C7 owners needling replacement windshield, beware

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:59 PM
Blue Batman
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C7 OEM windshield supply, beware and help

Hello all,

Just a heads up. I had a crack in my windshield that happened in November. Brought car to body shop and they took it off while waiting for an OEM REPLACEMENT from GM.

Well, turns out that it is nearly impossible to find any current stock. I have had my c7 at the shop since mid November and it's been 2 months. Also I am being told that they won't be getting any in stock till first week of March. So I am at the mercy of stock on this simple fix.

So if you are in the market to get a replacement, please make sure they have stock so you aren't like me , having your beloved car sitting in a shop waiting for this part.

If anyone has any knowledge of any c7 oem windshields in stock somewhere please let me know

Last edited by Blue Batman; 01-19-2017 at 11:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LT4CMG (02-08-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 11:03 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Oh, that sucks,, to have your baby pulled apart and not able to be used due to no part available.

But the Head Up pun was welcome!
Old 01-19-2017, 11:07 PM
Blue Batman
Intermediate

^^^^ I think only corvette owners understand the pain I'm going through. Believe me when I say I have been going absolutely insane. Also considering my vette is my daily driver. I've even gone by the shop a few times just to see my baby, let her know daddy loves her. Lol.

If anyone knows a lead for oem replacement in stock somewhere please let me know.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-19-2017 at 11:17 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:19 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Why was the windshield taken out before a replacement was on scene? You can get another windshield too, it just won't say GM but meets specs.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:20 PM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

My OEM windshield was replaced a couple months ago and I had about a 3 week wait.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:23 PM
Blue Batman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wonka12_98
My OEM windshield was replaced a couple months ago and I had about a 3 week wait.
I could have lived with 3 weeks, but 2 months and still waiting is ridiculous. Where did you purchase windshield from?

To the other poster who asked...they took it off to do some other work in the same area. I guess they figured it wasn't going to take so long. Not to mention it's a very highly regarded shop that does a lot of vettes in the Bay Area. Also I have know 2 other people with c7 windshield replacements and both occasions the after market ones took on a weird yellow tinting after a year. Also, one of them had issues with brightness with heads up display.

Last edited by Blue Batman; 01-19-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:51 AM
Har-ray
Pro

Received 243 Likes on 141 Posts

PPG used to make good windshields years ago. I think GM even used them for a while. LOF was considered not quite as good. I'd replace with PPG rather than wait 2-3 months. That is a bunch of horse manure! If you don't like it' swap it out when OEM is available.

Last edited by Har-ray; 01-20-2017 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 01-20-2017, 06:48 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Sorry to hear all the problems. Thanks much for the post. It's supposed to be pretty nice here in MI this weekend, 50's and dry for the most part. I will probably re-think my plans for a couple drives Saturday/Sunday. It's bad enough to dodge all the pot-holes and winter cracks in the concrete roads without having to worry about a pop-up rock putting you out of business for weeks/months!! Thanks for the "heads-up"
Old 01-20-2017, 07:07 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

The factory that produces these windshields is about 20 min from my house. The supply issues have been going on for quite some time. There have also been issues getting them to dealers not broken or damaged. BOOZMAN (a friend of mine) went through 7 to get a good one at his dealer and he's in Atlanta, GA but I'm certain they are going through a GM parts warehouse first. One of my good friends is a MGR in the plant where these are made and says they send trucks back and forth to BG every 4 hours or so to keep up with production. If and when the plant goes through shutdown, it will give suppliers like this a chance to catch up. This plant does the windshields and the back windows..... with the side glass being done outside BG in Kentucky.

Last edited by 1FUNC5; 01-20-2017 at 07:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Shadeux (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 07:45 AM
Former USMC
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Batman
Hello all,

Just a heads up. I had a crack in my windshield that happened in November. Brought car to body shop and they took it off while waiting for an OEM REPLACEMENT from GM.

Well, turns out that it is nearly impossible to find any current stock. I have had my c7 at the shop since mid November and it's been 2 months. Also I am being told that they won't be getting any in stock till first week of March. So I am at the mercy of stock on this simple fix.

So if you are in the market to get a replacement, please make sure they have stock so you aren't like me , having your beloved car sitting in a shop waiting for this part.

If anyone has any knowledge of any c7 oem windshields in stock somewhere please let me know
Wow...I got mine within a week. Replaced it a couple of weeks ago. Had a crack in the upper left side and dealer said they would replace it ASAP...a week later...new windshield installed.

On another note, I was unpleasantly surprised how much abuse and road rash windshields pick up in less than 10 months or 9000 miles. And no, I don't tailgate.

Semper Fi
Old 02-08-2017, 02:04 AM
silfox
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Windshield

Originally Posted by Blue Batman
Hello all,

I'm in the same boat as you Blue Batman. Got nailed by a huge rock in the lower right corner and it has spread all the way to the top of the windshield. I had an appointment yesterday to have it replaced, but knowing I had insisted on an OEM replacement, the shop called to let me know C7 windshields are on national backorder. They couldn't give me any idea on how long it will take them to get a w/s
Bob
59 245 hp & 16 LBR Z06 ragtop
waving in San Diego

Get notified of new replies

To C7 owners needling replacement windshield, beware

Quick Reply: C7 owners needling replacement windshield, beware