Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 04:24 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Fun with CF vinyl wrap today

Well, you know I must be getting cabin fever

Here's a couple of things I vinyl wrapped today....... I had wanted to do the steering wheel lower trim piece so I bought a piece of Carbon Fiber Vinyl wrap for $5 but the piece was 12" X 60".

So after doing the steering wheel trim piece, I thought WHAT ELSE can I wrap...... so took apart both key fobs and wrapped them too.

Next, I might try doing the larger steering wheel silver painted trim piece that has the buttons in it, IF I can figure out how to remove it without having to take too much apart. Anyone know how difficult that is, or does the airbag have to come out, etc, etc? Little leery of messing with the airbag....
Attached Images   
The following 9 users liked this post by Strake:
bjones7131 (01-17-2017), blkvet6 (01-15-2017), bosco1 (01-16-2017), DAC17 (01-16-2017), JRYELLOWCORVETTE (01-16-2017), Maxie2U (01-17-2017), oldC5 (01-15-2017), Scoobydoobydoo (01-17-2017), Vett2017 (01-17-2017) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-2017, 04:31 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Actually looks pretty good.
The following users liked this post:
Strake (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 04:34 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Nice job looks good.
Strake (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 04:49 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks great congrats
Strake (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 05:20 PM
Smart Line
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

looks good
Strake (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 05:23 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

great job
where did you purchase the material?
Old 01-15-2017, 05:48 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Looks great !
Old 01-15-2017, 05:54 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Very nice-I did my key FOB exactly the same way.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:04 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Pics of the other side of the fob ?
Old 01-15-2017, 06:07 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by walker3
great job
where did you purchase the material?
Amazon........ $5.99 for a 12" X 60" piece. Nice stuff. I could have paid about $14 for a smaller piece of 3M material, but thought I'd try this. It was listed as 3D Carbon Fiber Film.... I'd attach a link, but I don't think that is allowed here......

I figured that for $5.99 I'm not out much if I didn't like it, but as you can see, I'm happy with the results.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:09 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tcinla
Pics of the other side of the fob ?
Here you go.....
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2017, 07:42 PM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Strake
Well, you know I must be getting cabin fever

Here's a couple of things I vinyl wrapped today....... I had wanted to do the steering wheel lower trim piece so I bought a piece of Carbon Fiber Vinyl wrap for $5 but the piece was 12" X 60".

So after doing the steering wheel trim piece, I thought WHAT ELSE can I wrap...... so took apart both key fobs and wrapped them too.

Next, I might try doing the larger steering wheel silver painted trim piece that has the buttons in it, IF I can figure out how to remove it without having to take too much apart. Anyone know how difficult that is, or does the airbag have to come out, etc, etc? Little leery of messing with the airbag....
How close does this match the stock carbon fiber on the car dash?
Old 01-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

It's pretty darn close. Close enough that I'm going to pop out the trim piece on the lower left side that has the mirror adjuster and HUD rocker switches that is currently flat black.

If you wish, I can take a pic tomorrow of the material up against the factory dash. Let me know if you want to see that....
Old 01-16-2017, 09:48 PM
Gio's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

I wrapped the bezel too, you need to remove the air bag in order to pull the bezel.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:04 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Gio,

Looks great !!!! Was the removal of the airbag a big deal, or any surprises? That's a bigger concern to me than the wrap process

How well did the vinyl wrap pull around and conform to all the curves, etc? I figure I'll need to use a hair dryer to heat it up in those areas. Did it take multiple attempts to get the wrap on nicely?

thanks,
Old 01-16-2017, 10:20 PM
Gio's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

Gio,

Looks great !!!! Was the removal of the airbag a big deal, or any surprises? That's a bigger concern to me than the wrap process

How well did the vinyl wrap pull around and conform to all the curves, etc? I figure I'll need to use a hair dryer to heat it up in those areas. Did it take multiple attempts to get the wrap on nicely?

thanks,
Removing the air bag wasn't a big deal to me since I removed it before when I did the steering wheel swap.
Heat gun is a must, it was my first try by just watching YouTube videos and it actually came out pretty good.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:10 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Very nice job.

To get at the bezel, remove the negative battery cable. You use two thin screw drivers into the two small holes that are on each side of the back of the steering wheel. There are threads on here with pictures. You press both screw drivers at the same time and you will feel a spring there and while doing that you push out the air bag. You need three hands but I usually use my legs to help. Then there are two connectors on the air bag. The wires are short, but if you tilt the top out slightly, you can get in a small screw driver to pop up the lock on each connector. So the locks are at the top of each connector and they pull up. Then the connectors just pull off. The connectors are on the bag itself. Don't pull hard on the connector where the go into the steering column. The bezel just pulls off.

While you are at it, you might consider trying to wrap the paddles. It should be possible. I just got a set of real CF paddles and they are pricier than gold. There are two Torx screws to remove the bottom paddles, and one for each top. Once you have the paddles removed, there are three small torx screws to take the switches apart. You need a set of micro torx bits for electronics. I got a set of bits for a few bucks from the local Harbor Freight. You remove the three torx screws and the paddles fall off. Then you can paint them or wrap them easier without having to worry about the switch contacts. I assume this is how the vendors "wrap" the switches in real CF.

This is just a suggestion "while you are in there". I think it really looks sharp when it all matches, so just use the same wrap material. I could not figure out a way to get the symbols back, but if you are artistic I would think they could be painted on by hand? I assume there is some commercial machine that can imprint these somehow?

I'm not sure if the switches for cruise control and the dash display on the bezels could be done. I have not seen any of the CF vendors do them so I assume they are tougher.

Again, this is the real carbon fiber, but wrapping it would be produce similar results I think - minus the original symbols.

Last edited by Flame Red; 01-17-2017 at 05:26 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fun with CF vinyl wrap today

Old 01-17-2017, 09:00 AM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

It's pretty darn close. Close enough that I'm going to pop out the trim piece on the lower left side that has the mirror adjuster and HUD rocker switches that is currently flat black.

If you wish, I can take a pic tomorrow of the material up against the factory dash. Let me know if you want to see that....
That would be great, because I am thinking about doing the console
Old 01-17-2017, 10:28 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Good idea for the key fob.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:29 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Flame Red,

Thank you for the details on how to release the airbag, etc... still thinking about it.....

As for the paddles, mine are RED from the factory, and I like them as is. I would not attempt to do the radio control 4 buttons on the lower section of the wheel, as I couldn't get the marking back again.

The other piece I really want to do is on my factory FAY CF dash, to do the lower panel for mirror adjustment / HUD display. I poked around at it yesterday with my plastic trim tool, but it is so tight a fit, I can't get the tool in to start prying it out. Another member posted some great pics from the back side of the dash showing that the 2 big retaining clips are at the top side, and two plastic tab retainers are at the bottom. I just need to be able to get something in to pry it out without damaging my dash.

thanks again,
Richard

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Very nice job.

To get at the bezel, remove the negative battery cable. You use two thin screw drivers into the two small holes that are on each side of the back of the steering wheel. There are threads on here with pictures. You press both screw drivers at the same time and you will feel a spring there and while doing that you push out the air bag. You need three hands but I usually use my legs to help. Then there are two connectors on the air bag. The wires are short, but if you tilt the top out slightly, you can get in a small screw driver to pop up the lock on each connector. So the locks are at the top of each connector and they pull up. Then the connectors just pull off. The connectors are on the bag itself. Don't pull hard on the connector where the go into the steering column. The bezel just pulls off.

While you are at it, you might consider trying to wrap the paddles. It should be possible. I just got a set of real CF paddles and they are pricier than gold. There are two Torx screws to remove the bottom paddles, and one for each top. Once you have the paddles removed, there are three small torx screws to take the switches apart. You need a set of micro torx bits for electronics. I got a set of bits for a few bucks from the local Harbor Freight. You remove the three torx screws and the paddles fall off. Then you can paint them or wrap them easier without having to worry about the switch contacts. I assume this is how the vendors "wrap" the switches in real CF.

This is just a suggestion "while you are in there". I think it really looks sharp when it all matches, so just use the same wrap material. I could not figure out a way to get the symbols back, but if you are artistic I would think they could be painted on by hand? I assume there is some commercial machine that can imprint these somehow?

I'm not sure if the switches for cruise control and the dash display on the bezels could be done. I have not seen any of the CF vendors do them so I assume they are tougher.

Again, this is the real carbon fiber, but wrapping it would be produce similar results I think - minus the original symbols.

Quick Reply: Fun with CF vinyl wrap today