C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ZF6/Bellhousing - proactive part replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 08:43 PM
nogoodsam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ZF6/Bellhousing - proactive part replacement?

Car has 44k miles (1996).

I'm removing my ZF6 and bell housing to check my pivot stud and clutch fork (seems to be making "contact" noise when clutch pressed).

My question is while I have the transmission and bell housing out:
-Should I proactively replacement any parts?
(i.e. such as throw-out bearing that makes the "normal" whining noise when clutch depressed from day 1)
-Should I re-lube any parts?
-Any other tasks I should do when re-assembling?

Any advise is appreciated...
--Sam
Old 01-15-2017, 08:29 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

With 44k miles, there shouldn't be a lot worn out. Your stock pressure plate and throwout bearing are of much higher quality than anything available new these days, so don't replace them unless there's an obvious problem!

I am also skeptical that your fork/pivot is worn out. My only advice is that when you put that back together, use blue Loctite on the smaller (6mm allen) screw that threads into the stud from the outside of the bellhousing.

Last edited by MatthewMiller; 01-16-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:20 PM
nogoodsam
Racer

Good point about part quality and lower mileage. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2017, 06:54 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nogoodsam
Good point about part quality and lower mileage. Thank you!
You're welcome. I'm paying forward from all the knowledge I've gotten here regarding my clutch woes over the past year. If you read up much at all, you'll learn that all replacement OE-style (pull-type) pressure plates these days are made in China. It doesn't matter if you buy a Cardone, Centerforce, Spec, or whatever: they are all based on the Chinese replacement parts. Those parts seem to use inferior metallurgy and bad molds and machining methods. So your original Valeo unit (which was made either in the US or Brazil) is better as long as there is nothing wrong with it. Knowing what I know now, I'd even have mine resurfaced before purchasing a replacement. The throwout bearing is a similar story. The cheap Chinese bearings in all the new kits just aren't very good, and if you can find an OE bearing they go for big bucks. So I'd stick with what you have unless you find there is a clear problem.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:09 PM
Lt4-396
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with the previous posts. Either stay with your original parts or go to a hydraulic TOB and upgraded clutch, but unless you have a problem or plan on going with a high HP build just stay stock.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:23 PM
Mike Plummer
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Same thing recently happened to my 96 with 41 thousand miles. Just replaced broken pivot stud and put it back together....she's running fine with no issues.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:55 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

then there's that rear main oil seal....
Old 01-16-2017, 10:42 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

I bought the kit from Carolina Clutch for my 94'. I just used maroon scotch brite on the fly wheel and put it all back together per the FSM. All is well nearly 25k miles later.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:11 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

That pivot stud is probably your "contact noise' issue. Replaced a couple of those on my '96. Warning, they are hard to find. I know that a few years ago, Jim Jandik at PowerTorque was working on manufacturing them, don't know if he actually ever did or not.

The thing to watch for one that assembly is the backing plate. It bolts from the outside of the bell housing into the pivot stud to prevent the stud from vibrating out. It is a very light torque spec, can't recall it right now, but it can snap very easily, It is a rather essential part.

When I changed my clutch at 130K miles, the DMF was toast. Yours is probably still good.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:19 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
That pivot stud is probably your "contact noise' issue. Replaced a couple of those on my '96. Warning, they are hard to find. I know that a few years ago, Jim Jandik at PowerTorque was working on manufacturing them, don't know if he actually ever did or not.

The thing to watch for one that assembly is the backing plate. It bolts from the outside of the bell housing into the pivot stud to prevent the stud from vibrating out. It is a very light torque spec, can't recall it right now, but it can snap very easily, It is a rather essential part.

When I changed my clutch at 130K miles, the DMF was toast. Yours is probably still good.
How did you determine your DMF was toast? Not questioning, just genuinely curious. Even when they are past there allowed "movement" they will still work fine they just don't dampen the noise as well. Ofcourse if the seal is broken and the grease spills out then they really are toast.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:26 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

11lb/ft for that locking screw (or "backing plate" - it's an unusual design). And yes, even at that their thread integrity is precarious. Use blue Loctite. Jim Jandik did make a run of new ones. He might have one left. Or his last one might be on my car. Sorry.

Last edited by MatthewMiller; 01-16-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:44 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
How did you determine your DMF was toast? Not questioning, just genuinely curious. Even when they are past there allowed "movement" they will still work fine they just don't dampen the noise as well. Ofcourse if the seal is broken and the grease spills out then they really are toast.
LOL, the way to test for movement is, while the flywheel is on the car, put the pressure plate bolts in on opposing sides and use those to move the disc. If I recall, the max spec is 2". I could move mine at least that much withjust the palm of my hand. There was also grease present. So, yeah, it was toast. Replaced it with the Spec 22lb steel. Aside from the noise it made it a lot more fun to drive.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:13 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

LOL, the way to test for movement is, while the flywheel is on the car, put the pressure plate bolts in on opposing sides and use those to move the disc. If I recall, the max spec is 2". I could move mine at least that much withjust the palm of my hand. There was also grease present. So, yeah, it was toast. Replaced it with the Spec 22lb steel. Aside from the noise it made it a lot more fun to drive.
Yep sounds done! Lol
Old 01-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

-Should I re-lube any parts?
-Any other tasks I should do when re-assembling?
I would get a grease needle (looks like a hypodermic needle w/a zerk on the "syringe end"), and put some high quality, synthetic grease in the throw out bearing. Grease that is in there now hasn't gone many miles...but it IS 20 years old.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:53 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

When you have it apart, check to see what is wrong and replace those.

I agree that it sounds like you may have a contact problem maybe due to the stud and fork. However, they may not be bad. If the stud comes loose and moves it can reduce clearances. If it is not worn, simply installing it correctly with locktite to keep it in position may be all that is needed.

Most of the parts in there are pretty expensive if you can find good replacements. The only proactive I did was the pilot bearing to go with a grooved bushing style since my original was marginal, the grooved style is better, and the cost was under $10.

The dual mass flywheel is a concern. The factory has defined a test to see if it is worn out or broken by checking the amount of rotation between the two parts of the flywheel (The FSM description is shown below). (The maximum amount of rotation is 1 3/8") Other than that and checking to see if the grease has been coming out of the flywheel it is a normal check for wear on the contact surface. If you are lucky, a red scotchbrite can clean up the surface OK.

Good luck.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:34 PM
nogoodsam
Racer

Some good thoughts/comments, thanks all!

Dumb question - Is it possible to remove transmission WITH bell housing attached?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:09 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

....Dumb question - Is it possible to remove transmission WITH bell housing attached?
No. The bell housing needs to stay attached to the block when the transmission is removed.

The pull type clutch means that the throwout bearing is on the engine side of the clutch fingers. The clutch fork is anchored on the bell housing and the throwout bearing.

So even if you remove the belhousing to engine bolts, the bell housing is still attached to the clutch fork which is attached to the throwout bearing which is still attached to the clutch pressure plate which is still attached to the flywheel which is still attached to the engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by QCVette:
mixalive (02-01-2017), nogoodsam (01-21-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To ZF6/Bellhousing - proactive part replacement?

Old 01-21-2017, 11:50 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by QCVette
So even if you remove the belhousing to engine bolts, the bell housing is still attached to the clutch fork which is attached to the throwout bearing which is still attached to the clutch pressure plate which is still attached to the flywheel which is still attached to the engine.
I suppose he could unscrew the fork pivot from outside the bellhousing and then leave the fork and bearing on there while removing the trans/bellhousing. But I can't think of a good reason to do it that way. With the shifter still on the trans, you need to be able to move the trans around a fair bit to get the stick to clear the tunnel on the way out. I would think the bellhousing would make that considerably harder. I'm also not sure if the tunnel would have enough clearance where it tapers down to let the bellhousing come straight back as far as required to get the input shaft all the way out.

So I guess the short answer is: don't do it that way.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:09 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
I suppose he could unscrew the fork pivot from outside the bellhousing and then leave the fork and bearing on there while removing the trans/bellhousing. But I can't think of a good reason to do it that way. With the shifter still on the trans, you need to be able to move the trans around a fair bit to get the stick to clear the tunnel on the way out. I would think the bellhousing would make that considerably harder. I'm also not sure if the tunnel would have enough clearance where it tapers down to let the bellhousing come straight back as far as required to get the input shaft all the way out.

So I guess the short answer is: don't do it that way.
Unless I'm mistaken, been awhile, but I believe you would still have to remove the trans to get to the pivot stud on the bell housing. But, yeah, regardless, I would not want to fight with the trans and bell housing at the same time.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:43 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Unless I'm mistaken, been awhile, but I believe you would still have to remove the trans to get to the pivot stud on the bell housing. But, yeah, regardless, I would not want to fight with the trans and bell housing at the same time.

The pivot stud is hidden by the transmission when installed. See the picture below with the FSM drawing to show where the pivot stud is located.

Quick Reply: ZF6/Bellhousing - proactive part replacement?