C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Saving old parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 12:36 PM
65VetteVert
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Saving old parts?

I've seen on several threads where someone starting on a new project is advised to save all the old parts. I have replaced many parts on my car, and I have to wonder, is there really a market for these old parts?

I understand saving castings, fuel & water pumps, and the like.

I have original but crusty, pitted parking & tail lights. Pitted door handles and emblems. Torn, sagging glove box liner. Front lamp harness with many splices. Torn carpet, seat covers, and ragtop. Etc, etc...

From what I see on this forum, most are really into very nice cars. There are quality re-pops for most everything.

So is there really a market for these old parts? Why save them?
Old 12-07-2016, 12:40 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Someone will take that pitted parking light, tail light or door handle and have it restored because it's OEM.

Does that make a market for such items? Probably not.
The following users liked this post:
65VetteVert (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 01:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

After I sold my '61 this summer, I subsequently sold off about $4,200 in various parts right here on the forum...old window regulators, starters, door posts, generators, carb parts, a radio and a bunch of other stuff...

Some of it new, but a lot of it old...

Now, a lot of the ragged out 'soft parts' the OP mentions above prob won't be snapped up by anybody..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-07-2016 at 01:08 PM.
65VetteVert (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 02:22 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Take good clear individual pics, add a description, put a price on them and list them on the for sale side of this forum. Dennis
Old 12-07-2016, 02:34 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Not just for sale. When a repro part fails having the oem piece to check dimensions/function is irreplaceable. Old crusty wiring harnesses, pealing chrome or rusty/pitted trim pieces are invaluable when a new part has been improved
Old 12-07-2016, 03:23 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I forget for what year, but there were people selling, buying, and paying decent money for used original air filters and used oil filters. The air filters were the open ones and the wire mesh on originals was different from the replacement ones. The oil filters were AC spin on ones where the printing was different from the replacement ones. That's a bit much for me. But, hey, Suum cuique.

I agree that it's unlikely that pitted chrome pot metal parts and wear items like seat covers, carpet, or convertible tops will ever be worth anything. But people are forever cannibalizing these old parts for pieces - old wiring harnesses for the sockets and other parts, carpet for a scrap, etc.
65VetteVert (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Case in point, I wouldn't mind finding a dinged up original oil canister so I can pilfer the internal parts from it. Mine has cobbled together guts using an old freeze plug as the 'keeper' holding the filter upward on the main bolt...
Old 12-07-2016, 06:06 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Case in point, I wouldn't mind finding a dinged up original oil canister so I can pilfer the internal parts from it. Mine has cobbled together guts using an old freeze plug as the 'keeper' holding the filter upward on the main bolt...
Yea, but I have a half a dozen complete canisters that no one wants to pay the shipping costs let alone $15 or $20 for the part. It's hardly worth the time to take them to the USPS and hear them whine about it is too heavy.
Shipping is more than the sales price and I won't pay it on most little things unless it is something I really really need.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:13 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by R66
Yea, but I have a half a dozen complete canisters that no one wants to pay the shipping costs let alone $15 or $20 for the part. It's hardly worth the time to take them to the USPS and hear them whine about it is too heavy.
Shipping is more than the sales price and I won't pay it on most little things unless it is something I really really need.
Who still drives to USPS? They do pickups now. Schedule a pickup and off they go. Flat rate is easy. If it fits it ships.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:20 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by R66
Well if I don't find one at Lakeland NCRS in a few weeks I may be contacting you. And I go to the USPS all the time in my car. I have to pass our Post Office to go nearly anywhere in my small town
Old 12-09-2016, 06:25 AM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

My 63 is on the rough side as I use it as a daily driver and tow vehicle so I do buy used parts for it. My taillights were really pitted and I found a guy on Craigslist selling a box of about a dozen taillights. Some were pretty nice so I used them. I have bought used interior trim pieces and engine compartment stuff as well. Keeping my eye out for used exterior emblems now as a previous owner had them all removed and holes filled.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:47 AM
ack fia
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Old Parts

After the last NCRS event I realized that my tail pipes were rusted through, so I decided to buy a complete system from CC. Took the old system off and tossed it to the dump. Little did I know that the replacement round mufflers are not even close to the originals (which were in good shape) and sound like crap. An NOS pair of original C1 round mufflers are $1000.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:48 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

I have done several projects and I have a 35' trailer that has a space for all the parts that I have replaced. In time, I have thrown out some badly rotted parts, but have saved some to show the original condition of the car.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:04 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

It's not about selling them. It's about the references. I have all of the original parts in my loft.

The others I try to sell.

Richard Newton
Preservation, Conservation and Restoration
Old 12-09-2016, 10:52 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rfn026
It's not about selling them. It's about the references. I have all of the original parts in my loft.

The others I try to sell.

Richard Newton
Preservation, Conservation and Restoration

Whats there to reference?

I would rather sell the part at a fair market value to someone who can use the parts to finish a corvette. Get the parts to people who can use them so that these cars can be driven. Just do not throw them away.

Leaving them on the shelf means to me that I might plan on restoring another corvette someday (probably not likely). Yeah, occasionally I might need to replace a part. To me the fun part of restoration is the hunt for parts.

I think conservatives look at the parts and cars like they are trophies.

I am biased or slighted since I was the person searching parts for during a 10 year span.

Quick story, around 2002 I responded to an ad where this person wanted to sell entire lot of 58-62 parts for 12k. At the time, I thought well if it would work why not since I could use a lot of the parts to complete my car. I spent the day driving out there and compared what he had to my list of needed parts. Sure enough there was enough there to really jump start my project. The person who had all of the parts was restoring a 57 corvette. The bodywork was almost completed. I told him I would come back with the money to make it this deal happen. Well, a day later I was told "not for sale". There was no dealing nothing I agreed to pay for all of it at his asking price. No was no... So leave the parts on a shelf. I talked to him about 5 years ago he was still doing the same thing. Not selling any parts. Now, it looks like he wants to sell right when I do not really need any parts. Good luck to next guy!

(I think it was this guy Alamo area) good luck:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/5911567251.html

Its nice to use OEM or NOS parts when I can though sometimes repo does the trick.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 12-09-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

You have to understand - there are a weird cadre of people out there that 'get off' on knowing somebody wants their car, their old part or whatever. They never intend to sell and the chief enjoyment in life is getting one more person to oooh and aaah over their possession(s) and then turn them down cold when a legitimate offer is forthcoming.

This strange self-gratification is a stronger incentive to this crowd than money. Which I wouldn't care about but they waste a lot of buyers' time and money.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:41 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You have to understand - there are a weird cadre of people out there that 'get off' on knowing somebody wants their car, their old part or whatever. They never intend to sell and the chief enjoyment in life is getting one more person to oooh and aaah over their possession(s) and then turn them down cold when a legitimate offer is forthcoming.

This strange self-gratification is a stronger incentive to this crowd than money. Which I wouldn't care about but they waste a lot of buyers' time and money.

Yeah, that visit was really strange. He got all of the solid axle parts by buying out a corvette restoration shop in the bay area. Years ago, one brother who owned the restoration shop was killed by his wife while at work. I guess he was cheating on her. The other brother could not keep the business running afterwards.

I know another person who has quite a few original mid year parts. For many years his business was restoring mid years. He still has quite a parts left in his shop even though he is retired. He has one more restoration project (his own mid year). I am sure he will sell his parts once he is completed with his own corvette. He is not the type of guy to show off his stash of parts. He will sell the parts but for top $ since he knows what the parts are worth and how long it took him to accumulate his inventory.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 12-09-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Saving old parts?

Old 12-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

That's too bad. My life has been threatened a couple of times for stockpiling too many old, greasy, original parts
Old 12-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

The Corvette is just a fun car for me, but I do restorations on other vehicles. I used to keep parts "just in case," but not anymore. It just turned out that I actually used very little of it. It just took up space. I toss or sell any extra stuff now. And if I can't net at least $25 on a part it usually isn't worth my time to even try to sell it.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:48 PM
65VetteVert
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for all the advise guys!

A friend has finished restoring his BB '66 convertible. He wants me to go half on a space this summer at the swap meet at the Indy Bloomington Gold show, to sell off his spares, and mine too.

I will offer up my spare parts here on the forum, and take what's left to the swap meet. I have no need to save them when I finish my car.

Heck, I've still got stored all the stock parts I took off my pre war Hot Rods, like I'll ever pull the V-8's to put 6's back in...

Quick Reply: [C2] Saving old parts?