Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for the first time scrubs purchaser/user

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Bossdog
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Advice for the first time scrubs purchaser/user

I have decided to start my 2017 HPDE season with a 18x10.5 square set up on scrubs. I am an intermediate level driver, not likely to leave this classification with only 2 or 3 weekends each year. I have participated in about 25 HPDE track days, none in my recently acquired Z06. The Z has Pfadt Featherlight coilovers, stock sway bars and improved breathing for the engine, in and out. I'm not a 10/10ths driver trying to take a half second off my time, I rarely even time myself.
Good audible feedback for the tire would be a plus

any Recommendations on type/brand of tire I should be looking for and good sources to purchase from.

thanks

Last edited by Bossdog; 01-18-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:05 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

If you need audible feedback from the tires, you need to stick with a 100 tread wear or above. Think NT01s or R888s. Even those will not "sing" very loudly to you as you start the slip angle like a street tire, but will get louder the more they slip.

The softer r-comps (A7/R7s) will not "talk" to you until they start "growling" very late in their slip angle.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:49 AM
Bossdog
Racer

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
If you need audible feedback from the tires, you need to stick with a 100 tread wear or above. Think NT01s or R888s. Even those will not "sing" very loudly to you as you start the slip angle like a street tire, but will get louder the more they slip.

The softer r-comps (A7/R7s) will not "talk" to you until they start "growling" very late in their slip angle.
Thanks for the input.
Transitioning to Race tires is just another step in my learning curve.
Perhaps I'll start out with a set of 295/30/18 Proxes to learn more about the C5Z06 before going to Race tires. Like most, I'm not very patient and want to jump right to the final set up. A set of street tires will last me 2 seasons at a minimum, being I only do 2 or 3 weekends per summer.
That puts race tiers into the 2020 season. Ugh. Is that year really even possible. I thought we were supposed to have flying cars by then.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:41 PM
ponycar
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I drive in advanced or instructor groups. I get 16 to 20 days on track a season. I have driven slicks in another car. I have toyed with using scrubs so that I would have a better chance of keeping up with "the cool kids". I would not try them in an intermediate group. Too little feedback at the limit for learning the car and track. My number 1 mentor says that unless you have personally seen what used tires have been through, not to trust them at 140 mph.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Bossdog
Racer

Originally Posted by ponycar
I drive in advanced or instructor groups. I get 16 to 20 days on track a season. I have driven slicks in another car. I have toyed with using scrubs so that I would have a better chance of keeping up with "the cool kids". I would not try them in an intermediate group. Too little feedback at the limit for learning the car and track. My number 1 mentor says that unless you have personally seen what used tires have been through, not to trust them at 140 mph.
Seems like sound advice. I will likely just pony up for a set of NT01's and be done with it. It seems they are a bit more consistent towards life's end than the Proxies.

It's hard to get my head around 315's in the front for the square set up

Last edited by Bossdog; 01-18-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:26 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you'll like the 315 square setup. I've had good luck with Conti and Pirelli scrubs.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:22 AM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

If you buy scrub slicks, carefully inspect them before mounting for any tread damage. which edge is worn more? What is your camber setting?
Will you wear the inside or outside faster?

Some rubber build up is common on scrubs.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:14 AM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Avoid old scrubs. Tires that are 2,3,4 years old seem to be more prone to having a belt brake. I've seen it happen twice recently. I had a brand new A6 tire that was 4.5 years old that broke a belt after 5 heat cycles.

If the date code is more than 12 months old, I'd pass.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:31 PM
RJ-19
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I can really only comment on the model I have been using - Toyo R888. I run on the stock C5Z rims front and rear so I can't comment on the square set up but that seems to receive overall positive feedback from those that do.

The R888 have done a fine job for me. I also do 4-6 track days a year and they have lasted me several seasons. The fronts were purchased new and they still have plenty of life. The rears were purchased as scrubs from GT Racing Tires. They also did a great job and wore evenly throughout their life. Finally started to see cords on one of the rears at my last track day so time for a new pair, but I intend to buy the same thing again either scrub or new depending on what I can find.

Besides the long life I got out of them, there is also good noise feedback from the tires which is helpful for drivers that are trying to learn the limits of the tires, limits of the car and limits of the driver's nerves.

Ryan J
Old 01-24-2017, 07:43 PM
Bossdog
Racer

I've noticed that when looking at Slicks/scrubs, the tires size 275/35/18 recommends a 10 to 10.5" rim. Street tire, NT01 for example, the 275/35/18 recommends 9" to 11" rim. this size typically run on the stock C5Z front 9.5" rim.

The Continental 305/680/18 recommends a 12" rim. Even the 285/645/18 recommend 11" rims. With NT01 315/30/18 can be run on 10.5" stock rim.

Do Slicks need a wider rim that their street tire counterpart?

What size Hankook or Continental Slciks/Scrubs should I be looking for to run and (4) stock C5Z rear rims 18x10.5
Old 01-24-2017, 09:09 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossdog
I've noticed that when looking at Slicks/scrubs, the tires size 275/35/18 recommends a 10 to 10.5" rim. Street tire, NT01 for example, the 275/35/18 recommends 9" to 11" rim. this size typically run on the stock C5Z front 9.5" rim.

The Continental 305/680/18 recommends a 12" rim. Even the 285/645/18 recommend 11" rims. With NT01 315/30/18 can be run on 10.5" stock rim.

Do Slicks need a wider rim that their street tire counterpart?

What size Hankook or Continental Slciks/Scrubs should I be looking for to run and (4) stock C5Z rear rims 18x10.5
Slicks not only require a "wider" rim, but much more negative camber. The increased lateral Gee force wil also lead to increaseed wwear of your ball joints, brakes, hubs, and other consumables.
HOWEVER, your scrub selection should include only a couple of criteria:
1) CHEAP! as your money can be utilized on seat time
2) Ensure the tire is safe! GT racing tires will send you a new one if there is any safety problem with your tire.....bought from them

Last edited by 63Corvette; 01-25-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:40 AM
Bossdog
Racer

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Slicks not only require a "wider" rim, but much more negative camber. The increased lateral Gee force wil also lead to increaseed wwear of your ball joints, brakes, hubs, and other consumables.
HOWEVER, your scrub selection should include only a couple of criteria:
1) CHEAP! ao your money can be utilized on seat time
2) Ensure the tire is safe! GT racing tires will send youu a new one if there is any safety problem with your tire.....bought from them
More ware n' tare than running 315/30 NT01's up front?
Old 01-25-2017, 08:48 AM
IndyMikeC6
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Scrubs

I can share some of my experiences running scrubs - I'm not expert just a weekend track guy. I'm not a racer - those guys have a lot more experience than me. I can also endorse GT Tires (Greg 414-640-7218) as I have purchased both Pirelli and Continental tires from them for the last 3 years. I had one issue with a flat spot that they replaced with no issue. I prefer the Pirellis tires. The camber recommendations are valid - I run about -2.5 degress of camber in the front and -1 in the rear.

I run the 18x10.5 wheels but my car is a narrow body C6 (not a Z). I run a 285/18 square set given the clearance on the front of my car. I would think your Z could take larger rubber requiring wider rims. Greg can certainly advise you.

I understand your desire to go up the learning curve - that was my rationale - but these tires won't talk to you. There are more considerations. I assume you have a trailer and will run scubs only on the track. You also need to have some spares if something goes wrong with a tire while on track. You may cord one of them - you don't want the weekend to be over, right? I run the TMPS sensors in all the tires with a reset tool when I rotate or switch tires.

You also need to consider when the rubber is less grippy even though you have plenty of tread left. At that point they're done and need replaced. They are also more sensitive to ambient temps. I live in Indiana and some of the early runs can be in the 40s. They are super slippery until they come up to temperature.

These are just a few things to consider. Good luck with your decision.

Mike
Old 01-25-2017, 09:25 AM
Bossdog
Racer

Originally Posted by IndyMikeC6
I can share some of my experiences running scrubs - I'm not expert just a weekend track guy. I'm not a racer - those guys have a lot more experience than me. I can also endorse GT Tires (Greg 414-640-7218) as I have purchased both Pirelli and Continental tires from them for the last 3 years. I had one issue with a flat spot that they replaced with no issue. I prefer the Pirellis tires. The camber recommendations are valid - I run about -2.5 degress of camber in the front and -1 in the rear.

I run the 18x10.5 wheels but my car is a narrow body C6 (not a Z). I run a 285/18 square set given the clearance on the front of my car. I would think your Z could take larger rubber requiring wider rims. Greg can certainly advise you.

I understand your desire to go up the learning curve - that was my rationale - but these tires won't talk to you. There are more considerations. I assume you have a trailer and will run scubs only on the track. You also need to have some spares if something goes wrong with a tire while on track. You may cord one of them - you don't want the weekend to be over, right? I run the TMPS sensors in all the tires with a reset tool when I rotate or switch tires.

You also need to consider when the rubber is less grippy even though you have plenty of tread left. At that point they're done and need replaced. They are also more sensitive to ambient temps. I live in Indiana and some of the early runs can be in the 40s. They are super slippery until they come up to temperature.

These are just a few things to consider. Good luck with your decision.

Mike
Mike, thanks for your input. Everyone's input has been helpful, it's a great forum all around. I flip flop back and forth on this. But, I know the best decision will be to start with NT01's. it's my first season with a corvette and tire feed back will be very important for my learning the car. From my research it sounds like the NT01's don't commonly heat cycle out and are pretty consistent to the cords. I can drive to the track this year and trailer the tires next year, allowing me to put off the trailer and hitch 1 year. I've already had lots of surprises with this car, I'm expecting a few more to pop up once I get her on the track ( if not before )

Last edited by Bossdog; 01-25-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice for the first time scrubs purchaser/user

Quick Reply: Advice for the first time scrubs purchaser/user