C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 Fuelie with Vintage Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 10:31 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 575 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default 63 Fuelie with Vintage Air

A few weeks ago we had threads here on Vintage Air as well as serpentine belts. I thought I'd post some pics my 63 fuelie with its new Vintage Air combined with their Fronrunner package. Very compact, also has a puller fan and the belt driven one.

The following 3 users liked this post by Vettrocious:
Big Hit (01-22-2017), Loren Smith (01-22-2017), Zircon (01-23-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 10:49 PM
sshort67
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice, the hard work was worth it. Very nice
Old 01-22-2017, 05:07 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Yes, that is very nice!
Old 01-22-2017, 09:23 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

The front runner system makes all the difference in the world. It takes away a lot of that add on look.
Nice job. Enjoy the ride now that you can have the choice of top down or A/C on.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:39 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks guys. Couldn't get the fuelie air cleaner on without going to the Front Runner, as the alternator was hanging off of the drivers side of the engine. It just looks so much cleaner now, doesn't detract from the look of the fuelie engine. Had to change the crank pulley of the Front Runner to a smaller diameter, to clear the frame.

This is a pic of the whole car, (missing the spinners on the wheels)

Last edited by Vettrocious; 01-22-2017 at 06:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Loren Smith (01-23-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 07:49 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Very nice work! Dennis
Old 01-22-2017, 10:25 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow, great clean car. Looks great. Luxury.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:03 AM
TexVette66
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

is that a new style ac comp.?
Old 01-23-2017, 05:35 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TexVette66
is that a new style ac comp.?
It's different from the one that came with the Vintage Air system, but it was supplied with the Front Runner by the Vintage Air people. I'm sure that if you order them together (I didn't), you'll get the one currently on the car.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:15 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

They filled in the holes for the "FUEL INJECTION" bars during paint, I'm thinking of maybe putting on the older script. What does everybody think...

(Remember, this car is not remotely stock, Tremek, steeroids rack & pinion, Vintage Air, Front Runner, Detroit Speed headlight motors, Tanks Inc. fuel tanks/ internal pump, disc brakes, Silver interior, and a bunch of other stuff...

Old 01-23-2017, 11:25 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
They filled in the holes for the "FUEL INJECTION" bars during paint, I'm thinking of maybe putting on the older script. What does everybody think...

(Remember, this car is not remotely stock, Tremek, steeroids rack & pinion, Vintage Air, Front Runner, Detroit Speed headlight motors, Tanks Inc. fuel tanks/ internal pump, disc brakes, Silver interior, and a bunch of other stuff...

Those are great mods you have, but they are all stealth. A modified script would not fit your theme, it make it look like a hybrid. I would go with the stock 63 FI emblems.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:26 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
Those are great mods you have, but they are all stealth. A modified script would not fit your theme, it make it look like a hybrid. I would go with the stock 63 FI emblems.
although there is nothing that irritates me more than seeing an open hood with a TPI injection unit and traditional FI badges... in your case, the 'traditional' 63 emblems work as that is the correct style of injection for the car...

I remember, once upon a time, locally seeing a 57 chevy driving down the road that had the traditional 57 chevy FI script on the fenders. I hunted for that car for a long time as I have/had never seen a FI'd 57 chevy... when I finally found it, I was disappointed; just some 'run-of-the-mill' TPI unit....

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 01-24-2017 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:10 AM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wmf62
although there is nothing that irritates me more than seeing an open hood with a TPI injection unit and traditional FI badges... in your case, the 'traditional' 63 emblems work as that is the correct style of injection for the car...

I remember, once upon a time, locally seeing a 57 chevy driving down the road that had the traditional 57 chevy FI script on the fenders. I hunted for that car for a long time as I have/had never seen a FI'd 57 chevy... when I finally found it, I was disappointed; just some 'run-of-the-mill' TPI unit....

Bill
Thanks Bill, actually, I'm going to monitor the car for a while to see how the original Rochester FI operates in the temperature environment created by all my mods. If it performs well, I'll leave it alone. Since the fuel lines are now at the rear passenger side of the engine bay, away from the exhaust, I expect the fuel to stay cooler. We'll see..

If fuel heating becomes a problem, I've prepared it to put on my altered Rochester plenum with FAST port EFI. The car has a bung in the exhaust, a electric fuel pump in the tank, a fuel return line and, a pressure regulator, so the EFI should be an "easy" change.

I guess, even then, it'll still a Rochester, in some respects, so I'll put the 63 badges back on...

Mike

Last edited by Vettrocious; 01-24-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:22 AM
Loren Smith
Drifting

The car has a bung in the exhaust, a electric fuel pump in the tank, a fuel return line and, a pressure regulator, so the EFI should be an "easy" change.
I presume you would need to change your pump in the tank to a high flow model?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:11 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Thanks Bill, actually, I'm going to monitor the car for a while to see how the original Rochester FI operates in the temperature environment created by all my mods. If it performs well, I'll leave it alone. Since the fuel lines are now at the rear passenger side of the engine bay, away from the exhaust, I expect the fuel to stay cooler. We'll see..

If fuel heating becomes a problem, I've prepared it to put on my altered Rochester plenum with FAST port EFI. The car has a bung in the exhaust, a electric fuel pump in the tank, a fuel return line and, a pressure regulator, so the EFI should be an "easy" change.

I guess, even then, it'll still a Rochester, in some respects, so I'll put the 63 badges back on...

Mike
yep, that's the way I see it (and have done it.....)

Bill
Attached Images   
Old 01-24-2017, 09:51 AM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I presume you would need to change your pump in the tank to a high flow model?
The pump will stay the same, I'll just have to change the spring in the bypass regulator to the high pressure spring that came with it. The spring that is in it now allows up to about twenty PSI, today it's set to about 9 PSI for the mechanical Rochester. The other spring will kick the pressure up to the EFI level.

Mike

Last edited by Vettrocious; 01-24-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Loren Smith (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 07:42 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Are you using the Aeromotive Universal Bypass Regulator No. 13301? Tanks, Inc., Rock Valley or Aeromotive Stealth Fuel System for the tank? Does having the return line and in tank pump keep your fuel cool enough to run pump gas?

Get notified of new replies

To 63 Fuelie with Vintage Air

Old 01-24-2017, 10:45 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Are you using the Aeromotive Universal Bypass Regulator No. 13301? Tanks, Inc., Rock Valley or Aeromotive Stealth Fuel System for the tank? Does having the return line and in tank pump keep your fuel cool enough to run pump gas?
The regulator is Aeromotive 13301, the tank is Tanks, Inc. TM33A-T, with a GPA series in-tank pump (GPA is an Aeromotive pump, I believe). Here's the tank, with sending unit attached and the pump just sitting in it...

The car has not been driven yet, just run. I don't think fuel temperature will be an issue. The jury is still out on fuel temperature inside the Rochester unit, but the unit should run fine if the underhood temp doesn't get too high due to the A/C. I don't think the return line will help the Rochester stay cool, but maybe the new line routing (away from the exhaust manifold) will. I never run E10 pump gas in my fuelies, so fuel problems don't occur too often. Usually I run 90 octane non-ethanol gas, with a gallon (or more) of 110 racing gas per tank to raise the octane a bit.

If and when I switch to EFI I'm going to monitor the fuel temp in the tank...I have no idea what it will be, but I can add a fuel cooler if necessary...

Mike

Last edited by Vettrocious; 01-24-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Loren Smith (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 01:14 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

[QUOTE=Vettrocious;1593943551

The car has not been driven yet, just run. I don't think fuel temperature will be an issue. The jury is still out on fuel temperature inside the Rochester unit, but the unit should run fine if the underhood temp doesn't get too high due to the A/C. I don't think the return line will help the Rochester stay cool, but maybe the new line routing (away from the exhaust manifold) will. I never run E10 pump gas in my fuelies, so fuel problems don't occur too often. Usually I run 90 octane non-ethanol gas, with a gallon (or more) of 110 racing gas per tank to raise the octane a bit.

If and when I switch to EFI I'm going to monitor the fuel temp in the tank...I have no idea what it will be, but I can add a fuel cooler if necessary...

Mike[/QUOTE]

the problem with the Rochester perc has less (if in fact, nada...) to do with temps in the tank than the radiated heat affecting the spider from the engine itself. In fact, the C2 units are less susceptible to perc than the C1 units because the C2 spider has a constant flow return from the spider hub to the Rochester fuel pump whereas the C1 unit is deadheaded to the nozzles.

Bill
Old 01-25-2017, 06:04 AM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wmf62
the problem with the Rochester perc has less (if in fact, nada...) to do with temps in the tank than the radiated heat affecting the spider from the engine itself. In fact, the C2 units are less susceptible to perc than the C1 units because the C2 spider has a constant flow return from the spider hub to the Rochester fuel pump whereas the C1 unit is deadheaded to the nozzles.

Bill
I agree, Bill. Radiant heat to the spider is a big issue, but not the sole one. This car, before I re-did it, is the one whose fuel lines I insulated from under the battery to the fuel inlet. After insulation, the fuel inlet temp was 30 degrees cooler and that made a big difference. It also helped on starts to put insulation between the spider and the base plate, reducing the radiant heat on the spider. It actually ran great, even on trips, when I had no choice but to use E10. Now I've gone a step further and moved the fuel line away from the exhaust manifold, gotten rid of the engine-mounted fuel pump, and taken the fuel filter off of the manifold.

I don't think that feeding warm fuel back to the tank from the regulator hurts much, but it doesn't do anything for the fuel injection. As I'm sure you know, any vapor created in the hot fuel lines is dissipated when the fuel pours into the fuel bowl. The gear pump inlets only fuel, so if there is any vaporized fuel, in the spider, it was vaporized somewhere after the gear pump. As the spider lines are so fine, and made of the best heat transfer metal, with only low pressure fuel inside, they easily form bubbles of fuel vapor. So, keeping the fuel as cool as possible when it enters those lines is important, while trying to keep the lines themselves from absorbing to much radiant heat is essential.

My feeling is, keeping the engine compartment temp down is part of the whole issue, I don't how big a part, I guess I'll find out when I turn on the A/C for the first time and go for a ride on an 85 degree day. I'm hoping it's not a big deal, as I'd like to keep the Rochester stock.

Quick Reply: 63 Fuelie with Vintage Air