Sponsored by:

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:43 AM
tigertank
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is this?

If you look on the back the white line was cut going Through the kick panel down by the driver's door in the driver side doesn't look like it went anywhere as there is not a following white wire going anywhere to the back now the car won't start
Old 01-21-2017, 12:25 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

That relay and the crimp connectors are not stock to the car...someone did that to it so I guess start tracing where the wires go what did they do as we have no clue what the person did that modded it
Old 01-21-2017, 12:28 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Looks like some sort of bubba fix for the courtesy lights. Not exactly sure what it's doing, but it won't be what's stopping your baby from starting.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:36 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

It certainly COULD be what's keeping your car from starting.

Looks like someone possibly added a starter cut relay for a security.

Look closely at the relay- the wire connected to "30" and the connected to "87."
Take those two wires and connect them together- what that will do is bypass the relay.

And if it was installed to "kill" the starter- problem is solved.

Richard
Old 01-21-2017, 12:53 PM
tigertank
Burning Brakes

ok thx yes I was doing some wire clean up and it had some aftermarket 80s alarm on it...not to mention a linear amp wired to stereo in center console...no cb not looks like any was evr installed????? lol go figure
Old 01-21-2017, 01:14 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

Those relays are used for starters, fuel pumps and air conditioning but I don't think on C3's. Does the engine turn over with the starter but not start (fuel pump on later C3's) or does it not turn over at all? I'm no electrical wizard but does the metal mounting tab also act as a ground and it is not connected?
Old 01-21-2017, 01:27 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
Those relays are used for starters, fuel pumps and air conditioning but I don't think on C3's. Does the engine turn over with the starter but not start (fuel pump on later C3's) or does it not turn over at all? I'm no electrical wizard but does the metal mounting tab also act as a ground and it is not connected?
No...on these style relays the mounting tab doesn't ground it but sometimes if mounted to metal ground people run the relays ground wire to it...I am guessing I have well over 100 that style relay
Old 01-21-2017, 02:02 PM
tigertank
Burning Brakes

Thanks I stuck those two wires together and it started right up now I just gotta figure out where the other two wires go and if it's safe to take them off and disconnect them from wherever they go I hate missing with wires especially when people have gone in and mess with factory wiring
Old 01-21-2017, 02:48 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by tigertank
Thanks I stuck those two wires together and it started right up now I just gotta figure out where the other two wires go and if it's safe to take them off and disconnect them from wherever they go I hate missing with wires especially when people have gone in and mess with factory wiring
The alarm used the relay as switch to kill the ignition it's not needed as you see when you jumped the two wires and the car starts...the other two wires on the relay go or did go to likely a ground for one and alarm brain hot or vice versa depending if it was switched hot or switched ground signal from alarm brain
Old 01-21-2017, 09:42 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by tigertank
Good deal!!!

Just an educated guess- those wires looked to be from a "Code-Alarm" ( or dealer branded "Chapman") security system.

The relay was switched +12v from the brain- so if you've removed that should be OK. If not - just wrap them w/ electrical tape till you get the chance to trace them back and completely remove them.

Richard

Get notified of new replies

To What is this?

Quick Reply: What is this?