C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Burnishing

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 07:35 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Burnishing

I have read through the sticky and a couple other threads, but I still do not have a definitive answer. If I drive mine 99% street usage and once in a great while do a 1/2 mile event, do I need to burnish my carbon ceramic brakes?

I have heard they will disintegrate, etc. if you do not, can someone please give me the facts of what I need to do or not?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-09-2016, 08:21 PM
vet4me45
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
I have read through the sticky and a couple other threads, but I still do not have a definitive answer. If I drive mine 99% street usage and once in a great while do a 1/2 mile event, do I need to burnish my carbon ceramic brakes?

I have heard they will disintegrate, etc. if you do not, can someone please give me the facts of what I need to do or not?

Thanks in advance
Good question, glad you asked it. I can't believe all those Z06 owners with carbon ceramic brakes have gone through that process.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

It will be hard to get a definitive answer, unless someone with CCBs who didn't burnish and had a problem decides to post.

The burnishing procedure burns off adhesives that come on these pads. I am guessing that unless you track the car, or partake in regular, spirited driving requiring hard-braking, that burnishing is likely not a <required> action. You will still be able to stop the car on the street just fine. However, why not just burnish them and be done with it? Then there is no need to worry. The process is fairly straightforward.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:16 PM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06

Thanks in advance
You can get away without a burnish but if you do not burnish, you could experience what feels like brake fade after two really hard high speed stops. Obviously, it's not fade it is gasing between the pad and rotor from not burnishing.

It can be difficult to find a place where you can 5-60-5 50 times in a row without interruption but it is well worth it.

I have never heard of the pads disintegrating from no burnish. My car was 3 years old with 5k miles and was not burnished by previous owner and pads were fine but after two really hard stops in a row from high speed I learned really quickly the burnish is worth it.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:16 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mordeth
It will be hard to get a definitive answer, unless someone with CCBs who didn't burnish and had a problem decides to post.

The burnishing procedure burns off adhesives that come on these pads. I am guessing that unless you track the car, or partake in regular, spirited driving requiring hard-braking, that burnishing is likely not a <required> action. You will still be able to stop the car on the street just fine. However, why not just burnish them and be done with it? Then there is no need to worry. The process is fairly straightforward.
The problem I have is a stretch of road to do it on properly unfortunately .
Old 12-10-2016, 01:55 AM
MacManInfi
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah, there is no way I can do it around here so I haven't. Didn't with my Z/28 either, even though I autocrossed it numerous times. Never had any problems.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:15 PM
Firemedic301
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts

I have NOT burnished my CCB and have 4500 miles on my car and I am starting to hear a slight brake now with very slow speed stopping. I made burnish them to see if it helps? Any input on the squeaky brake issue, it is not horrible, but I do hear it.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:24 PM
nitromax
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the standard z06 brakes. Do I have burnish my brake? Thanks guys.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:25 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by nitromax
I have the standard z06 brakes. Do I have burnish my brake? Thanks guys.
No.

Get notified of new replies

To Burnishing

Quick Reply: Burnishing