C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rough idle, shuts off with light throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 04:55 PM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rough idle, shuts off with light throttle.

Hey guys, I hope I could get some help with doing some pin pointing.

I have a 94 LT1 I just bought, mechanical apprentice trying to do some at home learning.

Started the car(second time since I bought it):

1. I get immediate ROUGH idle.

2. I have new AC Delco Plugs and Wires on there way.

3. Car stays idling rough, barely touch the throttle it dies.

4. Prev owner said car sat for awhile, I put fuel in it. Prev Owner did fuel relay, pump and injectors. There could be bad fuel still in the system?

5. Tested the battery with the car off, held 12 volts and would slowly go 11.9, 10.8. Turned the car on to accessories, 12 volts but the meter acted erratic. 12.0 volts, 8.0 volts, -0L. Tested the meter on an AC outlet to rule out bad meter and the meter is working as intended.

I found out about the wire short trick with the obd port.
The codes I get are C53, H53, H44, H62.

The two times I drove it the car drove on the road fine just had a rough idle, today it won't even let me give it throttle.

First crank it wouldn't fire, second crank was immediate.

Could a bad battery be causing this?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Powerstroked89; 01-20-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:19 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Check the fuel pressure and check your battery with a load test and test your alternator.
The following users liked this post:
Pushrodv8 (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 06:34 PM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Check the fuel pressure and check your battery with a load test and test your alternator.
will do, car won't crank currently(turning the key does nothing), voltage at the battery on run is 1.2 volts. I brought the car home, sat overnight, drove next day. Sat over night and today is when it started, and died on throttle.

I am thinking the battery is the issue, I was planning on taking it to Walmart and having them testing it and grabbing a new battery.

I will try the next two after the battery.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Lt4-396
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Start with the basics, fuel pressure at idle.
When the car is running are you getting at least 13 volts? If so the alternator is fine.
Pull the cat into a garage or outside at night with no lights. Unplug the wire from the coil check the spark (should be nice and white and jump a half inch) from the coil to the wire. If it's good check spark from wires to plug or check the resistance from one end of the wire to the other end.

Report back
Old 01-20-2017, 06:39 PM
Lt4-396
Racer

Originally Posted by Pushrodv8
will do, car won't crank currently(turning the key does nothing), voltage at the battery on run is 1.2 volts. I brought the car home, sat overnight, drove next day. Sat over night and today is when it started, and died on throttle.

I am thinking the battery is the issue, I was planning on taking it to Walmart and having them testing it and grabbing a new battery.

I will try the next two after the battery.

If you have good voltage when running the battery has nothing to do with your problem.
You can start a car and remove the battery and it will fine just run, until you shut it off and try to restart obviously.

Also when a code reads C that means it's a Current problem when it reads H that means it's stored in the History so those H codes I wouldn't worry about right now

Last edited by Lt4-396; 01-20-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Pushrodv8 (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lt4-396
Start with the basics, fuel pressure at idle.
When the car is running are you getting at least 13 volts? If so the alternator is fine.
Pull the cat into a garage or outside at night with no lights. Unplug the wire from the coil check the spark (should be nice and white and jump a half inch) from the coil to the wire. If it's good check spark from wires to plug or check the resistance from one end of the wire to the other end.

Report back
If you have good voltage when running the battery has nothing to do with your problem.
You can start a car and remove the battery and it will fine just run, until you shut it off and try to restart obviously.
Car currently will not start after the last time it died when trying to apply throttle

Measured voltage with car off, and it never held a constant 12v(12, then 11 volts, then 10 volts, then the meter ended up at -0L). On accessories it was the same.

When I went to start the car(before finding it wouldn't even crank) the battery ready 1 volt after.

Should I battery tend it over night, start it in the morning and see if Its hold at least 13v while running? That way I can rule out alternator then I can test fuel pressure(once I pick up the gauge)

I am still very new to all of this so I apologize if I misread your post.

Last edited by Powerstroked89; 01-20-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:59 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Measured voltage with car off, and it never held a constant 12v(12, then 11 volts, then 10 volts, then the meter ended up at -0L).
You need a new battery.
Pushrodv8 (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 07:09 PM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
You need a new battery.
Yeah my thinking is, I drove it and it sat overnight. Next day started right up and drove it and then parked it.

A bad alternator would have shown itself, no? The only thing I did yesterday was replace the switch in the door that shuts off the interior lights when the door is closed.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Lt4-396
Racer

Yeah my thinking is, I drove it and it sat overnight. Next day started right up and drove it and then parked it.

A bad alternator would have shown itself, no? The only thing I did yesterday was replace the switch in the door that shuts off the interior lights when the door is closed.

Do you have a set of jumper cables and another car you can jump it with?
From the readings you got it does sound like a bad battery, you may want to take the terminalsame off and check the battery itself, instead of checking the battery cables just to make sure between the battery and cable are good connections

I had a loose bolt that holds the cable to the battery and the car wouldn't start not even a solenoid click.
It was a bad connection that didn't allow enough amps to pass from the battery to the cables.

When you put the cables back on or on your new battery either use some conductive grease or a very thin layer or dielectric grease.
Pushrodv8 (01-21-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 11:08 PM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

I don't have my jumper cables as I misplaced them in the move. I checked the connections and set my tender on it. Voltage was 12.9 cranked car, it fired and died once it idles for 1-3 seconds.

Gonna grab a new battery in the morning..
Old 01-20-2017, 11:39 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Do you have a set of jumper cables and another car you can jump it with?
From the readings you got it does sound like a bad battery, you may want to take the terminalsame off and check the battery itself, instead of checking the battery cables just to make sure between the battery and cable are good connections

I had a loose bolt that holds the cable to the battery and the car wouldn't start not even a solenoid click.
It was a bad connection that didn't allow enough amps to pass from the battery to the cables.

When you put the cables back on or on your new battery either use some conductive grease or a very thin layer or dielectric grease.
Since dielectric is an insulator and you are trying to main good contact, you think this is the best suggestion?? I would use a product such as "Copperclad"
Pushrodv8 (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Lt4-396
Racer

Originally Posted by arbee
Since dielectric is an insulator and you are trying to main good contact, you think this is the best suggestion?? I would use a product such as "Copperclad"

After I reread it I realized how it sounded.
What I meant was use carbon conductive grease or a similar "conductive grease" between the cables and the battery terminal, If that is unavailable use dielectric grease or white lithium grease to coat the outside of the terminals once it is connected to the battery to keep moisture out and protect the connection.
Obviously the best option is the conductive grease
Pushrodv8 (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 05:57 PM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

So yeah... I am an idiot.

Being in a apprenticeship I work a lot, so my parents offered to take my cash and pick up the car and drop it off at my apartment.

What they didn't tell me was how much gas they didn't put in, just that they did get gas.

So my fault, assumed it was good. Plus the dimmer switch for the dash that brightens or dims it is bad so my screen is very very dim.

Get the battery tested, it tests good.

Then I call and ask, they said "oh we put $5 in it" So basically barely 2 gallons.

Added new fuel cranked a couple seconds she lives. And I am moron.

However there is some bad news, one of the bolts on the intake manifold had liquid, not much. I wiped it off earlier in the week. And today when I drive it, it's damp again.

A intake manifold gasket and orings aren't too bad on the LT1's are they?

Last edited by Powerstroked89; 01-21-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:29 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

A air leak will mess you up try snugging them up first. DO NOT disconnect your battery or jump it dead you have enough to deal with with out burning more up.
Dielectric grease is NOT conductive it is more like pipe dope to keep it from leaking.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 01-21-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:36 PM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

A air leak will mess you up try snugging them up first. DO NOT disconnect your battery or jump it dead you have enough to deal with with out burning more up.
Dielectric grease is NOT conductive it is more like pipe dope to keep it from leaking.
There was not a voltage issue, the car was just empty. I couldn't see my screen due to the dimmer being messed up.

Why is jumping going to burn stuff up? Disconnected just fine taking to get it load tested.

Last edited by Powerstroked89; 01-21-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:52 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

There was not a voltage issue, the car was just empty. I couldn't see my screen due to the dimmer being messed up.

Why is disconnecting the battery or jumping it going to burn stuff up?
It is very sensitive to voltage do not do it. Plan on a full day to do your plugs and wires. Do not just start yanking. One at a time and pay attention to the looms. You will need to move the power steering pump forwad to get through the hell hole. Many tricks to this and if you PM me I will help. If this is your first time your in for a treat and will learn a few new words.

Get notified of new replies

To Rough idle, shuts off with light throttle.

Quick Reply: Rough idle, shuts off with light throttle.