C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Tire Monitoring System Message

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 09:23 PM
Vol95
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Service Tire Monitoring System Message

Hello Everyone

This afternoon, my 2004 couple, 87K miles, which is about 4 weeks new to me, provided a warning message "Service Tire Monitoring System". When I cycled through the menu, the DIC properly provided the standard information. Expect for tire pressure. It displayed XXX for all tires.

Two weeks ago I had all the tires replaced. At the same time, I replaced all 4 sensors since I did not know how old they were. The service provider for the tire installation stated that a Chevy dealership programed the new tire sensors.

Afterward the system provided the correct tire pressure information, until this afternoon. In all other respects the Vette seemed to operate normally.

My concern is that all 4 are not providing information. That may mean a centralized error.

Nevertheless, I investigated the situation, and found a Learn Procedure for the C5's. I will take that as soon as a I procure a large magnet on Monday. It is a cheap solution, so I thought a good place to start.

I welcome the counsel of others.

Thank you
Old 01-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Vol95
Advanced

I pulled the codes. Here is the list. While I am new to this, my guess is that H is for a historical code and C for a Current one.

60-IPC
B0516H
B0521H
U1160H

99 HVAC
B0361H
B0367H

AO LDCM
B2282H
B2286H
B2284H

AI RDCM
B2282H
B2287H
B2285H

BO RFA
C2100 HC
C2105HC
C2110HC
C2115HC

I presume it is stating a malfunction with each of the sensors. Again, I had all replaced when I purchased the new set of tires. The tire installation provider ( I bought the tires from Wire Rack) sent the Vette to a local Chevy dealer to program the new sensors.

I would welcome any counsel. Again, it made sense to me to do the Learn procedure. I have to purchase a magnent for that.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:43 PM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

I recently had a similar issue and it turned out that my battery was bad. As soon as I replaced the battery all the warnings disappeared and the tire pressure readings returned. You might have your battery tested.
The following users liked this post:
Vol95 (01-24-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 08:02 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

I hit reset on DIC and mine went away
The following users liked this post:
Vol95 (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 12:31 AM
Vol95
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Suggest that you clear all the codes that you have (unless you need to go through an emissions test immediately). Then drive the car a bit and pull the codes again. Codes that come back are the ones that need to be addressed. The 4 codes under B0-RFA are indicating that all 4 TPMS are not transmitting.............

Do you know what brand of TPMS were installed?? Most aftermarket TPMS CANNOT be programmed using a magnet. They require either a specialized too to reset them or to let air out of the tires until the horn beeps during the reprogram procedure.

I suspect that the TPMS that were installed were NOT properly programmed to the car and that is why you have all the codes under B0-RFA. Aftermarket TPMS can very often be a PIA to program to the C5. Many, many threads on the forum about that issue..........

I cleared the codes. I drove the Vette for a bit, but not very long. There are still no readings. The codes have not yet returned, I tested the battery, its fine.

It goes to a shop this week for a brake job. I will ask then if they can reset the sensors.

I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all of the responses.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Caveboy
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Instead of upgrading to the later year tpms kit, is there a reliable option to replace the 99 vette tpms. I have no use for the new remotes that comes with the upgrade kit since I have a after market alarm system.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:19 AM
Vol95
Advanced

Default Xxx

When you display the tire pressures in the DIC do they still show XXXX or do they show actual pressures?
Sorry, yes, the display output remains XXX on all 4 units
Old 01-24-2017, 10:32 PM
Vol95
Advanced

Default Another Update

Expect to see the RFA codes come back as you drive the car more. Since you only drove the car for a short time the number of successive failed transmissions of pressure info from each of the TPMS has not yet reached the level to cause the codes to set. If any of the TPMS had transmitted at least once successfully then one or more of the pressures displayed in the DIC would have had a number showing........ Again I believe the TPMS were never correctly trained to the car.
\

The brake service had equipment to try to do just that. It did not work, Their suggestion to me was that perhaps the train fix is dealer specific. I may just let this one ride for a bit. I have a one person vacation with the Vette through Florida next week. If I do dealer, I lose a day waiting to get the car back. I got things to buy and do before I head out.

I may try to do this on my own. Nothing to lose. The initial service provider offered to help, but I have to take the Vette to them. They would take it to the dealer. Frankly, I picked the Vette up last time I was a bit put off. The guy who drove it changed the seat to suit him, the radio station settings to suit him, so nope not that again. Its a little thing I know, but it hacks me off.

Again, thanks all for your help.

Now about doing a oil change on this low slung car -lol.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:03 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Runner
I recently had a similar issue and it turned out that my battery was bad. As soon as I replaced the battery all the warnings disappeared and the tire pressure readings returned. You might have your battery tested.
A fresh/strong battery gets rid of many C5 problems.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Vol95

AO LDCM
B2282H
B2286H
B2284H

AI RDCM
B2282H
B2287H
B2285H
These history codes for the door modules show there have been battery voltage level problems with those modules. They weren't current when you read the codes but they could have been caused by a low battery situation previously or an intermittent battery voltage or ground wiring issue. I would do a more thorough investigation of the battery connections checking for corrosion, loose terminals and bad ground connections at the frame. Both doors are showing the same voltage level issues had occurred so it is a problem that was common to both of them thus the emphasis on checking battery wiring and ground connections to the frame.

Bill
Old 01-27-2017, 12:59 AM
Vol95
Advanced

Default Follow UP

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
These history codes for the door modules show there have been battery voltage level problems with those modules. They weren't current when you read the codes but they could have been caused by a low battery situation previously or an intermittent battery voltage or ground wiring issue. I would do a more thorough investigation of the battery connections checking for corrosion, loose terminals and bad ground connections at the frame. Both doors are showing the same voltage level issues had occurred so it is a problem that was common to both of them thus the emphasis on checking battery wiring and ground connections to the frame.

Bill
Thanks to all for your help. Here is where things stand.

Some days ago, I cleared the codes. None have come back.

I did do a battery test, and it is fine.

The tire learning procedure did not work. I checked the pressure, and its good. There are no codes but I still get XXX all aroud.

I called the tire installer. They were no help, to all my questions, there response was "bring the car by". Problem is, I kinda get the feel they will find something that will cost me. I will deal that will I get back from my Florida vacation with the Vette.

I may have to take it to a dealer for help. I do know that is who programmed them last. It worked for a month, so I don't know what happended.

Again, thanks guy. I will see you in a weeks time. Florida, driving the Vette. Yep, a good time awaits.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:47 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

When you say the tire learning procedure did not work, do you mean you used the magnet at the valve stem and did not get the horn beep for each wheel? Means your LF TPMS is dead. Did you continue to the other wheels after not getting any joy from the LF wheel?
Old 01-29-2017, 11:18 PM
Vol95
Advanced

Default Update

He had the TPMS replaced with an as yet unidentified brand. There are many aftermarket TPMS that DO NOT use a magnet to train them so the LF TPMS may well be just fine but the mechanism for getting it to transmit a signal for training purposes is something other than a magnet... Some require proprietary electronic tools and others require letting air out of the tire to cause such transmission of signal. That is why messing with aftermarket TPMS on a C5 can be a major PIA to train.........
Yes, I tried the learning procedure using the magnet method. I went around all 4 tires with no response. I am out of town for this week. I did call the tire installer on this. When it was done, I was told that they did the install but Chevy dealer did the programming. Their claim was that the replacement units were all OEM. I would really rather take this up with the dealer mentioned and see what information that they have.

Initially, they worked. This error occurred a month after the install.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:04 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

If you got zero response from all 4 tires, perhaps the sensors you were given are the RF variety.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Tire Monitoring System Message

Quick Reply: Service Tire Monitoring System Message