Sponsored by:

Double Din Bezel with or without Ashtray

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 02:34 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Double Din Bezel with or without Ashtray

Looking for feedback from those that have installed a double din and opted to lose the ashtray and go with a flat front. I was chatting with Dennis as this was my original plan. He highlighted some challenges that I had not understood. I wanted to get some feedback from the community.

I am particularly interested in hearing from those that went the no ashtray route. I understand that the bezel is created with aesthetics in mind so the opening for the HVAC unit is moved down causing a rework of that mounting. Was this difficult? Would you do it again? What did you use the former ashtray space for? Do you regret it?

For those that went the ashtray route, why and do you think you might have been happier without?

Any pics of no ashtray bezels would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2017, 03:52 PM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

Originally I moved the HVAC controller down to the location of the ash tray and installed my remote display for my radar detector and new clock just below the DD setup. Lately I've decided to move the HVAC back up to the original location and move the other displays down and add a USB charger. No pictures yet, still under construction. I haven't run into any problems either.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:04 PM
99mike
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

I got the ashtray delete and don't regret it at all. I measured 7/16 inch down I believe and drilled 2 more holes in the radio cage and remounted the HVAC. Not 100% positive on the 7/16 but just measure before you drill. Turned out ok.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:37 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

No regrets doing the double din without the ash tray. Cleaner look.
The following users liked this post:
malcking1 (11-08-2020)
Old 01-18-2017, 06:26 PM
alcoed
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts
Default to delete or not to delete??

Very happy with the Dennis's delete option. Looks not as crowded and gave me room to place the sirius and navigation electronic components.
Attached Images    
Old 01-18-2017, 07:10 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Not sure I really get the benefit of the ash tray delete. I like having the small bit of storage for coins/small stuff, and like having the second cigarette lighter for charging a second device if needed.

Don't get me wrong, it looks great without it, but it also looks great with it, so I'm not sure I really see the benefit of the delete unless you're adding gauges or something down there.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:19 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Not sure I really get the benefit of the ash tray delete. I like having the small bit of storage for coins/small stuff, and like having the second cigarette lighter for charging a second device if needed.

Don't get me wrong, it looks great without it, but it also looks great with it, so I'm not sure I really see the benefit of the delete unless you're adding gauges or something down there.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:25 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

I put the seat heater controls for my evo 9 Recaros where the lighter was and made a cover for the ashtray hole and put my exhaust cut out switch and my AL Laser Jammer control module there.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 01-18-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:16 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by StrangelovesM6Vert
I put the seat heater controls for my evo 9 Recaros where the lighter was and made a cover for the ashtray hole and put my exhaust cut out switch and my AL Laser Jammer control module there.

Thats exactly what I like, I mean obviously you're getting much better use out of that area than the stock ash tray, yet you can still flip down the cover and hide all the busy looking switches and retain the factory clean look. If you had the ash tray delete you wouldn't be able to cover it, which while it isn't a huge deal I think that it looks way cleaner with the cover down.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:45 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Dennis also made my bezel to accommodate my 8" Alpine system. A very small sacrifice of the ashtray to make it work. No regrets here.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:00 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy
Dennis also made my bezel to accommodate my 8" Alpine system. A very small sacrifice of the ashtray to make it work. No regrets here.

Another very valid reason for the ash tray delete. That thing is epic!
The following users liked this post:
c5vetteguy (01-18-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 12:51 AM
RIPPENIT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Here is mine

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1&d=1484805011
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2017, 02:45 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I like having the ashtray for its usefulness, coins, elec outlet, etc. I thought it looks too plain without it.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:20 AM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I needed the ashtray for NX switch.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:28 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Maybe not the best picture, but you can see the changes to the bezel. Had the three gauge pods placed across the top, then the double din head unit and moved the HVAC down to where the ash tray was. Used the cup holder to mount the control switch for the N02 system. No real regrets in losing the ash tray. The head unit has a USB port that I can use also to charge phone, etc.

Last edited by alxltd1; 01-19-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:54 AM
unlvrebel
Pro

Thanks to those that have replied. This is really good stuff and the pics look great! Seems the opinions are fairly evenly split. Your mileage may vary. If you want to cover the switches and look a little more OEM (even though you have a big monitor on the console that wasn't... ), go with the ashtray.

With respect to switches and plugs, I intend to use the flat front to mount USB and seat heater rocker switches.

Originally Posted by ZO6 cracker

No regrets doing the double din without the ash tray. Cleaner look.
Z06 cracker, your HVAC front looks really deep black. How do you get it this way? Mine is a bit more grayish...

Originally Posted by alcoed
Very happy with the Dennis's delete option. Looks not as crowded and gave me room to place the sirius and navigation electronic components.
Love the idea of having the extra space for wiring...

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin

Understand your point of view. But for me, coins and little things live in the cup holder that I don't use for cups...

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy

I agree, that is EPIC!

Absolutely gorgeous! I've been leaning towards the painted look...

Originally Posted by ssrallyred
I needed the ashtray for NX switch.

ssrallyred, I see a button for OPENER in the cluster. Is that for the garage door? If so, is there a write up on how you did that? That seems like a great mod!
Old 01-19-2017, 11:09 AM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by unlvrebel
Thanks to those that have replied. This is really good stuff and the pics look great! Seems the opinions are fairly evenly split. Your mileage may vary. If you want to cover the switches and look a little more OEM (even though you have a big monitor on the console that wasn't... ), go with the ashtray.

With respect to switches and plugs, I intend to use the flat front to mount USB and seat heater rocker switches.

Z06 cracker, your HVAC front looks really deep black. How do you get it this way? Mine is a bit more grayish...

Love the idea of having the extra space for wiring...

Understand your point of view. But for me, coins and little things live in the cup holder that I don't use for cups...

I agree, that is EPIC!

Absolutely gorgeous! I've been leaning towards the painted look...

ssrallyred, I see a button for OPENER in the cluster. Is that for the garage door? If so, is there a write up on how you did that? That seems like a great mod!

I have to say I chuckled lol. No sir its for remotely opening the nitrous bottles. But since I don't use it because my bottles are here :

That would be a cool project

Get notified of new replies

To Double Din Bezel with or without Ashtray

Old 01-19-2017, 12:06 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Originally Posted by ssrallyred
I have to say I chuckled lol. No sir its for remotely opening the nitrous bottles. But since I don't use it because my bottles are here :

That would be a cool project
Haha. Dumbass me...

But... This is my starting point for the garage door opener...

http://lifehacker.com/build-a-garage...car-1579716791

Elegance in simplicity.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:49 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

DAMN Those Double Din / Ashtray Delete Bezel's look GREAT !

Last edited by SG Lou; 01-19-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:54 PM
JEH03Vette
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

My ashtray delete allowed the addition of switches for the seat heaters and a relocated 12v accessory port.

Quick Reply: Double Din Bezel with or without Ashtray