C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan controller

Old 12-09-2016, 04:53 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Default Cooling fan controller

What kind of adjustable fan controller did you use, and where did you mount it?
De Witts recommended the Lingenfelter unit, but I'm on the fence. I have to run a 195* stat per Kalifornia.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I would go with what DeWitts recommended.

I have installed DeWitts radiator where they installed a bung for the temp sensor and used the twin SPAL fans and had no problems with that.

Maybe others will chime in with their thoughts. This subject has been discussed and some informaiton may be in one of the 'sticky' threads at the top of the page dealing with cooling system ideas.

Possibly PM 'Richad454' and get him to comment.

DUB
Old 12-10-2016, 07:49 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Most of the new cheap EFI conversion have fan control built in if you want a lame excuse to convert

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fif-30003
Old 12-10-2016, 09:59 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

I used the SPAL unit for a while, a large number of members that used it had issues with it staying programmed but mine worked fine for years then started doing the same thing so I removed it. When I had the SPAL controller installed I had it mounted atop the AC box on the passengers side under the hood.

I now use the switch that Dewitt's installed in the radiator prior to shipping it to me, no issues yet.

Neal
Old 12-10-2016, 06:38 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Ive read some really good reviews about this unit:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd852.htm

Has anyone here installed one yet?
Old 12-13-2016, 10:34 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird

In have this unit installed in my '76 C3 operating 2 fans set to come on at different temperatures. The controller itself needs to be mounted inside the car. I have mine hanging on a small hook on the right side of the foot well so it is easy to get ahold of. Could easily be tucked behind the console if you want it hidden. Unit was easy to install and program. Has been working great for over a year now. Allows you to also adjust your gauge for accurate readings. I would highly recommend installing this controller.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:40 PM
Darinm
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm running the Derale PWM controller with dual SPAL fans and DeWitts radiator. It's mounted on the Drivers side fender and had dense foam where the wiring exits to prevent water intrusion. So far i've had no problems with it and love how it will vary the fan speed based on cooling needs. It is very specific on wiring though in that you must pull power direct from the battery and not the back of the alternator due to electrical noise.

http://derale.com/products/electric-...n-probe-detail
Old 12-13-2016, 03:08 PM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 959 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
In have this unit installed in my '76 C3 operating 2 fans set to come on at different temperatures. The controller itself needs to be mounted inside the car. I have mine hanging on a small hook on the right side of the foot well so it is easy to get ahold of. Could easily be tucked behind the console if you want it hidden. Unit was easy to install and program. Has been working great for over a year now. Allows you to also adjust your gauge for accurate readings. I would highly recommend installing this controller.
Thanks for that info.

You say it allows you to just your factory gauge as well, does that mean it uses the factory sender unit not its own ?
Old 12-13-2016, 04:08 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird

If you have dual fans and do use the DD controller then I would use 3-relays wired to give 2-speed control of the fans.

But, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend $110 for this controller which is still just on-off fan control.

You have the $160 Derale PWM controller.

There is the Hayden PWM controller for $75, but it can't source enough current for dual fans. Maybe use 1 for each fan so you get redundancy.

I ran across this site - http://www.autocoolguy.com/
They have a range of controllers rated for different currents. A unique feature is a fan speed dial for AC which means the AC input doesn't run the fans at full speed.

A PWM controller with a temperature probe and an AC pressure probe would be ideal. Then, it could control the fan speed to the optimum based on both inputs. I've never seen one though.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:14 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Most of the new cheap EFI conversion have fan control built in if you want a lame excuse to convert

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fif-30003
That's what I've done! Works great.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
If you have dual fans and do use the DD controller then I would use 3-relays wired to give 2-speed control of the fans.

But, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend $110 for this controller which is still just on-off fan control.

You have the $160 Derale PWM controller.

There is the Hayden PWM controller for $75, but it can't source enough current for dual fans. Maybe use 1 for each fan so you get redundancy.

I ran across this site - http://www.autocoolguy.com/
They have a range of controllers rated for different currents. A unique feature is a fan speed dial for AC which means the AC input doesn't run the fans at full speed.

A PWM controller with a temperature probe and an AC pressure probe would be ideal. Then, it could control the fan speed to the optimum based on both inputs. I've never seen one though.
Your logic is correct. My only thought is it provides adjustment for on-off that could be useful with my 195* stat I MUST use.
It also is rated 70amperes with the a/c function already provided.
The issue I have is that it is not rated for under hood. So, you have to mount it in the cabin. That has advantages and disadvantages.

Painless has a PWM unit that also has a speed setting. You can tie it into a square wave /pulsed signal from an ECM, and set the off speed.
The 81 has a vehicle speed sensor in the speedo that signals the ECM for lock up function. I thought that would be super bingo. However, Painless Tech told me it will not work with a brushless DC fan.

From what I have read, this Spal unit De Witts supplies is brushless. I have yet to call Spal on this.I also read that Spal Tech says NOT to run their fans in series, but I need to confirm this as well.

Spal used to make their own PWM controller, but it seems to have gone away. I cannot source them, so I figure they were trash and died.

I have also read the Derale unit is trash, but am still reading. You never know how these guys have wired/installed them.

I like the idea of an adjustable speed control based on demand, but I also like simplicity. So, I continue to see what is available. I will not be doing this till spring or summer, so I have time to come up with a plan.

I did find a temp switch with a 210* on, 190* off that could solve everything, IF I go electro-mechanical control.

I still would like to hear about other installs. I like knowing the issues others have had.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:12 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Does anyone know if this is the unit De Witts supplies? Tom?

https://webstore.spalusa.com/content...02052_SPEC.pdf

I just wrote Spal tech support, and will post the questions and their response if/when I receive it.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:58 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

OK, you're using brushless fans. I missed that before. Those fans have a controller built-in to operate the motor. You don't need to switch the power, but rather just switch the control signal inputs. You can use on-off control by switching one of the inputs or an analog or PWM signal for full speed control. You can switch power, but it seems rather dumb to be switching the high power wiring on a fan that has a built in controller and doesn't need that wiring switched.

The Lingenfelter VSFM-002 is the right controller to provide a PWM signal to the brushless fan to do speed control of the fan.

The DD controller could be used to simply turn the fans on-off without the supplied relay. But, turning individual fans on-off still isn't a great way to go, especially just running one fan with the AC.

I'm sure some of the other PWM controllers that switch the ground side of the fan could likely be used as a signal input to the fan. The switching device would be hugely overkill and you'd likely have to add a pull-up resistor. The Painless one does negative switching so maybe you could make it work.

On another note, the DD controller appears to use a Bosch sized cube relay. I find it very hard to believe a relay that size will handle 70A reliably.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:10 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

From Spal Tech Support:
The fan system you have is a 30102052 and this is a brushed fan. You can use a PWM fan controller on these fans, though they might be hard to find. The current draw listed is for both fans so figure about 18 to 20 amps each per fan of current draw. Normally you would control them with a 40 to 50 amp relay per fan. If you use a PWM fan controller relays might not be needed. We do not recommend using these fans in a series circuit as we recommend full power to the fans for motors. Let us know if you have any other questions.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:21 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Now that I know what I have for sure, I'm leaning toward this unit.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/30140.pdf

I have never had a failure with any of their stuff in other cars. Anyone here used this piece?
Old 12-14-2016, 01:12 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Why would Dewitt recommend a brushless controller for brushed fans?

Any DC brushed fan can run in series without suffering failure issues. Besides, if you PWM a fan at 50% speed then it's the same as putting two in series.

The Painless controller is pricey but it looks like a good piece.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Why would Dewitt recommend a brushless controller for brushed fans?

Any DC brushed fan can run in series without suffering failure issues. Besides, if you PWM a fan at 50% speed then it's the same as putting two in series.

The Painless controller is pricey but it looks like a good piece.
You ask good questions. The automotive aftermarket is filled with hype, myths, and plain old BS. Seperating the wheat from the chaffe is always challenging.

I ordered the painless unit. Lets see how long it lasts.

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling fan controller

Old 12-14-2016, 01:57 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Get the BRUSHLESS Delta PAG fans, they all come with a controller...

all other types of fans are obsolete.

in every way they are better... a LOT less current draw, less EMI, less noise, more consistent that is to say exactly always the same fan speed and air draw under any speed,,,

brushed fans are a model T
Old 12-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pauldana
Get the BRUSHLESS Delta PAG fans, they all come with a controller...

all other types of fans are obsolete.

in every way they are better... a LOT less current draw, less EMI, less noise, more consistent that is to say exactly always the same fan speed and air draw under any speed,,,

brushed fans are a model T
If I did not already have the fans purchased and installed, I would do that.

BTW, I love my 1923 Model T Touring.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Painless Tech support says to use the unbuffered signal right off the VSS speed sensor. This would be trick if it works. I ASSUME it has an isolated input for the speed control like an optical coupled MOS FET. I need to ask them/verify that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cooling fan controller