Sponsored by:

G3 carbon install advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 12:33 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 505 Likes on 292 Posts

Default G3 carbon install advise

I finally received mine and I am very aware of the drama going on so I was happy to just receive them. I cannot comment on the fit but cosmetically they are beautiful. I think I am going to do the tape install on the skirts. I was happy to get them even though they did not contain the rivets or the 3m tape as promised. I bought some tape and tape prep sponges from amazon. I do have a pop riveter if I opt to rivet what sizes rivets to buy? the holes look fairly large so washer under the rivet? I don't think the z 51 convertibles have the cooler line on the drivers side. But if so how deep to drill to get the rivet in? On the splitter there is some secondary holes to install rivets I think any body tape that section? As I was inspecting the car I noted that the under tray was missing several bolts at the back edge. I suspect that when I had an oil change the service guy unbolted these looking for the drain plug before going to the back for the dry sump and never rebolted them idiot. Some else to check after dealer oil changes.

Last edited by dashotgun; 01-19-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:35 PM
9t6t7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Skirt Install

http://netwelding.com/Side_Skirts.pdf
Old 01-19-2017, 07:32 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

There are two holes on the front unused from the factory so don't worry about that.

i used rivits vs the tape both on front and side skirts. Tried the tape on the side skirts and it just did not feel secure and once I added the rivits it was much more secure.

there is a rear hole that was not pre drilled from G3 on the side skirts I had to drill my self.

On on the skirts I did not drill the fron rivits since I did not want to tie in the front fender.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:26 PM
2kvetmy
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Not sure about hole alignment on G3,but, on my C7 skirts, I used the 5 existing screws on the underside to hold the skirt on. Then, I only drilled 3 holes for rivets in the lower body panel. The skirts seem very secure with 3 rivets and 5 factory screws.
I did buy BLACK rivets off of Ebay. Got about 50 of them for $6.

I did not drill the front end for my cheapo GM splitter. Just used the existing screws.

I have driven speeds of 130 with no problems.
The following users liked this post:
joeybsyc (01-24-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 09:13 AM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

through some research I found out the rivets are 3/16 and you use a number 11 drill. I have the tape and some tape prep stuff. i think I am going to see how it fits before riveting or taping. For the spoiler I think the front bolts and a strip of tape. other suggestions were scrivets instead of the metal rivets.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Koan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I used the rivets and am very happy with how secure it feels. I've used tape before and for these pieces, I prefer the rivets.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:10 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Not sure on G3 side skirts, but on my G7 side skirts I used the existing skew holes and 3m tape with non rivets. 2 years now with no issue what so ever and have had the car over 150mph. Skirts feel as solid as the day I installed them.
The following users liked this post:
joeybsyc (01-24-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 01:51 PM
viperz0677
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dashotgun
I finally received mine and I am very aware of the drama going on so I was happy to just receive them. I cannot comment on the fit but cosmetically they are beautiful. I think I am going to do the tape install on the skirts. I was happy to get them even though they did not contain the rivets or the 3m tape as promised. I bought some tape and tape prep sponges from amazon. I do have a pop riveter if I opt to rivet what sizes rivets to buy? the holes look fairly large so washer under the rivet? I don't think the z 51 convertibles have the cooler line on the drivers side. But if so how deep to drill to get the rivet in? On the splitter there is some secondary holes to install rivets I think any body tape that section? As I was inspecting the car I noted that the under tray was missing several bolts at the back edge. I suspect that when I had an oil change the service guy unbolted these looking for the drain plug before going to the back for the dry sump and never rebolted them idiot. Some else to check after dealer oil changes.

don't expect any mfg support, the owner is never available and always out of town
Old 01-22-2017, 04:20 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Actually I found him fairly responsive to me and I started getting very frustrated when several deadline passed. Mine were done and they screwed around about shipping I told him if they were not shipped in few days would do a charge back. Low and behold they shipped admittedly without the op rivets instructions and the 3m tape. I am probably not using the pop rivets instead I am using christmas tree pins and tape in case the skirts get busted or for I sell the car. The front splitter is on was easy to install looks great and fits perfectly.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:42 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

update installed today with the 3m tape worked great on the passenger side on the drivers side never adhered. I redid it with the tape on the skirt instead of the car first. Adhered but was not as tight as the passenger side. I ended up using scrivets( christmas tree type. They are a bigger hole then pop rivets but if the the skirt ever gets FUBR then it is easier to remove the scrivets. Finish of the skirts is great. The fit was fine. As mentioned elsewhere the skirt does not reach flush with the front wheel opening. I cheated a bit on the back end by about an 1/8 of an inch and the front is 1/4 short. All in all it looks good I fight against my OCD . The car looks good no rattles. I will take some pictures tomorrow
Old 01-24-2017, 08:20 AM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

update installed today with the 3m tape worked great on the passenger side on the drivers side never adhered. I redid it with the tape on the skirt instead of the car first. Adhered but was not as tight as the passenger side. I ended up using scrivets( christmas tree type. They are a bigger hole then pop rivets but if the the skirt ever gets FUBR then it is easier to remove the scrivets. Finish of the skirts is great. The fit was fine. As mentioned elsewhere the skirt does not reach flush with the front wheel opening. I cheated a bit on the back end by about an 1/8 of an inch and the front is 1/4 short. All in all it looks good I fight against my OCD . The car looks good no rattles. I will take some pictures tomorrow
I believe there is a cooling line on Z51s. I installed G3 side skirts, front splitter. Mine did come with rivets. I used existing factory holes and several rivets. Side skirts were the correct length, tight fit, good quality.

G3 is experiencing difficulties, no question. But, I am willing to give them a chance.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:08 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Old 01-24-2017, 09:26 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by chefcg1
Not sure on G3 side skirts, but on my G7 side skirts I used the existing skew holes and 3m tape with non rivets. 2 years now with no issue what so ever and have had the car over 150mph. Skirts feel as solid as the day I installed them.
Same here on my install with 3m tape holes with screw's in at both ends.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:27 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Man car looks great. Robert

Get notified of new replies

To G3 carbon install advise

Quick Reply: G3 carbon install advise