C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did autocross yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:52 AM
Katie22
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Did autocross yesterday

Hi all. For the first time in my life I did autocross. Picture about 30 Corvettes only at this wonderful track laid out with traffic cones.

I did about seven times through the track. My best time was 33.1. The best time for the day was 30 something. Mind you I was going against ZR1s and Z06s.

I Had a chance to ride in a Lingenfelter ZR1 with 750hp. That was literally like being in a car glued to the ground.

What I can report to you though is that my car with the mag shocks REALLY did a great job holding itself on the track. I didnt turn off any of the computer handling stuff and at times I could feel it saving me from spinning out. Perhaps next time I will turn some of that stuff off. The guy with the best time took my car through the track with none of the computer stuff and he got a 32 something.

I highly recommend anyone at least once try out autocross. These is little chance of hurting your car and truth be told a c6 can hold its own pretty good against a c7.

Katie

Last edited by Katie22; 12-05-2016 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:14 AM
pyrodav
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like fun! Did you hear of any heat problems with the supercharged cars on that course or others?
Old 12-05-2016, 07:18 AM
Katie22
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts

I didn't notice any problems with anyone except one guy in a c5 hit a small street sign but it was minimal damage.

I did see ONE C4 have a LOT of issues with holding its composure going through the course but I suspect it needed suspension work.

The only supercharged car that was really being pushed hard was the zr1 I rode in. The other two were kind of like going for a Sunday drive. They just weren't pushing it from what I could tell. On the other hand there were a lot of c5 and c6 zo6 cars running HARD.

Out of about 30 cars I would say 60% of them were driven hard to get a faster time. The other half were driven milder for a variety of reasons. Hell there was even a 65 vet running the course. Very cool to watch but he was not pushing it hard.

Final note. Some of the people that weren't pushing it were taking time to learn to drive the car with the computer enhancements turned off. That I could imagine really make it a challenge. Also I found that most of the track you used first gear and the paddle shifters to go to second for one or two straightaways. I dont remember the top speeds but I suspect the blown cars could have gotten to 80 for a VERY brief moment and then nail the brakes for next turn.

Last edited by Katie22; 12-05-2016 at 07:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pyrodav (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 08:12 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 832 Likes on 394 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Autocrossing is a lot of fun and under most cases is not that hard on the car. The big thing is being smooth. I was like you the first time out. I left the nannies on.. I now turn them off when ever I am out. I have only done it at one location and that is on a long runway that was used for B-17 training during the war. I would like to try a big parking lot layout someday.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:20 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Used to watch all kinds of autocrossers when I lived elsewhere. Very cool of you to go racing!

Get notified of new replies

To Did autocross yesterday

Quick Reply: Did autocross yesterday