C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RollMaster Timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:47 PM
BURL
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RollMaster Timing chain

Doing a 10PPSI Paxton on full bolton LS1 with stock bottom end. Baby blower cam.

One well known national engine builder said with my relatively mild set up a single roller Roll Master timing set up was all I needed - no double roller required.

The Roll Master kit is billet gears with German made Iwis seamless roller chain. I don't want to get into who's chain set brand is better or single vs double - just a couple of simple questions:

1.Any of you guys use this Roll Master single roller timing set? Any problems or regrets?

2. This is somewhat of a budget build so I've also considered keeping my 58,000 mile gears and just using the Roll Master chain (German made Iwis seamless roller chain). Any one has failure problems of the stock gears? They fairly stout?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:20 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Talk to Brett, Blownbluez06. He will get you a great chain and price is good.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:17 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 964 Likes on 780 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by silver408z
Talk to Brett, Blownbluez06. He will get you a great chain and price is good.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:41 PM
BURL
Pro

Default Timinng Chain

Originally Posted by Smoken1
Thanks for the reply. it's always good when member jump in to help. But, as i said don't want to debate brands or single vs roller. Just want opinions of this chain (German made Iwis seamless roller chain) and/or this German made chain set with roll Master billet gears.

Thank again.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:36 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

I used to use the Double's, but never the single. I don't use them anymore. No Real reason other than I didn't like what I saw after some miles on them as far as with AL blocks seems to load up the front cam bearing pretty good because the chain had no real slack when new etc... So moved to stock gears and C5R and C6R chains and I also found that the factory gears are almost always dead nuts on as far as degreeing a cam in. Never had any issues with the stock gears either. I also have used Brett (BlownblueZ06) chain set, it also works great and is a quality piece especially for what he sells them for etc... But anything you do should be fine what ever you decide. GL! Hope that help you make a choice.
The following users liked this post:
BURL (01-17-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 08:55 AM
BURL
Pro

Default Timing chain/gears

Originally Posted by burl
doing a 10ppsi paxton on full bolton ls1 with stock bottom end. Baby blower cam.

One well known national engine builder said with my relatively mild set up a single roller roll master timing set up was all i needed - no double roller required.

The roll master kit is billet gears with german made iwis seamless roller chain. I don't want to get into who's chain set brand is better or single vs double - just a couple of simple questions:

1.any of you guys use this roll master single roller timing set? Any problems or regrets?

2. This is somewhat of a budget build so i've also considered keeping my 58,000 mile gears and just using the roll master chain (german made iwis seamless roller chain). Any one has failure problems of the stock gears? They fairly stout?

Thanks in advance.
bbuuummmmppppp.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:46 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

Here's some good info

You should really look at the timing set Bret offers. It's comparable to this and addresses issues seen in others.

Last edited by CamminC5; 01-20-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:36 PM
BURL
Pro

Default Timing Chain

Originally Posted by CamminC5
Here's some good info

You should really look at the timing set Bret offers. It's comparable to this and addresses issues seen in others.
'HERE'S SOME GOOD INFO" This appears to be just a Google search. Did something get lost in the translation?

Thanks

Last edited by BURL; 01-20-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-20-2017, 06:59 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Holy ****. You're really making a lot of friends on here.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:32 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by BURL
'HERE'S SOME GOOD INFO" This appears to be just a Google search. Did something get lost in the translation?

Thanks
Nope. Just making sure you know how that Google thing works. The way your talking to people on here isn't going to get you much help... May want to rely on a search engine instead....
Old 01-20-2017, 08:43 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

lol, good read. I have a roll master with the bearing behind it, but I dont have miles on it yet. I've lost a chain before (LS2 chain w/ stock gears), so I upgraded everything related to that.
Engine builder who's more knowledgeable than me recommended it, from what he told, sometime he sees motor comes in and the gear wears into the cam retainer plate, since the cam is free floating, there's back and forth play.

My current roll master single, C5R chain, feels tighter than my previous LS2 chain stock gear combo. that alone was worth it to me. on a manual car, chain slop and on and off throttling, puts more stress on the chain, while can result in premature failure.

I'm a bit more sensitive to the subject, since I did loose a motor from chain failure. the $280 I spent between the timing set and chain, will make me sleep better at night. could be overkill, it's your dice to roll, please dont hit me
Old 01-20-2017, 11:59 PM
BURL
Pro

Default Timing Chain

Originally Posted by Capthuff
Holy ****. You're really making a lot of friends on here.
Don't understand your comment. What have I said to offend anyone?
Old 01-21-2017, 12:00 AM
BURL
Pro

Originally Posted by CamminC5
Nope. Just making sure you know how that Google thing works. The way your talking to people on here isn't going to get you much help... May want to rely on a search engine instead....
Who exactly have I offended?
Old 01-21-2017, 12:04 AM
BURL
Pro

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
lol, good read. I have a roll master with the bearing behind it, but I dont have miles on it yet. I've lost a chain before (LS2 chain w/ stock gears), so I upgraded everything related to that.
Engine builder who's more knowledgeable than me recommended it, from what he told, sometime he sees motor comes in and the gear wears into the cam retainer plate, since the cam is free floating, there's back and forth play.

My current roll master single, C5R chain, feels tighter than my previous LS2 chain stock gear combo. that alone was worth it to me. on a manual car, chain slop and on and off throttling, puts more stress on the chain, while can result in premature failure.

I'm a bit more sensitive to the subject, since I did loose a motor from chain failure. the $280 I spent between the timing set and chain, will make me sleep better at night. could be overkill, it's your dice to roll, please dont hit me
Thanks, good info. I think at this point I'm going with stock gears and roll master single based on what others have posted.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:06 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm going to agree with your engine builder.
Double roller chains usually require cover clearancing

Another vote for the elite timing set that blownbluez06 (Bret) offers. I'm pretty well versed with those timing sets he offers; i use a lot of them so I don't mind answering questions if you have any. The best part is the chain! It's a nice piece! It makes the C5R chain look tiny.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:27 AM
BURL
Pro

Default Chain

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6

Another vote for the elite timing set that blownbluez06 (Bret) offers. I'm pretty well versed with those timing sets he offers; i use a lot of them so I don't mind answering questions if you have any. The best part is the chain! It's a nice piece! It makes the C5R chain look tiny.
Thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna check in with blownbluez06 (Bret) before I make a decision. Keep hearing his chain is good. Do you have a link to a post on his chain?
Old 01-21-2017, 09:39 AM
BURL
Pro

Default Chain

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6

I found blownbluez06's (Bret) chain - gonna talk to him. Thanks for the tip.

Get notified of new replies

To RollMaster Timing chain

Old 01-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Was retainer plate wear visible on your car or was it all a torn up mess after the failure?

Did you have a chain damper?

Any evidence of metal in your oil / filter prior to failure?

Thanks

Rob

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
Old 01-21-2017, 03:27 PM
BURL
Pro

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
Was retainer plate wear visible on your car or was it all a torn up mess after the failure?

Thanks

Rob
No failure (knock on wood ). Only have 58K on car but will be running Brian Tooley .660 springs, aftermarket cam and 10 PSI Paxton so am looking at chain/gears for durability.

I'm asking lots of questions about pieces/parts/procedures hoping to take advantage of the members who have good luck (or bad) with those same pieces/parts/procedures. Hoping to avoid potential problems and failures. I've got over 40 years Chevy hot rodding experience but this is my first LS engine! Thanks.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:24 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob

Thanks

Rob
I've never seen wear on mine, but I've been through 4 cams, and plates. so I dont have long term data on that. never abnormal metal in oil, never ran a dampener either. I'll go with stock gears are fine. I'll invest in dampener and ATI, before doing some exotic timing gear setup.
The following users liked this post:
BURL (01-22-2017)

Quick Reply: RollMaster Timing chain