Sponsored by:

Help with VIN

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 01:05 PM
See Three
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Help with VIN

I have a VIN that shows up in the C3 registry with minimal information other than 270hp and the decoder doesn't like it. This is a 1971 car with 454 so it should be 365hp, correct? Number is 194371Sxxxxxx

Last edited by See Three; 03-31-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:10 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi ST,
The 71 VIN only contains the information that: it's a Chevrolet, a Corvette, a V-8, whether it's a coupe or a convertible, what model year it is, that it was produced in St.Louis, and the sequence number of when it was produced during that year's production run.
It contains no other engine, transmission, or option information.
Sorry!
Regards,
Alan
If in fact the car had an LS-5 optional engine it would be the 365 hp rating.

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-16-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:23 PM
See Three
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi ST,
The 71 VIN only contains the information that: it's a Chevrolet, a Corvette, a V-8, whether it's a coupe or a convertible, what model year it is, that it was produced in St.Louis, and the sequence number of when it was produced during that year's production run.
It contains no other engine, transmission, or option information.
Sorry!
Regards,
Alan
If in fact the car had an LS-5 optional engine it would be the 365 hp rating.

So if there is no build sheet is there any way to tell if it had a stock LS-5 other than the hood which could have been replaced?
Old 01-16-2017, 01:27 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

The C3 registry is only as good as the information some previous owner put in. If they did not enter the engine option it would be shown as a base engine car or didn't enter any options it would be shown as a base car with no options. A base car could also be entered as a highly optioned C3 but that doesn't mean it is. Some people enter the options on their C3 and forget some or don't even know what some of them are. You can also register yours with what it really has.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:34 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by See Three
So if there is no build sheet is there any way to tell if it had a stock LS-5 other than the hood which could have been replaced?
You might start by looking at the stamp pad on the front of the engine block right in front of the passenger side cylinder head and post the letters and numbers you see. The second set should be a derivative of the serial number on your windshield post if the engine is original.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:42 PM
See Three
Instructor

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
You might start by looking at the stamp pad on the front of the engine block right in front of the passenger side cylinder head and post the letters and numbers you see. The second set should be a derivative of the serial number on your windshield post if the engine is original.

I know the motor is a re-stamp so if they did use the same number I could learn something, but is that the only thing besides the hood?
Old 01-16-2017, 01:55 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi ST,
Yes, there were a few other clues that can help determine if a 71 car was originally equipped with a 454 engine:
Tachometer red line
Radiator configuration
Sway bars
Half shaft u-joint fasteners

Even knowing the casting number and casting date of the engine block will help determine if this engine MIGHT have been installed in this car originally. Both are located on the rear flange of the block just forward of the bell housing.

There are other parts of the engine that may contribute in identifying if they were a part of an engine that COULD have been installed in this particular car. A list of casting numbers, part numbers, and dates might be a good idea.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-16-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:08 PM
See Three
Instructor

Hi ST,
Yes, there were a few other clues that can help determine if a 71 car was originally equipped with a 454 engine:
Tachometer red line
Radiator configuration
Sway bars
Half shaft u-joint fasteners

Even knowing the casting number and casting date of the engine block will help determine if this engine MIGHT have been installed in this car originally. Both are located on the rear flange of the block just forward of the bell housing.

There are other parts of the engine that may contribute in identifying if they were a part of an engine that COULD have been installed in this particular car. A list of casting numbers, part numbers, and dates might be a good idea.
Regards,
Alan

Thanks, Alan, that's the kind of info I was looking for. I guess the danger here is that the car came with a 350 and was switched at some point, but the 454 going into is not original either- it would just be nice to know that the car was an LS-5 and it now has a period correct stock motor. I'm told that the casting number says that it was made in 08/70 so would that be for a 1971 model?

Last edited by See Three; 01-16-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:13 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I'm told that the casting number says that it was made in 08/70 so would that be for a 1971 model?...
August 1970 would be okay for an early 71. Engines were assembled and shipped to St. Louis before actual assembly of the car began. The lag time could be up to six months, but two to three weeks is much more common. What is the time build date for your car? Look for a block cast/assembled within six weeks of your time build date.

Do you know about the strike for the 1971 model year?
Old 01-17-2017, 08:21 AM
See Three
Instructor

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
August 1970 would be okay for an early 71. Engines were assembled and shipped to St. Louis before actual assembly of the car began. The lag time could be up to six months, but two to three weeks is much more common. What is the time build date for your car? Look for a block cast/assembled within six weeks of your time build date.

Do you know about the strike for the 1971 model year?

I spoke to the previous owner yesterday and info is trickling in- he did order the build sheet (U.S. car) and the current owner has it but he is away this week. He thinks it was built in March 71 and he did mention the strike too. It is an LS-5 car and he says the frame is one of the best he has seen so all good news. I've also been speaking to an appraiser about taking a look at it and when I told him who is restoring it he had nothing but good things to say about that shop.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:45 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

One little tidbit....the 365 HP engine was rated at 270 net HP. I know that the net ratings didn't go completely in effect until the 1972 model year, but in production vehicles, especially ones built later in the model year, unusual things have happened.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:48 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...194371S101475...
...He thinks it was built in March 71...
The Corvette Black Book puts your car in early September. Last August car was #1212. The last September car was #2226. The strike began about September 15, so your car managed to miss the strike.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:19 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi ST,
In the same way that the engine block can be checked to see if it's 'appropriate' for a car with a certain build date, so can parts like the:
intake manifold
exhaust manifolds
carburator
water pump
fan clutch
starter
distributor
alternator
It would be especially nice if they had numbers and dates that are appropriate for the engine too.
Also, have you checked to see how the transmission is stamped? It was stamped with the VIN derivative at the same time the engine was stamped while in St.Louis?
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-17-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:29 AM
See Three
Instructor

Hi ST,
In the same way that the engine block can be checked to see if it's 'appropriate' for a car with a certain build date, so can parts like the:
intake manifold
exhaust manifolds
carburator
water pump
fan clutch
starter
distributor
alternator
It would be especially nice if they had numbers and dates that are appropriate for the engine too.
Also, have you checked to see how the transmission is stamped? It was stamped with the VIN derivative at the same time the engine was stamped while in St.Louis?
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

The original seller told me that he had two Corvettes, this one was in good shape but needed a motor and the other one had a period correct LS-5 motor so he sold them together. My guess is that none of the drive train is original as it was also converted to Automatic but now is being changed back to 4 speed. The clutch pedal was never removed. I guess the bottom line is that the car will have period correct drivetrain but nothing original.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with VIN

Quick Reply: Help with VIN