C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Banski Motorsports Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 12:02 PM
CMiller95
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Banski Motorsports Rear Suspension

Tom Urban at Banski Motorsports has started supplying rear trailing arms and camber rods again. He has also posted some articles on the spacer and mounting plate requirements so that someone can make their own if they choose. He has been a great help and I can't say enough good things about him. Here is the email he sent me last night:

"Hi Colton,

It took me a little longer than I thought it would but I have all the info compiled that I had referred to below.

I've identified a spacer kit for the camber rods. As suspected the stack up isn't exactly what's needed for the C4 application but it shouldn't require much more than a 3/32" shim or spacer. I'm also going to continue to supply the frame adapter plate and hardware kit. If you check out the website you'll notice that purchasing the kit is much more an a-la-carte experience now.

Here is a link to the camber rod page specifically. At the bottom are links to a few different documents that outline the setup and assembly processes as well as how customers can make their own spacers if they so choose. The spacers & adapter plates are also listed in the order center as well.

Hope this info helps and if you have any questions just let me know. Feel free to share this info as well, I'd like to get the info out that the camber rods & trailing arms are still available, even if in a slightly different form.

Best regards,
Tom"

Hope this helps anyone looking to upgrade their factory system

Website Link:
https://www.banskimotorsports.com/c4-irs.html

https://www.banskimotorsports.com/c4...er-center.html

Thanks!
Colton

Last edited by CMiller95; 01-17-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:48 PM
Lt4-396
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the entire kit from banski and they are holding up very well. I snapped two oem trailing arms and that was what began the banski purchase.

My only complaint is the price, I copied their pieces and built it myself using the same components and it was less than 1/2 price. Of course not everyone has access to the right machinery to do this but there is definitely a large mark up and then a "corvette tax" on top of it.
Overall I am very happy with the pieces.

If you buy anything from banski ALWAYS get the rubber dust boots especially for street driven cars.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:22 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt4-396
I have the entire kit from banski and they are holding up very well. I snapped two oem trailing arms and that was what began the banski purchase.

My only complaint is the price, I copied their pieces and built it myself using the same components and it was less than 1/2 price. Of course not everyone has access to the right machinery to do this but there is definitely a large mark up and then a "corvette tax" on top of it.

If you buy anything from banski ALWAYS get the rubber dust boots especially for street driven cars.
I also have the full Banski system, works awesome! I would recommend it to any C4 owner it makes BIG difference.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:46 PM
slow-vette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

This is a VERY timely thread. I have been looking at the Banski pieces. I'm planning on getting a set of Camber rods then hopefully the trailing arms later this spring and it's good to hear that they are quality parts. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the Toe Rods is not being able to find a bracket for the differential side of the rod. The Tie Rod conversion bolt is easily sourced from Speedway.

Have any of you had any issues from guys at the alignment shop not knowing what to do with the custom parts? Or, have you had better results from the alignment shop with the better parts?

Last edited by slow-vette; 01-17-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:00 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by slow-vette
This is a VERY timely thread. I have been looking at the Banski pieces. I'm planning on getting a set of Camber rods then hopefully the trailing arms later this spring and it's good to hear that they are quality parts. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the Toe Rods is not being able to find a bracket for the differential side of the rod. The Tie Rod conversion bolt is easily sourced from Speedway.

Have any of you had any issues from guys at the alignment shop not knowing what to do with the custom parts? Or, have you had better results from the alignment shop with the better parts?
The guy that does my alignment is a good friend
and he let me watch as he works, he said my car is one of the easiest to align of any he has done. And watching I really did seem pretty easy as long as the shop has decent equipment.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:46 PM
Lt4-396
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
The guy that does my alignment is a good friend
and he let me watch as he works, he said my car is one of the easiest to align of any he has done. And watching I really did seem pretty easy as long as the shop has decent equipment.

Yea doing a wheel alignment with the banski kit or any rod end takes maybe 10min. And is much easier than oem equipment
Old 01-17-2017, 10:53 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Glad I saw this thread! So I'm understanding this correctly...we can now go back on the Banski site and order the camber rods and such just like before? I thought I read that they were stopping C4 production pieces all together. I had been planning to pick up a complete rear set up but didn't before I read they weren't available. This would be great if they're back to making these pieces!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:59 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Just one more enthusiastic thumbs up for Mr. Urban. He's very responsive and super helpful in answering questions or getting small replacement parts.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:04 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Guys, not to sound dumb, but what does this do?
Old 01-17-2017, 11:18 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Guys, not to sound dumb, but what does this do?
Best explanations are found on the Banski site. Really. It's not marketing jibberish, but rather a detailed explanation from an engineer (or at least a guy with serious engineering knowledge). The very short version is that these links remove the vagueness of rubber bushings in locating the rear suspension, and they also get rid of the camber rod alignment cam that has a bad habit of moving and changing your rear camber setting. For that car that will just see cruising street duty this all may be overkill. For a car that is road-raced, autocrossed, or maybe drag raced, they can be very useful if class rules allow them.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:20 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt4-396
It doesn't matter much on the things you buy, you always pay someone in the middle for their time and materials also. You also have the time, money and materials required to assemble the kit and no one does that for free. Personally I do not have a problem paying someone for their designs and using their resources to make it possible. I'm sure Tom does not make everything himself, he contracts some of that out or buys it from other places to his specs. He deserves to make a profit from his design, it's proven and well spoken of.

I bought the entire Banski kit and have it to finish putting on my 86. If I had an issue with paying Tom's price for the kit I wouldn't have bought it, but I did. This seems to be one of those 'you get what you pay for' and I say that in a positive light.

I have nothing to gain here, I'm a paying customer like so many people. I have had an occasion to contact Tom on questions and issues and he's been very helpful and willing to share information unlike others I've contacted over the years.

Last edited by hcbph; 01-18-2017 at 06:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HAWAIIZR-1 (11-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2017, 08:13 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Best explanations are found on the Banski site. Really. It's not marketing jibberish, but rather a detailed explanation from an engineer (or at least a guy with serious engineering knowledge). The very short version is that these links remove the vagueness of rubber bushings in locating the rear suspension, and they also get rid of the camber rod alignment cam that has a bad habit of moving and changing your rear camber setting. For that car that will just see cruising street duty this all may be overkill. For a car that is road-raced, autocrossed, or maybe drag raced, they can be very useful if class rules allow them.
easy alignments, reduced weight (maybe 2 lbs or so) -better ride and consistent camber/toe across a range of wheel -suspension travel (by eliminating bushings that can compress).

better ride is from elimination of stiffened bushings - and transferring road forces thru springs/shocks instead of bushing mounts into the body.

go over a set of railroad tracks after the install and you will be amazed
Old 01-18-2017, 07:09 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

I checked out the Banski site today. I don't see that they are carrying the toe rods like they used to. I'd really hoped to change all the components out and use the same manufacturers stuff. Has anyone heard if they will be making these available in the future? I see that VB&P's carry all the components to completely change out the rear end. Does anybody have any knowledge comparing the two products (Banski vs VB&P)? Thanks! I'll probably call up Banski and inquire about the toe rods.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:30 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by JimZRyd
I see that VB&P's carry all the components to completely change out the rear end. Does anybody have any knowledge comparing the two products (Banski vs VB&P)?
Just a thought. Do you believe that two different vendors will use two different sources for the same part that's 20 plus years out of production? For a car that has limited popularity?

Most of what we need are either NOS or CE re-pops.
OTOH I have a used rear toe assembly (30K) waiting for a new owner.
PM for info. Shipping from kali.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:35 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Just a thought. Do you believe that two different vendors will use two different sources for the same part that's 20 plus years out of production? For a car that has limited popularity?

Most of what we need are either NOS or CE re-pops.
OTOH I have a used rear toe assembly (30K) waiting for a new owner.
PM for info. Shipping from kali.

Well I certainly do believe different vendors use different sources to produce a similar or same product. My Moog ball joints certainly are higher quality than oem. Limited popularity??? Just how many C4's were produced and sold?

My 94 only has 10.5K miles at the moment, but I'm all for replacing certain expendable items with newer and more improved pieces. Thanks for your thoughts though
Old 01-18-2017, 09:53 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

VBP and Banski's are 2 different takes on a similar idea as far as the shafts are concerned. VBP rod ends are screw in and locked into place with 1 or more jam nuts (assuming their product matches their pictures). Banski's uses cuts on the ends of the shafts and locking collars, similar in concept to collets used one lathes and mills. The locking collar is probably easier to tighten up without changing the setting as there is no radial motion like would be needed with a jam nut.

As far as the rod ends themselves, they could be the same parts from the same vendor or they may not be.

I would suspect either take would be pretty equal to the other in all actuality.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:33 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

went on Banski's site; noted that their products are also offered in a steel version rather than the aluminum rods; anyone use these or have thoughts on the steel versions ?

Get notified of new replies

To Banski Motorsports Rear Suspension

Old 01-19-2017, 02:10 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by JimZRyd
Well I certainly do believe different vendors use different sources to produce a similar or same product.......
... In the mean time look around and you'll see how few US vendors are making C4 parts in general.

Many timken bearings are now CE built, then repackaged here.
The US parts manufactures are gone.
And the C4 aftermarket parts are repackaged as well.
There are some high replacement parts like mufflers and shocks that have stayed on board.
But most are junk and sell for cheap.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:47 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
... In the mean time look around and you'll see how few US vendors are making C4 parts in general.

Many timken bearings are now CE built, then repackaged here.
The US parts manufactures are gone.
And the C4 aftermarket parts are repackaged as well.
There are some high replacement parts like mufflers and shocks that have stayed on board.
But most are junk and sell for cheap.

Great example of the current state of affairs in our country, which ends tomorrow
Old 01-19-2017, 09:12 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

To throw a third in the mix, there is also VanSteel trailing arms.

Are you guys that have switched, using the DRM relocation brackets too?

Quick Reply: Banski Motorsports Rear Suspension