C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight - Silly me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:44 PM
Chuck Little
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Headlight - Silly me!

I had a bump on my pride and joy a while back and need a new headlight assembly for my baby. I stuck my nose where it didn't belong and now my wonderful Victory Red ride sits, while the Chevrolet body shop says the headlight is on national backorder.

Can this be true? Have I owned this car for four plus years and never realized that parts can be that hard to come by???

They called me today to tell me it is scheduled to be "built", the end of February. REALLY???

I am just surprised is all. I miss my baby!

Many would think that I am saving storage fees being that I live in mid-Michigan, but usually I drive it every day. I am a driver, not a garage queen lover. Not making any judgement calls here.

Do I just not get it? Or is this just a bit unusual???
Old 01-19-2017, 11:00 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Hmmm...so you are parked until March, huh? Wow. I did a quick spin on ebay and saw that there are several complete sets for around $1000 for the two, and many more left or right side for between $350 and $550, all reported to be complete working units. No doubt they will have some hazing, or maybe a few scratches. Don't know what side or color you needed, but I bet there is one available. You could have bought a usable headlight to keep your car on the road while waiting for the new one. After you got the new one, you could sell the old one for what you paid.

There are probably folks on this forum that could have hooked you up with a working headlight, too.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:02 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

They are hard to come by, you can try posting on parts, I can tell you there have been no victory red headlights on there for some time. There is a thread on a start up company that is going to make them but they need so many investors before they start. Th re are threads about them in every c6 category..
Old 01-20-2017, 04:26 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

There are options for you if you don't want to wait for a headlight from GM.
Buy a used light with a good lens, any color will do.
Cut the good lens off, get the bezel painted the color that you need, and reglue the lens back on.
It's easier than you think to do, 10 minutes to cut the lens off.
I have full instruction with pics if interested. PM me.

I did both mine when I changed from Yellow to Black. I ran with the reglued lenses for one running season before replacing the lens wity new ones. They stodd the test of time, no leaks, etc.In the pic you can see where the cut lens was reglued. It can't be seen with the headlight is in place.
I sent you a PM

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 01-20-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Chuck Little
Racer

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I did a quick spin on ebay and saw that there are several complete sets for around........... You could have bought a usable headlight to keep your car on the road while waiting for the new one. After you got the new one, you could sell the old one for what you paid.
Thanks! I thought the same thing. I was stunned that there isn't more available. Somehow in my mind I pictured many resources around the country and evidently there isn't, and I am wrong.

I would have been very agreeable to such a scenario as long as I didn't have to be too involved in any "hands on" changing, etc of the parts. Overall, I don't think it would have been that costly out-of-pocket. I'm not much of a hands on person at my age, and living in a condo doesn't make it conducive to driveway swaps, repairs, etc.

I have had time to become OK with letting the professionals put my baby back together. I was afraid my insurance company would want to total the car and I would have to decide if I were going to have to make the lifestyle changes involved in maybe not driving a Corvette anymore. Physically I am at that point that I am unsure how much longer I will be able to be able get in and out, using it as a daily driver, etc. because of my age and the aches and pains. I haven't aged well, if you KWIM.

I have stopped by and visited my car, nestled deep in the back of the body shop and it only makes me want to slide behind the wheel and push the start button again, and feel that comfort of the wheel.

I have to stay away!!!

My hurt baby, waiting for the ambulance to take it away.

I guess another month will make it all worth while.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:02 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'd be looking at salvaged parts if it were my car!
Old 01-20-2017, 09:31 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

I have a set of Lemans Blue from an '05. PM me if you're in need.

Last edited by MH663; 01-20-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:46 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Little
I guess another month will make it all worth while.
Most northerners store our Corvettes during the nasty months, Chuck.
While a PITA waiting if it had to happen, couldn't have happened at a better time.

Imagine this delay during our glorious Springs when everyone piles out for a first cruise & you're sitting there. Actually, a Blessing.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:55 AM
mrk1957
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I have been down the same road. GM has a real problem with these headlights. I've read other manufactures do too, as far as the lenses and price of the assemblies. To bad the Corvette assemblies are color specific, maybe they'd be more readily available. Mines Victory Red too, but I had the buckets painted black when I did my lens replacement.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:13 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Have you tried e-bay, I bought set from them.

Last edited by 1bdvet; 01-20-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:29 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Take a look here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ight-lens.html

Won't help right this minute but maybe by the time I get my lens in. I have several VR bezels laying around just no lens at the moment.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:36 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Pathetic that GM won't stand behind their product considering some C6's are not even five years old.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by RLSebring
Take a look here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ight-lens.html

Won't help right this minute but maybe by the time I get my lens in. I have several VR bezels laying around just no lens at the moment.
I'd be willing to do a core charge type of thing for a set of VR lights. Mine look horrible.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:50 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I'd be willing to do a core charge type of thing for a set of VR lights. Mine look horrible.
I usually try to do the core as long as I have lights and or bezels available at the time.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Chuck Little
Racer

Thanks for all the good thoughts and suggestions.

Being between a rock and a .................parking space, with time slipping away to do this or that, and working with an insurance company, a dealership bump and paint shop, and knowing that there is always someone who is in the supply chain that doesn't care or doesn't think time is of the essence, I will have to be waiting for my new light bucket to show up and be installed. I may not like it now, but a month from now I'll probably be OK with it all.

I am normally the type of person who would be on the phone, overnight expressing, lets get it done today, or tomorrow morning type of guy. I am now realizing that there is another speed that some work at, and I am going to have to accept it.

The world moves on!
Old 01-20-2017, 05:12 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Now that we have all had a chance to view the damage, there was zero reason for you to start looking for a headlight...you have a lot of damage there. Your original post sounded like maybe you cracked a headlight lens, or something similar. Looks to me like you have about $4K in damage there (dealer prices).

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:40 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by Chuck Little
Thanks for all the good thoughts and suggestions.

Being between a rock and a .................parking space, with time slipping away to do this or that, and working with an insurance company, a dealership bump and paint shop, and knowing that there is always someone who is in the supply chain that doesn't care or doesn't think time is of the essence, I will have to be waiting for my new light bucket to show up and be installed. I may not like it now, but a month from now I'll probably be OK with it all.

I am normally the type of person who would be on the phone, overnight expressing, lets get it done today, or tomorrow morning type of guy. I am now realizing that there is another speed that some work at, and I am going to have to accept it.

The world moves on!
you may want to check with AES Auto Parts in Romulus, MI........ forum vendor here, also sells on Ebay............ may have one on hand????????

I know that there was a set of Victory Red on Ebay about a week ago too, you may be able to get the right side one there also?????

either way, good luck getting it back together and ready for the nicer weather to come to MI
Old 01-20-2017, 07:12 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

There's a set on this forum at a great price and looked to be in good shape. Dark cyber grey though. If it was 3 months ago I would've bought in a second. I think they'd look good on VR.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight - Silly me!

Quick Reply: Headlight - Silly me!