C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Methods to Sell a C6

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:26 AM
shakinrock
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Best Methods to Sell a C6

Folks, it is almost time for me to put my 07' vert 3LT Z51 up for sale. But I'm not worried about what awaits me on the other side since I plan to purchase a C7.

Anyway, my question is, given the uniqueness of our vehicles what is the most effective way(s) to reach the target audience with my sales flyer? If it makes any difference I'm located about 1 hour north of Atlanta.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:02 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I'd have to imagine there are plenty of potential buyers on Atlanta Craigslist every day. I'd list there, this forum, and maybe eBay. Cars.com seems to be better for dealers than individual sellers.

Wherever you list, it needs to be priced correctly and have plenty of GOOD pictures. If you suck at taking pics, pay a kid to do it. Also, it's important to have a well written ad with all positives listed. Do not write paragraphs, list everything.

Last edited by 919cw313; 01-22-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Cars.com, autotrader.com

You could put craigslist but be ready to attract lots of "test drivers" and no potential buyers.

If you're willing to take a small loss, just trade the car in. And the deal can be done same day.

That way you don't have to deal with the test drives, and the nitpicking people do when they look at the car. Some car dealerships don't test drive the car, some do though.

Congrats on the upgrade! I'll see you on the other side.
The following users liked this post:
mikeypilot (01-24-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Robert Perkins
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Cars.com, autotrader.com

You could put craigslist but be ready to attract lots of "test drivers" and no potential buyers.

If you're willing to take a small loss, just trade the car in. And the deal can be done same day.

That way you don't have to deal with the test drives, and the nitpicking people do when they look at the car. Some car dealerships don't test drive the car, some do though.

Try this site https://www.cargurus.com/ I sold my C5 there and bought my C6 there also.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:40 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Listed mine all over. At end of the day... the forum is where it sold. To another member across the country who upgraded from another vette.

We didn't know each other frm "adam" but he sent me the check after we spoke numerous times on the phone and I posted a bunch of youtube videos of all aspects good and bad. He knew what he was getting. I got almost my asking price (about 10% less from original) which made us both happy.

picked it up a month later (I stored it at my father's house in his garage on battery tender) and drove all way to texas... then back home to California. Car performed flawlessly and we communicated the other day and he said the car was great.

btw, I sold it to him at 97.5k miles. Sent me pic at 100,000 lol

just make sure you follow that plan if sight unseen. Wait for their check to clear about 5 to 7 business days and then IMMEDIATELY overnight the title to the new owner (signed over). Also include a bill of sale that he/she signs outlining agreement in full and have the buyer mail back to you before sending the title.

email the bill of sale have them print it out sign it and send with check. Then you sign the agreement and send original back with title once clear. Keep copies of everything emails, docs etc.

took about a month to sell.

good luck.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:47 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Perkins
Try this site https://www.cargurus.com/ I sold my C5 there and bought my C6 there also.

Bought my '08 there

47k miles, stick, chrome wheels and CRM for $22.5k
Old 01-22-2017, 02:15 PM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

Put a FOR SALE sign on it!
Old 01-22-2017, 05:24 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULEB07
Don't park it at Home Depot with a For Sale sign on it or it will get towed.

They have posted signs on the lot, and even if you are there just buying some nails, they will have it towed. Happened to a guy a few months ago.

I bought mine off of Cargurus. The seller had it on there and Craig's List for about four months. There are many, many Corvettes for sale on the internet, and it was very difficult trying to decide which car to choose. It was only fate that I picked the particular one I purchased. The guy only had four pictures of the car, and his ad sucked. It kept coming up in my search for about three weeks. I only called him because I wanted more information then he posted in his ad. After sensing the sound of desperation in his voice, I went to look at it the next day. He was going to have to give it away at the dealer in three days because he couldn't afford to keep it. It worked out for both of us.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:29 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULEB07
Drive around town in it...someone will see it, tell a friend, sold. LOL (happened to me)
Old 01-22-2017, 06:14 PM
Nelson765
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought and sold 3 very different Corvettes in the last 3 years. I listed and shop in all the standard places. I had the best luck (both buying and selling) with Ebay followed closely by Craig List. Autotrader was the worst, no luck with anyone else.

Good luck.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:08 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313
I'd have to imagine there are plenty of potential buyers on Atlanta Craigslist every day. I'd list there, this forum, and maybe eBay. Cars.com seems to be better for dealers than individual sellers.

Wherever you list, it needs to be priced correctly and have plenty of GOOD pictures. If you suck at taking pics, pay a kid to do it. Also, it's important to have a well written ad with all positives listed. Do not write paragraphs, list everything.

From another thread:

This guy knows how to list:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...nvertible.html

This one knows how to write:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-blue-z06.html

And this is how you take pictures:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...age-1-z06.html
none of the links open, 919...I recall when you put them up, and they were good examples. One of them might have been mine. They appear to be gone now.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:12 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Cars.com, autotrader.com

What you say about test drivers is correct, but not what you say about sales. There are probably more cars, including Corvettes, sold nationwide on CL than any other single site, anywhere.

The key is knowing how to write the ad, take pics, and what to say to keep pretenders and scammers away.

As others have mentioned...cars.com, cargurus, and autotrader. In my view, forget about ebay.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:19 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=ByRiver;1593926340]Don't park it at Home Depot with a For Sale sign on it or it will get towed.

They have posted signs on the lot, and even if you are there just buying some nails, they will have it towed. Happened to a guy a few months ago.

"...happened to a guy..." hahaha. That is urban legend. If he was buying some nails, or even staying longer, NO TT is going to get there in that time and tow him away. Also, if he has a receipt for the purchase proving he was shopping, they will have to reimburse him all costs. Yes, they do not want you advertising your car. Almost every retail parking lot in the nation has the same policy. If they see a car with a sign parked out away from the store, they are going to make note of it, and check later. If still there, they can have it towed.

It is also an easy target for vandalism, so I agree that you should not do it.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:24 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
none of the links open, 919...I recall when you put them up, and they were good examples. One of them might have been mine. They appear to be gone now.
Weird, did it from my phone last night and they worked. Oh well.

Regardless, there are good ads here to use as examples that can be found if you look. And good ads make it easier for the seller and for potential buyers.

And regarding the Craigslist tire kickers post, just like anything else you need to feel out your buyers before you waste your time.

Last edited by 919cw313; 01-22-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:48 PM
seijack
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts

I have sold every car/truck that I have owned thru Autotrader.

I personally will not list anything on craigslist any more. In the past I have thrown what I was going to sell up on CL first to see if I would get lucky without paying for an ad. But you get waaayyyy to many scammers and tire kickers......In 30 years of buying and selling cars I have only traded in 1 truck. Because I could not sell it outright.. It was very nice 1990 Dodge Dakota, 4 cyc 5 spd no ac work truck.....

I have to laugh at the local chevy dealer where I have my car serviced, every few months they send me a "Very Aggressive Offer" in the mail... They want to give me 18K for my 2008 3LT Z51 A6 that has 11,000 miles...Really, who falls for that!!!!
Old 01-22-2017, 07:49 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

^I'll give you $19k today. Haha
Old 01-22-2017, 08:18 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'd use www.autotrader.com

Get notified of new replies

To Best Methods to Sell a C6

Old 01-22-2017, 08:21 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Cars.com, autotrader.com

The first two sites mentioned are the ones I would use, the ones I look at, and just about the only place I find cars I want to (and do) buy from.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:39 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

I have to laugh at the local chevy dealer where I have my car serviced, every few months they send me a "Very Aggressive Offer" in the mail... They want to give me 18K for my 2008 3LT Z51 A6 that has 11,000 miles...Really, who falls for that!!!![/QUOTE]

Heck, that's only about $10k less than you can get for it...what's the problem with that???

Lots of people who see the C7, or some other new vehicle, think they have to have it or they will die. So, they make the trade. I can't believe how many people still fall for the elevated trade in money with little or no discount from MSRP. Geez, dealers have only been doing that since 1950.

Just the other day a guy at the gym was bragging about how he got "X" $$ for his truck on trade-in for a new Camaro, which he then said he also got a "great" deal on because it was a 2016. I had to stifle my myself.

EVERY trade-in is a win for the dealer, otherwise, they would not do it.
The following users liked this post:
Smitsd (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 09:28 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2

What you say about test drivers is correct, but not what you say about sales. There are probably more cars, including Corvettes, sold nationwide on CL than any other single site, anywhere.

The key is knowing how to write the ad, take pics, and what to say to keep pretenders and scammers away.

As others have mentioned...cars.com, cargurus, and autotrader. In my view, forget about ebay.
Where is your source to make that claim?

And this is coming from someone whose side job is flipping cars on craigslist lol

Quick Reply: Best Methods to Sell a C6