C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you guys notice any delay in A8, in particular sport / track mode? I don't.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 01:08 AM
mungodrums
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do you guys notice any delay in A8, in particular sport / track mode? I don't.

I have noticed that among various professional reviews. Most say that the A8 is as fast and reactive as the PDK, DCTs. Some say there is a delay along with some individuals. Also some individuals like me notice that without paddle shifters shifts are lightening quick, seamless, wow. Even with using paddle shifters in particular in sport / track, I notice no delay. Super fast and instantaeous. Why the variation among people? Ger.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:03 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mungodrums
I have noticed that among various professional reviews. Most say that the A8 is as fast and reactive as the PDK, DCTs. Some say there is a delay along with some individuals. Also some individuals like me notice that without paddle shifters shifts are lightening quick, seamless, wow. Even with using paddle shifters in particular in sport / track, I notice no delay. Super fast and instantaeous. Why the variation among people? Ger.
I have a 2017 GS A8, 2 weeks ago I ran in our clubs Track day, for the hot sessions I was in track mode PTM Sport 1, our track is 1.7 mi 11 turns (MSR Cresson), I let the A8 run in complete auto mode, the transmission performed flawlessly shifting between 2,3,4 and touching 5th once in a while also it anticipates when down shifting is needed. Shifts were crisp and fast and for those interested the 17 has new plumbing for the trans cooler and it never got above 186. In one of the lead and follow sessions I did use the paddles and in the higher rpm bands the shifts are equally as fast.

Now on the street in normal driving shifts are smooth and virtually unnoticeable. I have not had a problem with the A8 and my prior 15 Vette was also a A8

Last edited by BRCC; 12-08-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:13 PM
Chazzmania
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

So I purchased a 16' Z51, I have never drove the car in automatic mode only in paddle shifters. The few times my wife drove in automatic mode the shifts were smooth with no issues. I usually drive in track mode all the time "THE ONLY MODE". I only see issues when you are babying the car in manual mode. If you are driving normal applying gas like you should in a sports car the shifts are on point. I thought I would hate the auto with paddle shifters, but being in Hawaii and the traffic I enjoy it a lot. I still love my manuals so I drive my 96 Honda accord to bang out some gears lol.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:50 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

No problem with my 17 GS. Shifts fasts. I don't notice delay in auto or manual. Maybe its because slow and fast are relative to what each individual expects to happen when they push a button. Or maybe some A8s have a problem and others don't.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:19 AM
Liter of cola
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

im pretty sure its people who have experienced DCT's who are able to notice that the A8 is slow when responding to manual shifts.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:32 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

And it's not about upshifts, it's the downshift that every person that can actually drive complains about.

You pull the trigger for a downshift you want RIGHT NOW, and it thinks about it for a while and then shifts.

And no, I'm not talking about a shift that would cause an overrev. It's just that downshifts take noticeably longer.. Unlike a DCT or a or real manual. (and yes a DCT is a manual, oh never mind...lol)

That's why I didn't get the A8... If they could have figured out a real DCT, I'd have been all over it.
The following users liked this post:
4GS7 (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Liter of cola
Racer

Originally Posted by rrsperry
And it's not about upshifts, it's the downshift that every person that can actually drive complains about.

You pull the trigger for a downshift you want RIGHT NOW, and it thinks about it for a while and then shifts.

And no, I'm not talking about a shift that would cause an overrev. It's just that downshifts take noticeably longer.. Unlike a DCT or a or real manual. (and yes a DCT is a manual, oh never mind...lol)

That's why I didn't get the A8... If they could have figured out a real DCT, I'd have been all over it.
I wouldnt completely turn my back on the automatic trans just yet... at least not until we get our hands on this 10 speed, see what its all about.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:42 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

It's "slow" in paddle shift mode but in drive - track mode it does upshift as fast as any trans out there.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:18 AM
Liter of cola
Racer

Originally Posted by thegame
It's "slow" in paddle shift mode but in drive - track mode it does upshift as fast as any trans out there.
thats the problem... we wanna shift our own gears.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:25 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Liter of cola
thats the problem... we wanna shift our own gears.
You can, but don't expect it to be as good as cars dct that cost twice as much. Then people would complain a base vette costs too much. I'd say if you use the paddles to shift your own gears it still shifts faster than most people can shift manually.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:33 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 868 Likes on 398 Posts

My experience with my '16 A8 base coupe: When accelerating in Sport or Track using both DRIVE and MANUAL modes there is a 200 RPM delay between when I click the paddle and when the shift occurs if shifting with the paddles below 4,000 RPM.

Lag time begins to get reduced and it is quicker shifting at 3,500 RPM. Any perceptible delay is completely gone at 4K+ RPM.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:13 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry

I will have to think more about your downshift issue and do some testing. I have plenty of track time with my M6 ZL1, but haven't put the GS on the track yet. On the street the downshifts haven't bothered me. The thing is, I usually plan my shifts ahead of time whether in the M6 or A8. It is the same as using brake markers on the track. Anyone who has spent time on the track knows you find markers whether they are specifically setup or just a spot on the asphalt. You use the markers to downshift and brake. So I don't get the issue, but I will do some testing. Maybe over time I will decide the A8 is no good, but so far its been fine.

Last edited by djnice; 12-09-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:03 PM
RichmondC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive my 2015 Z51 A8 mostly on the track (HPDE). I always use the paddle shifters. I want total control of when up and down shifts happen. In MHO in a track environment any miliseconds of time in the speed of up and down shifting is unimportant. I have ridden with top drivers in cars such as a P GT3 and F 488. They rely on their cars DCT transmissions, but sometimes override them.

It has been my experience that when working my way through traffic on the track paddle shifting gives me the control I need. On practice days I have let the transmission shift - Track Mode - and find the times are marginally slower. Your experience may vary...
Old 12-09-2016, 06:17 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I didn't get the complaints about shift delay from the paddles at all. Now all my Vettes have been manuals and my current C4 is a ZF6. So I went from manuals to the A8. I love it and never have noticed a delay.

Given all the whining about paddle shifting delay yesterday I actually concentrated on when I pulled the paddle and noted when the shift occurred. This was 40 miles of street driving on boulevards with 55 mph speed limits and lights every mile or so. I did, with that level of exteme concentration, notice (in T mode) about a second delay between when the paddle commanded a shift and when it shifted. Why had I never noticed this before?? Easy, it is the way I learned the A8 and simply took that delay and made a subconscious decision to command my shifts a second early. So to me there "was no" delay. But I had easily mentally adapted my driving style to meet the A8s capabilities. After noting that there is in fact a delay I can see how someone with many many miles of DCT experience (if they in fact have no delay and I don't know that for a fact) could be disappointed that the A8 has a short delay.

To that kind of person, I would say, "adapt your driving style to adjust for the capabilities of the car you own." Or I would say, "trade your car in for an Audi, or whatever, and get something you are happy with." The final thing I would say is, "Quit whining about the paddle shift delay, it is annoying to those of us that know how to drive the car."

In any case enjoy your C7 it is a great car and if you don't think so, well there are other cars out there you might like. Go get one.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you guys notice any delay in A8, in particular sport / track mode? I don't.

Quick Reply: Do you guys notice any delay in A8, in particular sport / track mode? I don't.