C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a used SC worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:41 AM
black2010gs
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Is a used SC worth it?

Is it worth it to buy a used SC, let's say 5 years old with 5-10k on it, to save a couple grand? Would any parts need to be replaced for wear and tear? Interested in doing a local swap currently on another vehicle but not sure if it's worth it to save a couple grand.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:58 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Way too broad of a question.

It can be if the deal is correct. Depends on blower and wear and tear on complete system. If you are talking just the blower, and it is for example a vortech, it is only $595 to recondition it to like new shape. So if you save "thousands", even if you spend $600 for a refresh then yes it is worth it.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:16 AM
black2010gs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Unreal
Way too broad of a question.

It can be if the deal is correct. Depends on blower and wear and tear on complete system. If you are talking just the blower, and it is for example a vortech, it is only $595 to recondition it to like new shape. So if you save "thousands", even if you spend $600 for a refresh then yes it is worth it.
It's the complete ecs system, so the system would be taken off his car and put on mine. What would be included in a recondition?

Last edited by black2010gs; 01-19-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:39 AM
GS_DAN
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by black2010gs
It's the complete ecs system, so the system would be taken off his car and put on mine. What would be included in a recondition?
I've been down that road and if i were to do it again i'd buy a new kit from one of the vendors. No matter how "complete" the kit is you will still have to purchase missing parts. Also you don't know how the previous blower was treated or how high it was spun. Also if something does fail/missing on a used kit, ECS or A&A isn't going to replace it when they'd most likely warranty it on a new kit.

My opinion would be to just get a new kit if possible.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:04 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I would buy new unless it was a big saving on a not very used unit. I bought a 1 year old kit, with almost no mileage on it for half what it cost new. Couldn't refuse that deal . LOL
Old 01-19-2017, 12:52 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Just too broad of a question. I sold my A&A kit with everything, including new zip ties/etc for $3500 with <1000 miles on it.

If it is a complete system, you still need to get the consumables, and take into account wear/tear on the system. Idlers, tensioners, belt, air filter, etc all wear. So unless it was complete and about 1/2 off, I would just do new.

Now if you had a chance to inspect it, and double check, and truely knew the condition, then maybe.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:59 PM
nenji01
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought used kit minus fuel stuff for 3800 don't regret it
Old 01-19-2017, 03:37 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

It's a crap shoot. It's worth it if nothing goes wrong. If something does go wrong, then you'll be kicking yourself for not buying new. But there's no way to tell beforehand. How well do you know the owner/car/SC and how much are you saving?
Old 01-21-2017, 04:13 PM
black2010gs
Instructor

Originally Posted by 5knives
It's a crap shoot. It's worth it if nothing goes wrong. If something does go wrong, then you'll be kicking yourself for not buying new. But there's no way to tell beforehand. How well do you know the owner/car/SC and how much are you saving?
Don't know the owner at all but have the chance to inspect it beforehand as it's still on his vehicle. I am familiar with the shop that installed it and they do good work. Price is about half off, claims it only has 5k on it
Old 01-22-2017, 06:55 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

If you have the time to send the SC to be reconditions, and take the time to change the bearings out on the idlers, then would be worth some savings if it was a complete kit.

If your taking about them pulling the kit from the car, and installing it on yours, then what type of warranty is going to come with it. Is there going to be any warranty on the parts, the labor for the install, or is this an out the door and don't expect any help if something fails instead?

Hence no reason to save a few, only to have it take out a motor that is going to cost you $10K to replace instead.

Hell, even with a low mileage TVS-2300, would still send it in to have the bearing replaced, even through the bearing are supposed to be good for 100K miles instead.

Lastly, get an idea of the entire kit, and if it comes with a Meth kit as well.

Last edited by Dano523; 01-22-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:58 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

To me, and I admit I don't know anything about a used kit, the third para of Dano's post above is the key. "...only to have it take out a motor that is going to cost you $10K to replace instead."

Even a new kit can go wrong and take out the engine but....a used one? without reconditioning which still may not be the end-all? Gotta think about that one a bit....
Old 01-23-2017, 03:06 PM
unstressed
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been toying with adding a SC too, and used seems like a good opportunity to save some $$$. In reality a new vs used isn't going to net any more/less overall power, so that's a plus. I agree with the guy that recommended having the supercharger looked at/rebuilt, that's a small charge to pay for piece of mind.

You didn't say if you were going to do the install or have a shop do it. If you're skilled enough to do an install, you should be able to spin an idler and see if the bearing seem good or not. The rest is piping and misc stuff you can visually inspect.

If you're going to have a shop do the install, I'd ask them to inspect everything first before you take the car apart, and replace anything questionable.

So if you get it half price, then replace a few things, figure $1K in stuff, you're probably still saving a few K off a new system. You end up with the power and save a few grand. Also, if you ever sell it, you lose less money, so there's savings there too.

In any case, it's the tune after the install that will determine your longevity, a bad tune could ruin the engine over time, but a good tune should give you close to stock engine life. Very rarely do superchargers fail and push debris through the motor.

Some people like brand new, and I get that, but part of being a gear head is making stuff work.

Think I just talked myself into getting a used system!

Last edited by unstressed; 01-23-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:41 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

It is no different than buying a used car. Only you can answer if that is worth it to you.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:57 PM
black2010gs
Instructor

Some very good points. I'm struggling with the choice of a blower vs cam, but both have their pros and cons. I can't justify the cost of a new blower which is why I was looking at a used kit which would save me a few k, but the uncertainty and longevity will always be on the back of my mind. Will the blower crap out? Will my bottom end be able to take it? Cam seems more reliable especially on the bottom end, and is significantly cheaper, but my concern would be trying to sell it down the road as Modded cars affect resale. Decisions decisions!

Last edited by black2010gs; 01-23-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:00 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Pros and cons both ways.
Cams have their own set of issues Biggest thing to me for a cam is the huge hit to gas mileage and drivability. To me that makes a blower worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To Is a used SC worth it?

Quick Reply: Is a used SC worth it?