Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disconnecting a DRM oil cooler, question on the mess factor

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 02:40 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Disconnecting a DRM oil cooler, question on the mess factor

I need to reroute the lines because I'm installing T1 bars. I've changed the oil but haven't started it. Will 9 quarts of oil come out when I disconnect these? Or will it be a dribble based on what's in the line between the cooler and the block plate by the filter?

I ordered a couple aero quip caps/plugs for the fittings. Looking for what to expect

Thanks

Name:  image-1260488706.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  516.9 KB

Need the lines to be on the outside of this power steering cooler line. The bigger bar is pinching in here

Name:  image-1683883727.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  496.7 KB
Old 01-15-2017, 07:57 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You will lose the oil that is in the cooler and lines. Gravity is not your friend in this situation. Disconnect at the adapter first to eliminate the possibility of a siphon from the engine galleries. If you are buying new lines get a couple of caps to put on the adapter fittings to close them off to eliminate drips when you remove lines.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:59 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
You will lose the oil that is in the cooler and lines. Gravity is not your friend in this situation. Disconnect at the adapter first to eliminate the possibility of a siphon from the engine galleries. If you are buying new lines get a couple of caps to put on the adapter fittings to close them off to eliminate drips when you remove lines.
CHJ,
Thank you, this is kinda what I thought would happen. I'll wait for the plugs to deliver. I think I'll also unbolt the core first and let it hang so oil doesn't run down through the condenser and radiator.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:08 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Would it be easier to disconnect the power steering line and swap the oil hose position?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
Would it be easier to disconnect the power steering line and swap the oil hose position?
Good idea,
Wouldn't hurt to dump and replace the PS fluid. It's been in there for a year or year and a half. I'll take a look some night this week.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:44 PM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Dan, I just put that cooler on mine and I bent/tweaked/massaged that PS hardline just a bit to give some space. Seems like I tried routing the oil lines below the hard line and the bend down from the cradle was a bit much.

Do you have the stock radiator? If not, did you have to mount the oil cooler bracket on the front side of radiator support bar? Does your center air deflector get caught on the oil cooler bracket????

Last edited by tmtraylor; 01-18-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:51 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by tmtraylor
Dan, I just put that cooler on mine and I bent/tweaked/massaged that PS hardline just a bit to give some space. Seems like I tried routing the oil lines below the hard line and the bend down from the cradle was a bit much.

Do you have the stock radiator? If not, did you have to mount the oil cooler bracket on the front side of radiator support bar? Does your center air deflector get caught on the oil cooler bracket????
Tim,
I'm still using the stock radiator. I haven't skilled up enough yet to have water temp issues. I have a track spec hood vent, I'm guessing that is helping some too.

My EOC bracket is mounted on the back side of the lower black metal cross bar. The air dam doesn't move and gets caught on the cooler/bracket combo. I also was only able to use one of the two aluminum brackets thats on this metal cross bar. because I wasn't able to get the DRM cooler centered. I may be able to route the lines under the PS line, I have a little (very little) extra oil line. I bought a aeroquip 90* elbow for the driver side line that helped create a little slack in the overall line. I can snap a couple pics and email them for you if its useful, let me know.

Do you know if that PS line is high or low pressure? I'm guessing that will make a difference on how easy or difficult it is to disconnect and move.

This has me thinking, I've noticed the nose of my car feels light around 115-120 mph and up. Noticed this on the back straight at VIR and front straight at Summit Main. Maybe the fixed air dam is the culprit here. I was thinking the different feel was more tire related, I moved up to a 315/30 setup last year.

I saw your LS6 gave up last year, what did you end up going with for a motor option?

Dan
Old 01-19-2017, 07:53 AM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

​​​​​​Pics would be great, thanks! I'm not sure if the PS line high or low pressure, but a flare nut wrench would be smart.

I haven't driven at speed with this oil cooler (I have the DRM/Ron Davis radiator and abandoned the built in oil cooler because it may have motor chunks in it), but I bet the air dam now being fixed would not make the nose lighter. Is your new tire setup square? Maybe you have lost a little take???

I had another LS6 built. My heads and intake manifold survived but everything else didn't. Forged pistons and rods, little bigger cam, little bigger valves ... Yada,yada, yada $10K later I have a fresh motor. I'm putting a quartmaster clutch in now and hope to be back in a couple of weeks.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:49 PM
opel
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

Can the block plate be removed with out the oil in the engine draining out?
Old 01-21-2017, 06:18 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

The PS cooler is a low pressure return line. Pull the PS line and leave the EOC lines together, or just bend the PS lines some and call it a day.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:52 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

do you have measurements of the length on the lines? Im looking into building an oil cooler setup this summer using an integrated thermostat rather than what drm and lgm sell, but want to order the minimum amount of hose...

Thank you very much!

Old 01-26-2017, 07:06 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by el es tu
do you have measurements of the length on the lines? Im looking into building an oil cooler setup this summer using an integrated thermostat rather than what drm and lgm sell, but want to order the minimum amount of hose...

Thank you very much!

I don't have the dimensions of the hoses. I know that these lines are definitely the minimum length and it makes it difficult to install. The shorter of the two lines was short to the point it would pinch. I picked up and aeroquip 90 degree elbow to get rid of the pinching. You can see it in one of the original photos. I can snap a different pic this weekend if it helps.
The following users liked this post:
el es tu (01-26-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Disconnecting a DRM oil cooler, question on the mess factor

Quick Reply: Disconnecting a DRM oil cooler, question on the mess factor