Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's involved with installing front tow hook on a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 04:00 PM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 185 Likes on 84 Posts

Default What's involved with installing front tow hook on a C5?

Hello all, I'm thinking about trying out HPDE's in my C5Z next Spring and will most likely pic up a trailer to tow it to and fro.. I've driven other vettes up trailers and it's a little unsettling at times. So I'm thinking open trailer with a winch. So... a front tow hook would be in order. Does the nose have to come off the car to install said tow hook?
Old 12-06-2016, 04:13 PM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Depends on which one you get. Some do not bolt all the way through the frame. They just bolt to it with riv-nuts. The ones that bolt to the frame do not need bumper removal.
The following users liked this post:
jerkyboy (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 04:24 PM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Any particular brand work best?
Old 12-06-2016, 04:28 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

You could always install a tow strap behind the Corvette plate and keep it "hidden" when not in use.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...installed.html

You do have to remove the bumper to have it installed.
jerkyboy (12-06-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 01:50 AM
conradb
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have a diffuser in the rear there? Who makes that?

You can take the bumper off, and you have to mount it by drilling holes in the front frame brace. Here's my setup:

Last edited by conradb; 12-07-2016 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:52 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Its a job that isn't fun. You have to remove the black pieces under the front fascia including the radiator shroud if I remember correctly. You have to drill two holes in the front cross member and use an insert that crushes itself to hold it in place. I wasn't familiar with this type of fastener and it seemed inadequate to pull a car. The first few times I loaded my car on the trailer I had someone sitting in it in the event it failed, they could hit the brake. I've loaded my car 4 or 5 times this year without an issue and I'm beginning to trust the setup.

I originally cut my screen like conradb above. I now just have it removed which I wish was the approach I originally took.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dan H.:
jerkyboy (12-07-2016), shipahoy (05-22-2022)
Old 12-07-2016, 08:46 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Thanks! I have the stock rear valence.

Originally Posted by conradb

You can take the bumper off, and you have to mount it by drilling holes in the front frame brace. Here's my setup:

Old 12-07-2016, 11:29 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

pretty easy. Yes the nose had to come off, but that's easy too.

Last edited by Sox-Fan; 12-07-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:12 PM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Thanks Sox Fan. What brand hook is that? Can you fit the license plat over that? It looks like it detaches at the hinge?
Old 12-07-2016, 01:07 PM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you remove the front bumper you do not need to use nutserts. The front frame cross member is open on each end. Drill your holes in the bottom and put you bolts in through the bottom. You will be able to get your wrench or ratchet in there to hold the nut while you tighten it.
jerkyboy (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 02:45 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by jerkyboy
Thanks Sox Fan. What brand hook is that? Can you fit the license plat over that? It looks like it detaches at the hinge?
I don't know of the company I got it from makes them anymore. Last I knew they got out of the Corvette market. They are an Internet Brands forum sponsor (just not this one)
http://www.powellraceparts.com/contact.php

The website is a mess. Just call or email Gloria.

It does fit under the license plate cover if you mount it properly, and there is an option for the Quick release to just remove it altogether.

Tell them you want the C5 Center mount tow hook like they made for Dave. The usual setup was to pass through one of the side grilles.

Again, I have no idea if they do Corvette stuff anymore. They used to be a vendor here but that was long ago. Now they mostly do sport compacts.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:57 AM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by conradb

This is the one I have, can't recall what company made it. But, you have to drill 2 holes in the frame in a very tight spot, and you have to order a very specific drill size. I got the drill bit, but had to cut it off to have enough room without a 90 drill. The good part was didn't have to take the front off, just the mesh. BTW, when you cut the slot in the mesh, the individual wires are all loose, I put epoxy on each where they cross to keep it all together. The whole affair doesn't stick out the whole length of the hole the hook goes in, but I suppose that's for safety.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I used tow strap through license plate area. 1/2 bolt underside of frame. There was square hole where I started drilling. Holding the nut and getting bumper cover on straight were the tough parts working alone.
jerkyboy (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 10:28 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I use the flexible strap from Hardbar I think. I did have to remove my bumper cover. Not a big deal, but time consuming. With the flexible strap, I can hide it behind license cover when not at the track. I was able to bolt strap into bumper using a bolt and nut as crossmenber is open on both sides. I taped nut to wrench and held it in place inside steel bumper as wife started bolt. Did mine about 4 yrs ago and still working.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:55 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

With the flexible strap... if the track tow truck had to pick up the front of the car using the strap, would it hit the bumper? And are any of the tow hooks strong enough for that?
Old 12-12-2016, 01:00 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure it I would want them to pick mine up by the strap. I did have to make my hole larger because of the angle of the winch and trailer, but it was only maybe another inch. But it doesn't really matter as it is hid behind cover when not at the track.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:57 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

steel cable around the frame.....easy
jerkyboy (12-13-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To What's involved with installing front tow hook on a C5?

Old 12-13-2016, 09:31 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

I'm thinking this is the direction I want to go. Thanks for all the pics and advice! You guys rock!

Originally Posted by waddisme
I use the flexible strap from Hardbar I think. I did have to remove my bumper cover. Not a big deal, but time consuming. With the flexible strap, I can hide it behind license cover when not at the track. I was able to bolt strap into bumper using a bolt and nut as crossmenber is open on both sides. I taped nut to wrench and held it in place inside steel bumper as wife started bolt. Did mine about 4 yrs ago and still working.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:57 PM
milk4coffee
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshboody
I used tow strap through license plate area. 1/2 bolt underside of frame. There was square hole where I started drilling. Holding the nut and getting bumper cover on straight were the tough parts working alone.
Wondering how this has held on over the years?

Anyone using the same thing? I'd prefer to stay in the centre of the front bumper rather than the offset tow hooks so that I don't interfere with the varam intake.

I'd like to do the same kind of setup, but that's a lot of faith in one 1/2" bolt considering I'll winch the car onto a trailer.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:20 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by milk4coffee
Wondering how this has held on over the years?

Anyone using the same thing? I'd prefer to stay in the centre of the front bumper rather than the offset tow hooks so that I don't interfere with the varam intake.

I'd like to do the same kind of setup, but that's a lot of faith in one 1/2" bolt considering I'll winch the car onto a trailer.
Still there, but luckily never had to use it.

Quick Reply: What's involved with installing front tow hook on a C5?