Sponsored by:

Looking at dealer demo C7Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:06 PM
CHOPPER1
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Looking at dealer demo C7Z

Hello all..well it's been a while. I've been off the reservation for a while and am looking at trading my SL550 and getting back into a C7.

I have a Mercedes Benz SL550 to trade, but upside down on trade value so the dealership suggested one of the dealer demos that they use when they take car dealers and sales staff and let them track test them or do whatever they do. I can save a few bucks and they will give factory warranty including powertrain.

I'm going to look at the car this afternoon. All I know is it that it is a 2015 Z06 with about 5000 miles (hard miles I'm sure). The dealer is a Chevy dealer and will give me warranty and powertrain warranty. This post will be vague since I have not seen the car yet, but any hesitations on a dealer demo..I guess they bought it from a dealer in TX or Chicago. I'm still working on details. Sticker was 105K when new.

Your thoughts, yes, no, maybe, stay the hell away from it or hang onto my 2013 SL550 with only 9k pampered miles. I've been out of the loop for a few years.. any gotchas on the 2015 models? What about thoughts on these type of dealer cars? What kind of discount would you expect considering it's been a dealer toy?

Last edited by CHOPPER1; 01-04-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

May not be realistic but for me to consider such a car, I would be looking for around 30K off MSRP.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:18 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

Buying the used car doesn't really solve the whole upside-down issue, does it? You're still getting hosed on the Mercedes, only difference is that you are trading your pampered toy for a beat-up Chevy.

Why not just find a nice used C7 that will probably be priced as well (if not better) than the beater and make a deal on that? Or better yet - and forgive me if it sounds harsh - don't be financing these rapidly depreciating toys. If you can't handle these underwater propositions, you should stay in the shallow end of the pool.

I've BTDT myself.

Last edited by yeller z06; 01-04-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:38 PM
xxaarraa
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

I'd be weary of a track car.

Ultimately, your net OTD price is what matters. They can book the C7 and the SL however they want. i.e., book the C7 at 120 but give you 15 extra on the trade-in versus book the C7 at 90 and hose you on the SL. Dealer sales teams play all kinds of tricks with accounting the numbers depending on time of the year and commission structure. Bottom line: shop around for the best OTD delta and don't focus too much on the price of the car you are looking at.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:59 PM
CHOPPER1
Pro

The 30K discount was pretty close to what I had in mind..I guess we will see. As far a just going C7 and no Z06. In all honesty if I didn't do the Z I'd hang onto my the SL550 (the MB is about 450 hp and just over 500 TQ), it's a great car, just really like the HP of the Z. You can see in my gallery I've typically gone over the top on my previous Corvettes.

Lastly, as far as keep on paying on the Benz and being upside down..well even Superman had kryptonite as his weakness and at 50+ years old I still buy and trade way to often. I'm just glad my retirement portfolio is pretty good and God has blessed business this year. If poor money management on my car toys is my kryptonite..I'll just have to suck it up.. I do understand where you are coming from and no insult taken.

I was really just looking to see if the 15s were still getting good reports and if anyone actually bought one of the type of dealer cars.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:53 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Stick with the Mercedes.

You mentioned the dealer will give you a warranty. Is this the original GM warranty(60 month/100,000 mile), or an aftermarket warranty, or is the dealer giving a you a warranty that is only good in his store?

If the car does not have the original GM warranty, then run away.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-04-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:56 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 864 Likes on 601 Posts

I wouldn't pay a dime over 70.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:10 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

If they are giving the full term factory warranty from date of purchase and the car seems good now I'd be tempted. You say you trade fairly often so you could get out before warranty is up. Thirty off seems like a good price.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:48 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

You really need to find out what they are trying to sell you. In most cases, if it truly was a demo, it would not be titled and would have been sold some time ago. Seldom do dealers keep "demos" for two years and then sell them to another dealer. Dealers do though sell those units used at driving schools and I guess you could stretch that to be called a demo. Typically they will no longer have the factory warranty and any warranty offered would be a third party one which is obviously not nearly the same.

There is an outside chance the car was owned by a dealer who used it as a toy and then could never sell it. Many small town Chevy dealers just to not have a vette market. In that case he could have sold it to your local dealer and he now has what is purely a used car for all intents and purposes.

As a used car, you can buy all you want of them with low miles for $65,000- 70,000. Your 9,000 mile 2013 SL is worth roughly $46-48,000. That means you should be able to trade for somewhere around $20,000 but will still be major league upside down.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:01 PM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

Wholesale that 15Z is worth about 60k.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:12 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

If you're already upside down, why would you take on even more debt?
Old 01-04-2017, 08:05 PM
CHOPPER1
Pro

Just got back from the dealer. I'm still working details. Right now we are at about 73K for the car. It has 5500 miles and has the C7 package. Still talking and working out some details regarding warranty etc. Thanks for the input on the value of the car..and those concerned about my financial portfolio. At this point in life I've prepared for comfortable retirement when that time comes. My play money goes into my toys, cars and airplanes.

Really was asking what some might think about the GM ex-track car purchase and the amount of discount I should push for, not the upside down or my debt to income ratio..Got that covered. The car looked great with minor wear on passenger's bolster and headrest (I'm guessing helmets rubbing on the headrest). Tires look good, brakes, suspension etc..all looked to be in good condition. Does need lower air diffuser..Not a big deal. I left and told them I would think it over and do more research. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:24 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Based on your description that car has had the snot beat out of it. Warranty or not I'd walk away. With only 5500 miles it should be PRISTINE. If you purchase you are buying more negative equity because that car is not in prime condition. Walk away. Be patient. Drive the Mercedes until you're out from that financial cloud.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by CHOPPER1
Just got back from the dealer. I'm still working details. Right now we are at about 73K for the car. It has 5500 miles and has the C7 package. Still talking and working out some details regarding warranty etc. Thanks for the input on the value of the car..and those concerned about my financial portfolio. At this point in life I've prepared for comfortable retirement when that time comes. My play money goes into my toys, cars and airplanes.

Really was asking what some might think about the GM ex-track car purchase and the amount of discount I should push for, not the upside down or my debt to income ratio..Got that covered. The car looked great with minor wear on passenger's bolster and headrest (I'm guessing helmets rubbing on the headrest). Tires look good, brakes, suspension etc..all looked to be in good condition. Does need lower air diffuser..Not a big deal. I left and told them I would think it over and do more research. Thanks again for the feedback.
I think you meant the Z07 package. If so inspect the rotors closely. If they look pock marked it is time to get new ones at about $1300 each through Amazon. The rotors have to be weighed to see how close they are to the minimum weight printed on each rotor hat.

Track duty doesn't necessarily mean a car was abused despite what some people think. However, some wear items wear a lot faster during track duty like brake pads, rotors, tires, etc.

You say the dealer is providing a warranty. I am not sure what that means. GM provides the B2B warranty and the 5/100K warranty so what is the dealer providing? What is the In Service Date on the GM Warranty? It doesn't matter when a vehicle is sold as far as the warranty is concerned all that matters is the In Service Date.

What kind of activity was done with the car? Is this a Spring Mountain car that they picked up at an Auction? Is the GM Powertrain Warranty Blocked?

As for dealers letting people take one of their cars and track test it that just doesn't happen. Liability and Insurance would be major problems for a dealership that just let people take one of their cars and run off to the track with it. Instead of a sales person who is just parroting info somebody else gives them you need to talk to somebody who knows more about the car. To important of a purchase to do it through a person who only knows how to fill out the forms.

Now if the owner of the dealership was using the car as his personal car then some of those things might happen.

Like others have said you need to get yourself out from under water with your current car. Even if this Corvette is a fantastic car all the dealership is doing is collecting more money from you and making it seem like a good deal. Sort of like stabbing you in the back and having you thank them for doing it.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-04-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:29 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by CHOPPER1
...well even Superman had kryptonite as his weakness and at 50+ years old I still buy and trade way to often. I'm just glad my retirement portfolio is pretty good and God has blessed business this year. If poor money management on my car toys is my kryptonite..I'll just have to suck it up.. I do understand where you are coming from and no insult taken.
Glad to read that. No insult was intended - it's hard to communicate and infer things from the internet sometimes.

I too suffer the same kryptonite weakness; we should start our own support group. We're about the same age, and the C7 is about my 60th car.

I think the other point that I was trying to make, and others have alluded to, is that you can likely find another car that is comparable in equipment and mileage for the same price (or better) without the questionable history. I fear that you have stars in your eyes for this particular car, and that may be a mistake.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:27 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Given the details you already know, this is a ridiculous question to ask.
You already know the drive train has been put through hell over 5500 miles.
And as for the break-in? Right!
Get yourself a new one, don't worry about a few dollars more, sounds like you can handle it, and you're used to it.
JMHO
Old 01-05-2017, 09:32 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

My local dealer has a used 2015 Z06 with 4,856 miles. Black/black M7. They are asking $73480 but I'm guessing that it could be purchased for less than that.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at dealer demo C7Z

Old 01-05-2017, 09:44 AM
CHOPPER1
Pro

Thanks for all the replies..Good info.
@ Bill, that was pretty much what I was asking about, any gotcha that were issues on the Z07 package.. Poor wording on my prior. Great to be back to reading the forum and seeing it's still a powerful tool and resource. Thanks folks. I'll let you know if anything happens further.

-Tom
Old 01-05-2017, 01:53 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

I too suffer from "gotta have a toy" syndrome. There is nothing like owning muscle cars be it from the 60's to the present. I have had the fortune to own and have owned numerous muscle machines and I am now 68 years young. I hope I have the same enthusiasm when I'm 90 God willing.

The following users liked this post:
CHOPPER1 (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 08:22 PM
NWOZO6
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VictorBarron
I too suffer from "gotta have a toy" syndrome. There is nothing like owning muscle cars be it from the 60's to the present. I have had the fortune to own and have owned numerous muscle machines and I am now 68 years young. I hope I have the same enthusiasm when I'm 90 God willing.

I have been telling my wife about this syndrome for 28 years and she still doesn't buy it...lol

Quick Reply: Looking at dealer demo C7Z