C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dash lights delay in coming on

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 01:41 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Default dash lights delay in coming on

lately when i start the car, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 minutes for the dash lights to come on. usually it's within a afew seconds of start but sometimes it takes a few minutes. any idea what may be causing this?
Old 12-05-2016, 11:21 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

car is the garage, the headlights stay on and it takes a couple of minutes for the sensor to adjust to daylight. This turns the headlights off and the brightens the dash for daylight running.

you should see the headlight emblem light on the dash and you will see it go out when the dash lights brighten.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:39 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mmorse
lately when i start the car, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 minutes for the dash lights to come on. usually it's within a afew seconds of start but sometimes it takes a few minutes. any idea what may be causing this?
When I turn on the headlights/DRLs, it now takes up to 35 minutes for the dash to light up.

It's probably the light sensor on the dash. I would change it out, but with my luck I would break the plastic screen taking it out to get to unplug the light sensor. So, I'm debating to buy the screen and take it back if it doesn't break. It's about $120 for both.

Hope to see you at The Block of Orange on January 1st for the Tour D'Orange. When we do the R'J' cruise to Dana Point, we go right past your house!!!

Sparky

Last edited by ufso; 12-06-2016 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:08 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Light sensor on the dash. You should also notice that your headlights are on during this time. You can manually turn the headlights off to get the dash to light up but I just keep driving out of the neighborhood. By the time I get a few blocks away there is enough light to turn the headlights off and the dash on unless it is very early or late.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:59 AM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

thanks for the info guys. guess if you hang on to a corvette long enough, you will encounter all these "common" issues. this is my sixth vette. only kept the other five for around three years each. going on nine years for my latest one. i'm retired now so probably won't be getting another. have to keep this one on good shape.

Get notified of new replies

To dash lights delay in coming on

Quick Reply: dash lights delay in coming on