by about .75 inches, and the main cat collector would not mate with the (magnaflow) main cat. seems like the factory got their ID/OD dimensions screwed up. fortunately, a muffler shop was able to expand the end of the y-pipe. the holes on the manifold flanges were also way to big. the exaust manifold flange nuts would damn near pull right the flange. had to get thick SS washers to solve the problem. my second experience was a main cat for my 85 (modified the 85 for 86-91 system). seems that the A.I.R. tube was on the wrong side of the cat, and the exit flange had a funny angle. I was able to flip the cat 180, but the angled flange gave me all kinds of fitment issues. overall, I was able to use the magnaflow parts, but only with some rework. overall, I give magnaflow an "A+" for finish - stuff does look good, but only a "C" for fitment. anyway, bottom line, i'm pretty much done with magnaflow. never had issues like this with walker, flowmaster, or corsa.

edit: BTW, all my complaints to magnaflow fell on deaf ears! customer service, I give them an "F"

Last edited by Joe C; 12-05-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:29 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

DIY exhausts are often like that. If I ever installed a cat-back (or the like) and didn't have to "tweak" something, I'd be amazed. Guess I'm fortunate enough to have the tools to fabricate, alter, weld, cut - whatever it takes to make it fit - and Magnaflow was NO different - have them now.

A trip to an exhaust shop might be what it takes to get it right - by that I mean "perfect" to my specs. Find a good one that has someone who understands your desire for esthetic as well as functional requirements.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 12-05-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:45 AM
PEKlNGDUCKK
Advanced

Disappointing. I didn't think a company (and price) of this caliber would still have this many issues. I've Emailed magnaflow, I guess we'll see what they say.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:18 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

That is how the system fits. The hangers are not on the wrong side. They just hang low like that.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:34 AM
PEKlNGDUCKK
Advanced

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
That is how the system fits. The hangers are not on the wrong side. They just hang low like that.
I see from your avatar picture that your mufflers are pretty tucked in. Would you have more pictures of your setup? I don't understand how yours looks so straight while mine looks like it's pointed towards the ground. I also don't know why my rear mufflers are hitting against the chassis.

Also, the brackets for the mid resonators are located too far up the transmission tunnel. The springs that are holding the resonators in are pretty much maxed out streched towards the front of the car. Did you run into that issue?

Thanks for your input

Last edited by PEKlNGDUCKK; 12-05-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:46 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I agree with Paul, take it to a good muffler shop and have them adjust and then weld the pipes. If you ever have to remove it reinstall will be a breeze. Spending a little more on an expensive system is well worth it.

Had both my flowmaster and Corsa done this way.

Last edited by FASTAZU; 12-05-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:04 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by PEKlNGDUCKK
I see from your avatar picture that your mufflers are pretty tucked in. Would you have more pictures of your setup? I don't understand how yours looks so straight while mine looks like it's pointed towards the ground. I also don't know why my rear mufflers are hitting against the chassis.

Also, the brackets for the mid resonators are located too far up the transmission tunnel. The springs that are holding the resonators in are pretty much maxed out streched towards the front of the car. Did you run into that issue?

Thanks for your input
I removed the Magnaflow system last year and installed Corsa which is what you see in my Avatar. I didn't have any clearance issues with my Magnaflow but I never liked the way the cans hung so low. It is a big 3" system. Install the entire system and with everything loose, then move & pull until you get it as close as you can. Then tighten up.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:40 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Mines been chopped to pieces over the years but I remember having to tweak it quite a bit for a nice fit.

Like Torch said, hang it loose at all of the connections and go from there.

Is it possible the two pipes from the resonator to the mufflers are on the wrong side?
Old 12-05-2016, 04:12 PM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver85
It wouldn't surprise me if the hangers were welded on the wrong side. Seems an easy manufacturing mistake to make, especially since they fit perfectly when turned 180.

I am betting Magnaflow or the distributor you bought them through will help make it right or at least help you find where the problem is.
X 2 - I have them on my '94 - fits are fine - but they are loud - had the plug up one outlet each side - ok now.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:42 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Disappointing. I didn't think a company (and price) of this caliber would still have this many issues. I've Emailed magnaflow, I guess we'll see what they say.
as I said,

...all my complaints to magnaflow fell on deaf ears! customer service, I give them an "F"
good luck with that one!

Last edited by Joe C; 12-07-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:19 PM
0Magna_Flow
Former Vendor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Peking, we're sorry to hear that you are having fitment issues with your new system. This exhaust, like most of the ones we offer, uses slip joints which take some adjustment in order for everything to sit properly. We would recommend loosening all of the clamps, adjusting the pipes (specifically the ones between the resonator and rear mufflers), then tightening all the clamps starting at the front of the car and working backward.

Please give our customer service line a call tomorrow at your earliest convenience so that we can walk you through some steps. You can reach us at 1-800-990-0905 from 7am-5pm pacific time. Our support team works as hard as possible to answer all of the emails, but can take a few business days due to the high volume we receive.

Last edited by Magna_Flow; 12-06-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:08 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I blame all your troubles to you. If you would had done a search you wpuld found out Magnacrap customer service is f*cked up.

Im a two time Magnacrap owner, look for my threads.

Do yourself a favor, return it and buy a Corsa,if you dont the drone will drive you nuts.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:26 AM
PEKlNGDUCKK
Advanced

Originally Posted by Magna_Flow
Peking, we're sorry to hear that you are having fitment issues with your new system. This exhaust, like most of the ones we offer, uses slip joints which take some adjustment in order for everything to sit properly. We would recommend loosening all of the clamps, adjusting the pipes (specifically the ones between the resonator and rear mufflers), then tightening all the clamps starting at the front of the car and working backward.

Please give our customer service line a call tomorrow at your earliest convenience so that we can walk you through some steps. You can reach us at 1-800-990-0905 from 7am-5pm pacific time. Our support team works as hard as possible to answer all of the emails, but can take a few business days due to the high volume we receive.
Hi. I've already called tech support. From what the tech told me, it looks like on the official specifications the slip joint is suppose to be flat and not on an angle (like mine). He is confirming this with the engineering team and will be getting back to me, hopefully soon. I PM'd you with a name of the tech I spoke with, perhaps you can help me follow up?

Thank you
Old 12-07-2016, 05:27 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
Mines been chopped to pieces over the years but I remember having to tweak it quite a bit for a nice fit.

Like Torch said, hang it loose at all of the connections and go from there.

Is it possible the two pipes from the resonator to the mufflers are on the wrong side?
I thought of that too. (Swapping them might do the trick....might.)
Old 12-07-2016, 10:59 AM
PEKlNGDUCKK
Advanced

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I thought of that too. (Swapping them might do the trick....might.)
They are on the correct side. It is impossible to flip them because the hangers would be too close to the chassis, which woulddn't allow me to bolt it up to the hanger springs. Thank you for the suggestion.

Last edited by PEKlNGDUCKK; 12-07-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnaflow system fitment issues

Old 12-07-2016, 12:49 PM
PEKlNGDUCKK
Advanced

Update: I was told my kit is 100% accurate to their design. The issue must be on my end. I will loosen everything up and readjust to see if things will line up better. Stay tuned.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:04 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Update: I was told my kit is 100% accurate to their design. The issue must be on my end. I will loosen everything up and readjust to see if things will line up better. Stay tuned.
You may have the pipes swapped. The pieces that goes from the pumpkin to the mufflers are side specific.

I say it again dude, take that crap off, and return it.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:15 PM
PEKlNGDUCKK
Advanced

Originally Posted by PLRX
You may have the pipes swapped. The pieces that goes from the pumpkin to the mufflers are side specific.

I say it again dude, take that crap off, and return it.
It is impossible to flip them because the hangers would be too close to the chassis, which woulddn't allow me to bolt it up to the hanger springs. I've also confimed with maganaflow that the hangers should be towards the ground. Thank you for the suggestion.

I will give it another attempt before thinking about returning it.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow system fitment issues