C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best bang for buck car wash/wax products?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 07:14 AM
Dwim
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Best bang for buck car wash/wax products?

I bought my C7 (2016 Silver 3LT coupe) about a week ago. After 20 years of driving low end Ford company cars, I finally have a car worth caring for myself (rather than drive thru washes).

looking for suggestions on wash/wax system. I am not the type to spend hours and hours making it look like a mirror finish. I just want a quick, effective solution.

also lookin for recommendatons on interior cleaning products.

I read through the section of the forum about detailing, but most of that is posts by vendors. I want to get personal opinions.

sorry if this discussion has been done before. I am a newbie.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:59 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

^^^ You'll get many opinions, some from experts on the subject, I'm not but use Zaino-here is why:

With my C6 always parked at the end of our 800 slot parking lot at work. One of my product managers parked his C6 next to mine. It always looked better! He used Zaino but by mixing their polish with an accelerator and using multiple coats. Too much work for me!

When I got my September 2013 built C7 found a simple way to use the product. Emailed Sal at Zaino to validate. He said it was a good way to use their product. I use one coat of their Z5 polish without mixing. Then follow immediately with their CS clear seal. According to Sal it sets the polish. Love the CS as it's apply and let dry-no removal. In fact I now use it by itself on wheels, side skirts, splitter and carbon flash panel in the rear. Takes 5 minutes to do the whole car.

Can only buy their product from their website. The secret with any of their products is to use very little. If excessive the polish is more difficult to remove and the CS may streak. My small bottle of CS lasted almost 3 years! Easy to say, tougher to follow directions!

I did follow the recommendations of the experts and for the first time "clayed" the surface after washing. Did very little when the car was new but use about every 3rd time and do get some extra off. Bought that product and application fluid from someone else.

You can just use their CS and it couldn't be less work. They also sell an all-in-one, have not tried. For my planned GS will do the same.

You'll also get opinions that nothing but water is needed on the interior with perhaps a small amount of soap added. Wife has white leather in her BMW and her new jeans stained them blue. She tried her normal cleaners and still blue. She asked me what I use (very strange for her to ask me about cleaning anything-not my bag) and I tried my Zaino leather cleaner and all the blue was gone! You'll also hear no need to use leather conditioner unless you like the smell (all car leather is coated with a very thin layer of plastic!) Guess I like the smell of the Zaino product. I use very little like with all their products. Still have the bottles purchased 3+ years ago. [PS, my business includes dealing with moisture permeating 1/8 inch wall thickness plastic hose- have to believe some stains permeate that thin plastic layer-but that is not scientific!]

My Z51 will be up for sale in a few months to replace with a GS. It looks new!

FWIW from a non expert!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-19-2017 at 09:20 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the OP, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:03 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

You'll easily get around 50 posts answering your question. For the interior, I use Lexol leather cleaner to assure neutralization of anything acidic in contact with the seats and panels.
For the exterior, I used Meguiars on the C5 but became disenchanted with it. I'm currently searching. Might try Adams next.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:06 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Do some research on the no rinse method. I was a little skeptical but it works great and absolutely doesn't scratch the car. Takes me about 20 minutes to wash the car. I use Optimum Wash and Wax but there are other brands.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:26 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
You'll easily get around 50 posts answering your question. For the interior, I use Lexol leather cleaner to assure neutralization of anything acidic in contact with the seats and panels.
For the exterior, I used Meguiars on the C5 but became disenchanted with it. I'm currently searching. Might try Adams next.
I use Adams products. Slightly more expensive but good products. Their detail spray is my favorite.

Last edited by rkhegler; 01-18-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:34 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

To answer your question....ANY brand of CAR SOAP in a bucket of water when the car is dirty works. Shammy dry .... a little detail spray with a micro fiber towel and you're good to go. No more than 20 mins. Interior....you CANNOT go wrong with Aerospace 303 Protectant.....wipe it on...wipe it off.

Last edited by obxchartercaptain; 01-18-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:43 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I've tried a lot of products.....so far these are my favs.

Having once owned a small aircraft,I like to use Rejex on the front bumper and hood.These two areas seem to collect the most bug guts.Rejex seems to resist this better and removal is easier.

On the rest of the car,Including the glass I use Collinite.Slick,good shine and lasts a while.

After every wash,I like Megs Detailer to keep the slick & shine at it best.

\db2
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
DAC17 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 08:50 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Wash it good, clay bar it, prep it, and ceramic coat it. You'll be good for a few years vs a few months as you would be with wax.
There are now some good products on the market the consumer can buy, they're easy to apply, and show very promising results.
http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-apply...t-coating.html
Old 01-18-2017, 09:30 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

There are tons of products but the two most important issues are to learn how to use a clay bar or clay bar "sponge" and purchase some microfiber towels. If you live near Costco grab a pack of the yellow towels in their car section.
kitesurfer (01-19-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 09:52 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

If you are looking for simple, easy, and effective just go to your local auto parts and get the Mequairs line of products for the exterior, interior and tires.
Great product line for those who want a good looking finish without a lot of work or cost.
The following 2 users liked this post by dvilin:
beaversstonehaven (01-20-2017), kitesurfer (01-19-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 10:02 PM
Yaupon
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Do some research on the no rinse method. I was a little skeptical but it works great and absolutely doesn't scratch the car. Takes me about 20 minutes to wash the car. I use Optimum Wash and Wax but there are other brands.

Also use an Optimum no rinse product. No more getting out/putting back hoses...which was a big PITA! Also recommend you look into the 2 bucket wash method. Happy detailing!
Old 01-18-2017, 10:12 PM
C6Velocity
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been using Zaino products for years on all my Corvettes. Great stuff. Decided to try the same wax on my 2017 Z51 coupe that the use at the Corvette museum and for all museum deliveries. It is called C-Magic. Used it once and really liked the shine. Easy to put on and take off. I'll try it a few more times this year and see how it is, but so far I like It.
CZinGA (01-21-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 09:03 AM
dshamrick
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 147 Posts

Simple way to go.

I use Adams H2O Guard and Gloss after a wash and boy does that do something. It is THE BEST way ever to dry a car.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:40 AM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

For me, Meguiar's products purchased at Wal Mart for good prices does the trick. Car looks fabulous, and Meg's is easy to apply and polish.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:25 PM
ringo11
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
If you are looking for simple, easy, and effective just go to your local auto parts and get the Mequairs line of products for the exterior, interior and tires.
Great product line for those who want a good looking finish without a lot of work or cost.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:21 PM
buck fever
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

You should check out Adams Polishes like others on here have mentioned. For the paint I recommend either using the Americana or Patriot paste wax. It is a little pricey compared to Meguiars, but it lasts a very long time. Wax goes on very easy and removal is a breeze. Offers amazing depth, great shine with solid protection from the elements.

For the inside, check out their interior detail spray. For what it's worth, Adams customer service is top notch. Good luck with your choice.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:51 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Griot's Garage Car Wash and Speed Shine is great stuff. Meguiar's NXT wax goes on and off very easy.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:05 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

I was skeptical at first, but have been using the Turtle wax Ice Line-up for about 3 or 4 years now on my C6 and just started the C7 on the program. For a major detail, I use the Ice car wash, then I use Griots claybar with ice detailer as the lube. Then I do two coats of Ice Shine Lock sealant about 4 hours apart. The next day, I use the Ice paste wax on the paint and chrome wheels.

Between details I use the detailer daily (when driven), wash weekly, and mostly use the spray wax after air drying. Sometimes I use the liquid wax for a quick application/removal. I get my microfiber towels from Costco. Use once and throw away. It's all fairly cheap, all easily accessible, and the product does layer on nicely. Not for everyone, but works great for me.

https://www.turtlewax.com/products/ice

Last edited by berk4422; 01-19-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:20 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by dshamrick
Simple way to go.

I use Adams H2O Guard and Gloss after a wash and boy does that do something. It is THE BEST way ever to dry a car.
I've used that as well, and it gives a good shine and a thick feeling of coating. It's not optically very pure, IMO; it seems a little "milky" when looking at it on a dark car. Given that, I still have some and would not hesitate to use it if I am in a hurry when washing, and want something to shine and protect with no muss or fuss in a jiffy!

And it makes the garage smell like grape bubble gum.

Get notified of new replies

To Best bang for buck car wash/wax products?

Quick Reply: Best bang for buck car wash/wax products?