Order process

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 04:20 PM
drobbins
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Order process

Hey Folks,

Going to see dealer to initiate order process Saturday. (might make it tomorrow)
Negotiations done.
Question about how this goes.
From what I read here the dealer will get a code from Chevy to track the build process. With this code can I track it or do I still count on the dealer to give me info.
Just wondering what to expect, pretty exciting.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:25 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

Your dealer will get 'build codes' and an estimated week for assembly. He should then e-mail you with this.

Keep in mind that the week of assembly doesn't mean you will have your car immediately after that. They have to ship it - and that can take a few more weeks.

I await my fiberglass baby in early to mid February.
:-)
Old 01-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

There are several ways to track your car. The dealer, but sometimes they are behind on the info. There is a "sticky" at the top of this forum that will give you the step by step process. I have found even with me knowing where the car is, it still seems like a year long wait.

Here's the link.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-thread.html

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 01-11-2017 at 04:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 04:46 PM
drobbins
Instructor

thanks for the info
yea, I'm expecting a pretty brutal waiting period
hopefully with the reported production slowdown things will move a little faster
Rebel Yell (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,008 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

be sure to ask your Dealer, before signing and providing a deposit if he has an allocation available NOW.... If he is a small dealership, or one that doesn't see many Vettes, he may not have an allocation and you could wait, and wait, and wait.
The following 2 users liked this post by Strake:
Rebel Yell (01-11-2017), Red C8 of Jax (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 05:41 PM
drobbins
Instructor

Good point on the allocation
It's a small town dealer and they've said they could order it for me but not in that exact verbiage. That's why I asked this question, because folks who have done this know what to say
Old 01-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Have you checked with the big forum dealerships? They are the largest volume Corvette dealers in the world. They DO have allocations. The order process is WELL documented by hundreds of us here on this forum. They all specialize in dealing with customers all over the country. Make it a fun adventure..... depending on where you live, it could be a day drive, or an airplane flight. Others have their cars courtesy delivered to a local dealership for a few hundred bucks, or you can always get one off their lot and have it shipped to you.

Plenty of options. Do your homework now, and don't be sorry later.

Although a small dealership CAN order a car for you, if they don't have an allocation, the order won't get picked up by Chevrolet and you can sit waiting for a very long time. You should be VERY specific with your dealership, and I don't just mean the sales guy you are dealing with, but with their Sales Manager, or GM and with the person who actually puts the orders in to get multiple confirmation that they have an allocation available now.

I have special ordered 2 Vettes in the last 13 months. Feel free to send me a PM if you wish and I'll give you my number to call if you wish.

Last edited by Strake; 01-11-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:03 PM
drobbins
Instructor

I got a quote from the big forum vendor closest to me
I was at my local dealer trying to setup a courtesy delivery and he matched the price
I'd rather buy locally, convenience/keep money local, but he's gotta be able to get it
I'll make him write into whatever he wants me to sign that the order has to be accepted in a week or the deal's off and he agrees to the courtesy delivery
I'll also check with a manager
Strake (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 06:31 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

The moment your dealer enters your order into the GM ordering system they will receive a 6-character "order number" (although most of the characters are usually letters). Your order will then be assigned an "event code", probably 1100. Event code 1100 means that your dealer has entered an order but GM hasn't picked it up yet. Though there are exceptions, most Corvette orders get picked up on Tuesdays. In such cases the event code typically changes to 2000 the next day (Wednesday). Once you hit 2000, your car is assured of being built, most likely in the next 4 to 6 weeks. Until it hits 2000, though, you have nothing but an order that was entered, waiting to be picked up.

The 6-character order number can be used by your dealer to track your order's progress. Once you hit 2000 you can expect things to move rather quickly with frequent changes to the event code. Once you hit 3300, your TPW (targeted production week) is usually available. The TPW is the week during which your car is expected to be completed.

As for allocations, everything already said by others here is correct. The only think I'll add is that with Corvette sales being down, many dealers are actually turning down allocations. This makes those allocations available to smaller dealers who would not otherwise get them. I honestly don't expect allocation to be a problem for you. In fairness, though, I'd give your dealer until Tuesday, January 24th to get your order picked up. Sometimes the process doesn't move quite quickly enough for a small dealer's order to get picked up immediately.

Hope this helps.
drobbins (01-22-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 06:38 PM
drobbins
Instructor

you folks are a wealth of information, thanks
now when I go to talk serious to them I have a better idea what I'm talking about
Old 01-11-2017, 06:53 PM
vet4me45
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I just went through the entire process. If your dealer doesn't have an allocation ask them their best guess as to when the order will be picked up. Figure about eight weeks from order acceptance to dealer delivery. It could be little longer if the plant is on four day weeks. You can track you car a couple of different ways. Once you get your order code you can go to the GM.com site and use the "Chat" feature to get updates on the order/build progress. Once the car is built you can get the OnStar system activated through your dealer and track it yourself. There are a couple of threads on how to do this. I just called my dealer and he took care of it. The good news is it was fun tracking the whereabouts of my car. The bad new is it seemed to take forever to get it here. Good luck and PM me if you have any specific questions.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:56 PM
drobbins
Instructor

8 weeks would put us into the weather just beginning to improve around here so that's no problem
Old 01-11-2017, 08:01 PM
drobbins
Instructor

The guy I've been talking to has business card says he's "Sales Manager"
I can probably get a hundred like it on ebay for $5
Emailed him and he assures me he has allocation and I won't be waiting extra. He guesses 5-7 week maybe 8 because of plant shutdown
It's small dealer but they do have about 10 vettes on lot so not tiny
Gonna try to get up there and talk face to face tomorrow
Old 01-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Awesome !!! Sounds good, now that we got that out of the way, tell us WHAT you are ordering

Model, color, options, etc etc....
Old 01-11-2017, 08:19 PM
drobbins
Instructor

base 2LT
Watkins Glenn Gray/Kalahari interior (because, leather is actually brown)
MSRC and the larger wheels that go with it
NPP exhaust
couple of cosmetic doodads, blacked out retainer in the grill, Stingray Logo package
A8, got a bum left leg, manual is not an option
thought about Z51 but really don't want dry sump system
that ought to do it
Strake (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 08:24 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

The car is going to be great and you're going to love it. What color wheels are you going with?

One thought - since you're going with the Carbon Flash Badge Package, you might consider the Carbon Flash hood stinger. It looks great and adds a little emphasis to the hood bulge.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:29 PM
drobbins
Instructor

got the black wheels with the machined faces
not a big fan of chrome
I looked at all the cosmetic/CF stuff available, just not for me

Get notified of new replies

To Order process

Old 01-11-2017, 10:30 PM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,470 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
The car is going to be great and you're going to love it. What color wheels are you going with?

One thought - since you're going with the Carbon Flash Badge Package, you might consider the Carbon Flash hood stinger. It looks great and adds a little emphasis to the hood bulge.

like this ?

Old 01-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Skippydoo
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Strake
be sure to ask your Dealer, before signing and providing a deposit if he has an allocation available NOW.... If he is a small dealership, or one that doesn't see many Vettes, he may not have an allocation and you could wait, and wait, and wait.
I just went trough this. Made a deposit and ordered a new 2017 in September. Still no allocation two weeks ago. Got my deposit back and Made a deal with MacMulkin with all discounts and red tags.

Last edited by Skippydoo; 01-11-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:50 PM
drobbins
Instructor

ok, so the order is in
got the paperwork and the tracking number
now the wait begins
beaversstonehaven (01-16-2017)

Quick Reply: Order process