C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will this fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:40 PM
steersdad
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default will this fit?

Howdy everyone,

I am putting my L88 motor into my 69 coupe (427/435 car). The L 88 was in a Chevelle, and has a deep sump oil pan. I want to use a road-racy style pan on the motor. I found several very inexpensive pans of this type on eBay, but I don't know if it will fit. The ad has the basic dimensions of the pan. A link follows.

To further complicate things, I am installing a Flaming River manual rack and pinion setup, and i am using Hooker Super Competition, under chassis headers.

I doubt that this is a unique setup, so if anyone can offer any helpful guidance in the form of knowledge or experience with this setup, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261297745116?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 01-16-2017, 12:55 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

The pan is a 7606G Mr Gasket which will fit a stock 1969 Corvette. What are you really going to do with the car, drag race, road course, or just a driver?

Last edited by MelWff; 01-16-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:37 PM
steersdad
Pro

Hello Mel, Thanks for your reply. A complete aside... we lived in Danbury for 17 years. Used to go to the Marcus Dairy every Saturday night.

Anyway, I plan to do a little autocross, with the goal of scaring the beans out of the 20-something's driving Honda Civic's and Subaru's ( if they still do that up in Bristol). The car is registered and insured, and will continue to be street driven. And loud.

I don't want to use the deep sump pan I have on the motor now, because even the best roads in Connecticut are a tad bumpy, and I don't want to smash it.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:26 PM
ENCSDOUG
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I have a 72 with a 383 stroker motor and the same pan with steroid RP steering. It barely fit with but no rubbing.
The following users liked this post:
steersdad (01-17-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 02:35 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Not sure if this is too costly but the link below is a true road race pan as opposed to drag race. As you may know the Marcus family sold the property and it's become a shopping center.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...model/corvette

Last edited by MelWff; 01-18-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:20 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

I have a street strip moroso pan that fits if you would like it, I will cut you a good deal.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:22 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

I replaced it with that milodan pan referenced above. Never even used it. I installed the moroso pan when I built the motor, and pulled it off and put on the milodan when I was sorting an oil leak (I thought It may be the pan but ultimately I had a missing gasket.) More importantly, since I started the project my hobbies have changed, and I became somewhat active at track days and HPDE. I wanted to set the car up for an occasional session, should I desire. So I decided to replace it with the milodan pan while the motor was out.

The moroso pan sat on the engine for about 14 or so years and never saw the road. One thing that I will say is that it does have fewer bolt connection spots/holes to the block compared to OE. It is very thick metal. So no telling if that could cause seepage or not. Perhaps someone else can chime in. It is possible that it was leaking from there as well, but there is not a way for me to know because the actual leak was obviously above the pan, and any leak rolled down past the pan and dripped off.

I will cut you a screaming deal on it, as well as the requisite dipstick. (Unless I had to use it on the new milodan pan, which I don't think I did. I will obviously check first if you are interested.) It is made out of really nice braded aluminum. It is show quality stuff.

Here are some photos from when I built the motor.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...of-photos.html

Last edited by ElCid79; 01-18-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:58 AM
steersdad
Pro

Default nice job!

Originally Posted by ElCid79
I replaced it with that milodan pan referenced above. Never even used it. I installed the moroso pan when I built the motor, and pulled it off and put on the milodan when I was sorting an oil leak (I thought It may be the pan but ultimately I had a missing gasket.) More importantly, since I started the project my hobbies have changed, and I became somewhat active at track days and HPDE. I wanted to set the car up for an occasional session, should I desire. So I decided to replace it with the milodan pan while the motor was out.

The moroso pan sat on the engine for about 14 or so years and never saw the road. One thing that I will say is that it does have fewer bolt connection spots/holes to the block compared to OE. It is very thick metal. So no telling if that could cause seepage or not. Perhaps someone else can chime in. It is possible that it was leaking from there as well, but there is not a way for me to know because the actual leak was obviously above the pan, and any leak rolled down past the pan and dripped off.

I will cut you a screaming deal on it, as well as the requisite dipstick. (Unless I had to use it on the new milodan pan, which I don't think I did. I will obviously check first if you are interested.) It is made out of really nice braded aluminum. It is show quality stuff.

Here are some photos from when I built the motor.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...of-photos.html

Very nice job on your car.
I would be interested in your oil pan if my motor was a smallblock. But it is a big block, and I'm pretty sure they are incompatible.
many thanks
Doug
Old 01-19-2017, 09:59 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

You are correct, my mistake. I didn't look closely enough at the pan you posted or your post for that matter. Clearly you said L88 and 427. Sorry..

Last edited by ElCid79; 01-19-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To will this fit?

Quick Reply: will this fit?