Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Is this normal lifter sound coming from the LS7 or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 05:39 PM
milosav2
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Is this normal lifter sound coming from the LS7 or something else?

Hi all. I am new to the LS7 and was wondering if the clicking sound you hear in my video below is just normal idle sound of the lifters or something totally different?

Sorry for the dark video, but at least the sound translated over well enough to hear.

Thanks much for any input.

VIDEO:

Old 12-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

The majority of what you are hearing is the fuel injectors cycling. The light tapping is typical, within the normal range of an LSx motor.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 12-07-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:18 PM
milosav2
Instructor

Thank you for clearing that up for me. So would you say the actual "clicking" sound comes from the plunger in this gif:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped.../Injector3.gif

?

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
The majority of what you are hearing is the fuel injectors cycling. The light tapping is typical, within the normal range of an LSx motor.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by milosav2
Thank you for clearing that up for me. So would you say the actual "clicking" sound comes from the plunger in this gif:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped.../Injector3.gif

?
The light metallic, less-frequent "tapping" is most likely a lifter. The more frequent, lower-pitched clicks or "sewing machine sounds" are the fuel injectors, with a small amount of valve seat closing tossed in for good measure. The injectors are surprisingly noisy.

Yes, I would assume it's the snapping shut of the plunger that makes the most noise.

Get a mechanics stethoscope and poke around - you can learn a lot about which components are loud or soft, the different types of noises, use that information for later diagnosis if something changes.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 12-07-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:29 PM
milosav2
Instructor

I've always been wanting to add one just because it might come in handy one day for diagnosis. Found this one on amazon with good reviews https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-M...cs+stethoscope

Anyways, thanks for all the help and insight.

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
The light metallic, less-frequent "tapping" is most likely a lifter. The more frequent, lower-pitched clicks or "sewing machine sounds" are the fuel injectors, with a small amount of valve seat closing tossed in for good measure. The injectors are surprisingly noisy.

Yes, I would assume it's the snapping shut of the plunger that makes the most noise.

Get a mechanics stethoscope and poke around - you can learn a lot about which components are loud or soft, the different types of noises, use that information for later diagnosis if something changes.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:16 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I've always been wanting to add one just because it might come in handy one day for diagnosis. Found this one on amazon with good reviews https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-M...cs+stethoscope

Anyways, thanks for all the help and insight.
Sounds normal and good to me.

DH
Old 12-09-2016, 02:42 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

I see you are new around here. Have you gotten your heads fixed yet?
Old 12-09-2016, 08:30 AM
milosav2
Instructor

I haven't, but maybe one of the previous two owners has. Either way, I'll be getting the heads checked to see if they have been upgraded this winter.

Trust me, I knew about the dropped valve issue way before I bought the c6z, and it will be addressed along with a nice cam upgrade .

Originally Posted by User Omega
I see you are new around here. Have you gotten your heads fixed yet?
Old 12-09-2016, 09:20 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

I haven't, but maybe one of the previous two owners has. Either way, I'll be getting the heads checked to see if they have been upgraded this winter...Trust me, I knew about the dropped valve issue way before I bought the c6z, and it will be addressed along with a nice cam upgrade.
Good to hear, must protect your investment, and the sooner the better.

If mine weren't covered by a GMEPP my '08 would be parked until heads were thoroughly inspected and/or refurbished. Period.
Love my LS7 like no other, but also believe there's a potential flaw/weakness capable of really spoiling a day. Not all. Some.
Absent warranty coverage, now's the time to be proactive concerning this matter.

Welcome aboard.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:42 AM
milosav2
Instructor

Looks like you're a fellow Wisconsinite! Any shops in the SE WI area you'd recommend to perform this job?

There are quite a few recommended shops in the Chicago-land area that I've been looking at and the one that pops out at me the most is Speed Inc.

I'm not looking at spending the extra ~ $1,300 for a totally new head swap from AHP, just valves/valve guides and associated parts. The extra ~ 10-20 whp/wtq is not nearly a big enough gain to justify considering everything else on the oem heads is perfectly fine.

Originally Posted by Landru
Good to hear, must protect your investment, and the sooner the better.

If mine weren't covered by a GMEPP my '08 would be parked until heads were thoroughly inspected and/or refurbished. Period.
Love my LS7 like no other, but also believe there's a potential flaw/weakness capable of really spoiling a day. Not all. Some.
Absent warranty coverage, now's the time to be proactive concerning this matter.

Welcome aboard.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Landru
Race Director

Looks like you're a fellow Wisconsinite! Any shops in the SE WI area you'd recommend to perform this job?
Living ~60 mi N of Milwaukee, 35 mi E of lake...3 mile off 41.
Where you located?
Reason I ask is I just went through this issue w/ my '08 w/ 52K last Summer.
2nd & last GMPP was expiring, had to either have heads rebuilt or find suitable extended coverage. One or the other.

Only place out here in the sticks is West Bend Dyno: http://www.westbenddyno.com/
They claim expertise w/ LS series engines.
Maybe, maybe not...they've sure a nice shop way outside WB off H in the country.

Turns out GM got into the extended service contract business for GM cars/trucks. IIRC any GM vehicle w/ <120K and/or <10 y/o qualifies.
I guessed about $3K for head job, more using AHP/WCC etc.
GMEPP coverage OTOH cost <$3K,good up to 80K 'til '19.

Since I'm stock and intend staying so a GMEPP made financial sense, for me. Next time though, it's a rebuild and WBD is the closest, they'll probably get the job. No real choice, here.

In Milwaukee there have to be several solid shops to choose from, and w/o going to Chicago. Just guessing, though.

There are quite a few recommended shops in the Chicago-land area that I've been looking at and the one that pops out at me the most is Speed Inc.
IF going to any Chitown shop, perform your due diligence.
FWIW...last week or so a member living in Chicago area posted a horrendous experience w/ an allegedly well known/respected shop.
His gripe was he ordered specific parts be used on his build, paid for it and now there's [ample] evidence shop used junk.
Not saying it was SI, just the shop in question's a well known builder in Chicago. Betting guy's post was deleted, unfortunately.

I'm not looking at spending the extra ~ $1,300 for a totally new head swap from AHP, just valves/valve guides and associated parts. The extra ~ 10-20 whp/wtq is not nearly a big enough gain to justify considering everything else on the oem heads is perfectly fine.
$1,300 for any heads sound pretty cheap, must be doing labor yourself.
Whatever you do w/ heads, just make sure it's done right first time. This is not the place to be penny-wise and dollar foolish.

Many members have done H/C/I upgrades to their LS7s since shortly after '06 when they came out.
I'm perfectly happy w/ my LS7's performance as-is, hate the idea of MPG taking a hit anyway.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:36 AM
milosav2
Instructor

Would you mind sending me a personal message of the shop name? By the way, I am in Milwaukee.

Originally Posted by Landru
last week or so a member living in Chicago area posted a horrendous experience w/ an allegedly well known/respected shop.
His gripe was he ordered specific parts be used on his build, paid for it and now there's [ample] evidence shop used junk.
Not saying it was SI, just the shop in question's a well known builder in Chicago.

Last edited by milosav2; 12-09-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:50 AM
Landru
Race Director

Would you mind sending me a personal message of the shop name? By the way, I am in Milwaukee.
Sorry, can't...I believe the post was deleted.
There was MUCH speculation based on the invoice OP posted, several members claimed they'd recognized the form. Would not want to slime any outfit based on speculation, but, the name you cited *sounds* familiar.

Milwaukee?
I recall several shops when I was researching, they're there.
I just didn't want to take my car all the way into the city.
Now CF has regional forums, try posting your questions there, might get lucky & catch a couple referrals. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/great-lakes-43/
G/L, post whatever place you land on.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:07 PM
KM177122
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

LSx motors make a lot of noise. Sounds normal.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this normal lifter sound coming from the LS7 or something else?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Is this normal lifter sound coming from the LS7 or something else?