C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hoses going to Throttle body on an '86...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 11:45 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Hoses going to Throttle body on an '86...

I'm doing some routine maintenance on an '86, and would like to replace all the hoses going to the throttle boy. The car is mostly stock, and being kept that way. I order my parts online, so won't be just bringing them into a parts shop. Was wondering if anyone might have the parts numbers and or names for these hoses so I can find replacements. Thank you.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:58 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Not sure on that year but would look into a throttle body bypass.
The following users liked this post:
racerseks (12-09-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 06:08 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

RockAuto has a hose kit that includes all the underhood hoses for the 86. You can get that U shaped hose that comes out of the front of the TPI at Autozone (87653). I'm sure they will likely have the other ones too.
racerseks (12-09-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 06:53 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

basically, there are two coolant hoses on the throttle body. one hose comes off the heater core plumbing, and can be replaced with standard heater hose from any local parts supplier. my suggestion, add an in-line (prestone) flushing tee to aid in future maintenance. there is also a "U" shaped hose from the front of the intake manifold to the throttle body. the original GM part has been discontinued, but available as a replacement item. most are not "plug and play," and one leg will have to be trimmed to fit. the last one I bought was a Gates 18777 Molded Heater Hose - available just about anywhere for $5-6.

as for the by-pass, i'd say no if you want to keep it stock. i'm thinking studies have found that it does little to increase performance anyway. the other hose is part of the PCV system and can be replaced with any off the shelf PVC hose for emissions systems. i'm thinking the original OEM part number is ( GM) #9438382. on my 85, I replaced it with a piece of 1/2" pcv hose from NAPA -

Last edited by Joe C; 12-08-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:11 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Thanks...Yea, I know that's one of them. Didn't know about those other two. Hoping someone might have the part numbers or names of them. Might you know? Thank you!
Old 12-09-2016, 02:15 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Oh, I think that one went over my head for a sec...but I gotcha. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2016, 06:50 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe C
basically, there are two coolant hoses on the throttle body. one hose comes off the heater core plumbing, and can be replaced with standard heater hose from any local parts supplier. my suggestion, add an in-line (prestone) flushing tee to aid in future maintenance. there is also a "U" shaped hose from the front of the intake manifold to the throttle body. the original GM part has been discontinued, but available as a replacement item. most are not "plug and play," and one leg will have to be trimmed to fit. the last one I bought was a Gates 18777 Molded Heater Hose - available just about anywhere for $5-6.

as for the by-pass, i'd say no if you want to keep it stock. i'm thinking studies have found that it does little to increase performance anyway. the other hose is part of the PCV system and can be replaced with any off the shelf PVC hose for emissions systems. i'm thinking the original OEM part number is ( GM) #9438382. on my 85, I replaced it with a piece of 1/2" pcv hose from NAPA -

Great info! Thanks so much! I bought one of those flushing tees years ago...thanks for reminding me! Great time to put it in, as I'm doing some cooling system maintenance too. What's the best location for that tee? Thanks again!
Old 12-09-2016, 06:51 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hcbph
RockAuto has a hose kit that includes all the underhood hoses for the 86. You can get that U shaped hose that comes out of the front of the TPI at Autozone (87653). I'm sure they will likely have the other ones too.
Thanks...I did look at that kit, but already have most the other hoses in it. Are they blue? Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by racerseks
Great info! Thanks so much! I bought one of those flushing tees years ago...thanks for reminding me! Great time to put it in, as I'm doing some cooling system maintenance too. What's the best location for that tee? Thanks again!
don't know if there's a "best" location, but on my L98 C4's, I usually install it in the coolant line just behind the AC compressor. I also use black OE hose clamps - make it a little less conspicuous -

Last edited by Joe C; 12-09-2016 at 08:24 PM.
racerseks (12-10-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 08:30 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

don't know if there's a "best" location, but on my L98 C4's, I usually install it in the coolant line just behind the AC compressor. I also use black OE hose clamps - make it a little less conspicuous -

Thanks for the info and pic! That's a nice clean look. I figured you mentioned it because that's one of the hoses going to the throttle body that I plan to replace, right?

Thanks again!
Old 12-09-2016, 11:00 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Thanks...I did look at that kit, but already have most the other hoses in it. Are they blue? Thanks for your thoughts.
I know there's a red kit and a blue one. I think I've seen a black set too. I know blue doesn't match but if you're needing a hose, blue is better than nothing though I wouldn't mind finding a red set some day.
racerseks (12-10-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 11:59 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hcbph
I know there's a red kit and a blue one. I think I've seen a black set too. I know blue doesn't match but if you're needing a hose, blue is better than nothing though I wouldn't mind finding a red set some day.
Yea, those might be kind of cool for the right application. Doubt they come in rusty red metallic, ha-ha. Thanks again!
Old 12-10-2016, 12:41 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

By the way...looks great! Looks like a pic from out of an '85'early '86 brochure!
Old 12-10-2016, 02:01 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Thanks for the info and pic! That's a nice clean look. I figured you mentioned it because that's one of the hoses going to the throttle body that I plan to replace, right?

Thanks again!
correct - that's one of the coolant hoses from the throttle body that you'll be replacing. standard heater does the job..

Last edited by Joe C; 12-10-2016 at 02:11 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:06 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

correct - that one of the coolant hoses from the throttle body that you'll be replacing. standard heater does the job..
Cool. Been wanting to put that in for a while now. Makes the job easier on my other ride. Just never could decide where, but that looks good where you have it. Thanks for mentioning it!

Get notified of new replies

To Hoses going to Throttle body on an '86...

Quick Reply: Hoses going to Throttle body on an '86...