C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's it worth? Turbo C6

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:57 PM
westtexasbuff
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default What's it worth? Turbo C6

I don't need to sell it, nor do I want to. Just want to gauge what you all think my car would be worth in the event I change my mind later. I've been eyeing C7Zs for a while and it'd be nice to have a down payment for one instead of sinking more money into this car. I know if I keep it I'll want to build a motor for it and go with a bigger turbo and that's more $$$$ I don't need to spend lol.

The car was bone stock when I bought it. The entire turbo kit is a custom kit I fabbed myself, did all the rest of the work on it myself as well.

The car is a 06 Z51 with a Z06 widebody conversion. 148,xxx miles on the car, clear title.

The car made 870whp on 15psi when I dyno tuned it at JMS in San Antonio, TX. Could have made over 900, but decided to keep it safe.

Engine:
LS9 head gaskets
stock 243 heads
stock LS2 intake
btr stage 3 turbo cam
head studs
btr dual springs
melling oil pump
stock bottom end

Turbo kit:
CXracing turbo headers
Custom t4 merge pipe
Billet S475 Borg Warner T4 1.0 AR
Twin tial 38mm wastegates
Tial 50mm bov
Custom 3" thick double pass griffin radiator with dual fans
cxracing 5" thick core intercooler
4" cold side piping to intake, 3" from turbo
4 inch downpipe out the front passenger side bumper

Fuel:
e85
holley fuel regulator
billet black fuel rails
FIC 1200cc injectors
-10 an feed/return
20 gallon fuel cell
2 Boosted Solutions 340 LPH inline fuel pumps

Drivetrain/Suspension:
Stock trans/rear
MGW shifter
Spec billet twin disk clutch (holds 1400 tq)
all new stock hydraulics
Koni shocks all around
lowering bolts
Poly motor mounts
Billet poly trans mounts

Misc:
full widebody conversion
carbon rear spoiler
3 gauge pod (A/F ratio, fuel pressure, aem boost controller)

Wheels/Tires
Spindle conversion
15 inch weld RTS S77b in rear
325/50/15 MT ET Pros in rear
F1R F21 18x9.5 wheels in front
new 275/35/18 tires in front

Attachment 48360389

Attachment 48360390

Attachment 48360391

Attachment 48360392

Old 12-09-2016, 06:36 AM
paulrichy
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That, appears to be a very nice car with many mods well done and a ton of miles. My guess is they probly were put on by the first owner. It would be a very special person that would get you even a little of your mod money back and most people would not even consider it. Take the most expensive mods off, get it as close to "stock" and pray for $15000.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:44 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

If there was a bone stock Corvette same year and miles sitting next to yours for sale, 99.9% of the buyers would select and pay more for the stock Corvette over yours. Although it appears to be a great looking car, it will take a very special person to buy it and then the price is anyone's guess. One never knows just what they are buying when you get into a performance modded Corvette. Most people will offer you less the the current book value because of the mods. If you happen to find one that is looking for a highly modified performance car then you may get some of the mod money back.
I would say between $12k-$15k unless you happen on the right buyer.
Also when you say you did all the work yourself, even though it looks like a very nice installation, what is your background? If you could hand the buyer a lot of paper work from a know Corvette specialty shop that might carry a lot more weight then a do it yourself project..
Old 12-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
If there was a bone stock Corvette same year and miles sitting next to yours for sale, 99.9% of the buyers would select and pay more for the stock Corvette over yours. Although it appears to be a great looking car, it will take a very special person to buy it and then the price is anyone's guess. One never knows just what they are buying when you get into a performance modded Corvette. Most people will offer you less the the current book value because of the mods. If you happen to find one that is looking for a highly modified performance car then you may get some of the mod money back.
I would say between $12k-$15k unless you happen on the right buyer.
Also when you say you did all the work yourself, even though it looks like a very nice installation, what is your background? If you could hand the buyer a lot of paper work from a know Corvette specialty shop that might carry a lot more weight then a do it yourself project..
100% Most people will shy away from a heavily modified car, especially if wasn't done by a professional, well known/reputable shop and well documented. Even when done by a shop like that, you would have to hold and hope you find the right buyer (or they find you). You could try asking for a little more then stock Vettes of the same year and relative mileage, but my bet would be you will probable have to settle for less if you want to sell it any time soon. Best of luck and I hope you find someone who appreciates all the work you've done and is willing to pay a premium price
Old 12-09-2016, 10:22 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

The rule of thumb that i always had was that a modified car was worth 50% of the cost of parts above the base and nothing for labor. That being said, the market for a modified car is VERY small, so you are advertising to a very small market of people that want something like that.

based on that, you probably have $15 ~ 20k worth of parts, but a stock 06 Z51 with high mileage is probably only worth around $12k. So as it stands, you would probably find people talking to you if you asked $21 ~ $22k and hoped to get $18 ~ $19k.

that is just a guess, and you have to remember that you have to be VERY patient while you wait for the right buyer, if you wanted to dump it fast, you are probably going to struggle to find somebody that wants to give you over $15k for it because of the risk of repair costs.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:31 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

You fabbed all that yourself? That's downright impressive. I'll never ever wonder how I'm going to get a broken bolt out anything...ever again.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:18 PM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

Awesome car, but a ten year car plus the high miles is all people are going to see. Unless you find the right buyer, and by that I mean anything around the $20k mark, you would be better off parting the car off.
I'm in the same boat as you. Enjoy a car that can beat the pants off most anything out there, custom fab work looks impressive, car looks decent, just enjoy it. After all, it's customized to your liking.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:17 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

The mileage is a killer for an average Corvette buyer. But I think this isnt your average Corvette. I think this car can bring 23-25k on ebay.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:37 PM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

15-18 k
Old 12-10-2016, 12:09 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Great build OP, infact downright impressive.

As for value?
JMHO but the most money will be got from those looking for a dedicated weekend drag racer. Perhaps someone whose seen the car run, or those affiliated w/ your tuner who're familiar w/ the car now?

As stated before finding a buyer for this w/o taking a murderous bath will be challenging. While not impossible, certainly time consuming.

Agree w/ above suggestion to just keep the car. You built it and as such it's a known quantity. It'd wax '7 Z anyway, is unique & quite beautiful w/ a somewhat rare color & as one last plus -- it's paid for.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:11 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

OP

Strikes me as a great car you put a lot of thought and money into. Like any car you mod, barring finding the buyer who thinks JUST like you AND wishes to NOT do it himself (rare rarer) your car is worth less than bone stock. Your car may be trouble free but so many bolt togethers (as opposed to cars modded by known modders such as Callaway) are sewers of problems folks tend to shy away.

My suggestion is go to CarMax. Get a bid. Interpret that bid as to what CarMax would retail it for and then discount 20% from that amount. CarMax warrants the cars - you dont.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:30 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
OP

Strikes me as a great car you put a lot of thought and money into. Like any car you mod, barring finding the buyer who thinks JUST like you AND wishes to NOT do it himself (rare rarer) your car is worth less than bone stock. Your car may be trouble free but so many bolt togethers (as opposed to cars modded by known modders such as Callaway) are sewers of problems folks tend to shy away.

My suggestion is go to CarMax. Get a bid. Interpret that bid as to what CarMax would retail it for and then discount 20% from that amount. CarMax warrants the cars - you dont.
Does CarMax take heavily modified cars that are somewhat purpose built? I ask because I feel liike this advice applies quite well to factory cars but assumes CarMax knows how to effectively market 900HP drag cars (and if they do, I think I want to find out which carmax I want to go test drive stuff at)
Old 12-10-2016, 07:30 PM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

I tried Carmax just as a sanity check. They offered me 7K less than a dealer had offered me and the dealer had not seen the car. I will NEVER set foot on a Carmax lot again. I'll take the bus if there's ever a day it comes to that. Btw, the dealer came up to my asking price once they looked over my car. I know this doesn't answer you question but forget Carmax.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:38 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

High mileage Corvettes usually don't bring a lot of money and you will need to find the right buyer to sell your car. I read a post earlier today on this forum and a guy had a GTO and wanted to buy a C-6 and modify the car himself. I told him it would be a lot less money finding one already built. Your car might be what he is looking for. Sometimes when I sell something I get more money than I thought I would and sometimes I get less. The best way is put it up for sale and see if you get some bites. Just looking at the horsepower your car puts out makes me think of high repair bills and lots of trips to the repair shop. I do normal maintenance and thats about it. If I can get 100,000 trouble free miles out of a vehicle without any headaches I am happy. Most other Corvette owners have the same expectations. Good luck if you decide to sell I hope for the best for you.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:50 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Forget Carmax, they buy stock cars.
Remember all those extra's was for your enjoyment and you need have buyer that would pay for what you done.
Good luck on selling.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:53 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

If someone offers you $15K, take the money and run. A quick appraisal at Edmunds comes up $9K max.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:03 PM
westtexasbuff
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Should have never asked here considering the audience.... I sold a twin turbo C5Z last year that I built that wasn't even fully running for $25k with 180k miles. I know I can get more than $15k..... This is a complete turn key almost 900hp car. lol.

Get notified of new replies

To What's it worth? Turbo C6

Old 12-13-2016, 08:39 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

At least now you know you have a car with a very limited market.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:46 AM
EVILFACE
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

List it for $22 and let the chips fall where they may.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:49 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
Should have never asked here considering the audience.... I sold a twin turbo C5Z last year that I built that wasn't even fully running for $25k with 180k miles. I know I can get more than $15k..... This is a complete turn key almost 900hp car. lol.
You're ignoring the part where many indicated "unless you find the right buyer." Highly modified cars have a limited pool of buyers, and a highly modified car that has no documentation from a known high performance shop has an even smaller pool. Price it however you like, but be prepared to wait for that "right buyer."

Quick Reply: What's it worth? Turbo C6