C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Printed circuit board

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:59 PM
Bill Jones
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Printed circuit board

I have a 1977 corvette that has the original printed circuit board. All the gauges worked fine before taking the old one out. I ordered a new one from Ecklers and when I put it in all the gauges worked except for the temp gauge. It read 260 which I'm assuming is a ground issue. I put the old one back in and all gauges worked fine. I took the old one out and put the new one in and temp gauge is reading 260 again . Ecklers is sending me a new circuit board which will be arriving tomorrow. Any suggestions why temp gauge is reading 260. Thanks
Old 01-19-2017, 10:46 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

strange that it only happens on the new board. are you able to post a photo of it?
Old 01-20-2017, 12:59 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

if all the gauges work fine with the old board, why are you trying to change it?
Old 01-20-2017, 02:00 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
if all the gauges work fine with the old board, why are you trying to change it?
could be the same as why I changed both of mine. I could see tracks were starting to lift and in places were almost about to short. Figured I'd just replace them before the problems start.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:24 PM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I replaced my cluster housing and other various parts a few winters ago, like yours all my gauges worked fine. When I reinstalled everything I had one gauge inop(don't remember which one now). On mine what had happened was where the circuit board meets with the plug one of the tabs wasn't making contact. I repositioned the plug and re-connected it and all was cured.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:29 AM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Danh77 is spot on with what happened to mine with my instrument gauge cluster. the new, stiffer flexible connection ribbons need to be seated exactly correct. However, with my speedo/tach' sprinted circuit board that you should look for. One of the back-lighting bulbs wouldn't work. Upon close inspection I finally noticed that one of the socket contacts didn't make contact with the new board after twisting in the bulb socket. The board manufacturing quality process had drifted slightly somewhere and so there was no copper on the board where one of the bulb contacts contacted the board. I should have sent the defective board back for exchange, but fabricated something (small piece of metal) to so slightly extend the contact. I'm used to having to tweak Chinese made stuff to make it work. So, keep an eye on that while you have the patient on the table
Old 01-21-2017, 12:43 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Bill Jones
I have a 1977 corvette that has the original printed circuit board. All the gauges worked fine before taking the old one out. I ordered a new one from Ecklers and when I put it in all the gauges worked except for the temp gauge. It read 260 which I'm assuming is a ground issue. I put the old one back in and all gauges worked fine. I took the old one out and put the new one in and temp gauge is reading 260 again . Ecklers is sending me a new circuit board which will be arriving tomorrow. Any suggestions why temp gauge is reading 260. Thanks
A 260 reading says there is a grounding out issue... in most cases the ohms wire is grounded to cause this.

I'd check the connections at the gauge and I'd check the connections where the pcb and he connector hook up. Our pcb's are pretty pliable and I've not had any issue with customers installing them and having a problem.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:28 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

I suspect that the new PC sheet is slightly misaligned at the harness connection. Make sure you're not twisting the sheet when you lightly tighten the retainers.

I don't know if Ecklers sells the same PC sheets as Willcox but I was utterly pleased with the one I got from Willcox and it's one of the very few repro parts that seems (to me) superior to the original.

Last edited by SwampeastMike; 01-21-2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: wrong company name!

Get notified of new replies

To Printed circuit board

Quick Reply: Printed circuit board