C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] rear brake drum stuck on axle

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:39 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Default rear brake drum stuck on axle

How do I get the brake drum off? The brake is not on since I can rotate the wheel. I can tell it is stuck over the axle. This is on the rear passenger side.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:10 AM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

This could be one of two things.

First is the drum has rusted to the hub. A few sharp blows from a hammer should break the rust free and the drum should be able to be wiggled back and forth to remove. Use some spray oil or rust remover (Liquid wrench, PB Blaster, etc.) to help.

if you still can't, you need a very large puller with arms that reach around the drum.

Second is the drum has a ridge in the back from wear. The shoes are loose enough to allow the drum to turn but too tight to let it slide off. Back off the star wheel to loosen the shoes and then it should come off. two ways on most to get tot he star wheel. Some drums have a knock-out hole on the face of the drum and some have this on the backing plate. They don't knock out easy, and you need a rubber plug to fill the hole when done.

Last edited by Mark_Milner; 01-23-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:16 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I can see that is it stuck onto the axle. I can see it move on the axle studs. I have some pb blaster on it now.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:27 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

use a torch and heat around the center of the drum to expand the center hole that locates in on the axle
Old 01-23-2017, 12:46 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
use a torch and heat around the center of the drum to expand the center hole that locates in on the axle
My dad was a mechanic his whole life, and I've seen him do that many times. Then a large hammer on the sides to vibrate the rust loose.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:22 PM
54vetteguy
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts

I have had this problem a time or two on my 1931 Chevrolet....important as mentioned to make sure the brake shoes are completely loosened. A couple methods have worked for me.
1) leaving the wheel/tire attached to the hub, jack the rear end up, loosen the axle nut as far as you can while leaving it on, and then with a heavy hammer hit the tire from the back side and it should pop the hub off the axle. Careful of the rebound ha.
2) last resort was to leave the tire on again, loosen the hub nut again as much as you can without removing, and with the car lowered to the floor, use the weigh of the car - rocking it side to side to help slip the hub off the axle.
3) one seasoned mechanic recommended to me to loosen the axle nut a bit and take the car around the driveway making some turns-never had the guts to try this one though...
Good luck - the seasoned mechanics in the old Chevy club did not mind passing on the hints to a young pup...
John
Old 01-23-2017, 01:32 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
I can see that is it stuck onto the axle. I can see it move on the axle studs. I have some pb blaster on it now.
If you can see it "move on the studs", then it's NOT stuck on the hub. As someone said above, there is probably a "lip" on the inside edge of the drum and the brake shoes are too big to pass the lip. Adjust the shoes "in", and the drum will come off. If the studs move in & out with the drum, then it is rusted to the end of the axle, and penetrating oil and a BFH should do the trick. Let us know how you make out.

RON
Old 01-23-2017, 01:42 PM
cannonsid
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rongold
If you can see it "move on the studs", then it's NOT stuck on the hub. As someone said above, there is probably a "lip" on the inside edge of the drum and the brake shoes are too big to pass the lip. Adjust the shoes "in", and the drum will come off. If the studs move in & out with the drum, then it is rusted to the end of the axle, and penetrating oil and a BFH should do the trick. Let us know how you make out.

RON
I tried everything with no success
A little torch heat and it popped right off

Last edited by cannonsid; 01-23-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-23-2017, 01:47 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I've had to do this on a number of cars to get the drum off. Yes, the drum can be frozen to the axle flange and still show movement at the studs if you pry on it. You sometimes need some serious heat.

Just in case the shoes are hung on a lip on the inside of the drum but not stuck on the axle, you can work the drum over the shoes by walking a couple pry tools between the drum and backing plate. Once you get the shoe started over the lip, the shoes will retract a little and you can worke the drum off the shoes. Being careful not to bend the backing plate.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:11 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I have used a short 3 pound sledge for the past 35 years with good results. A couple of sharp smacks on the drum between the wheel studs will break it loose easily without damaging the drum or axle. Great tool for separating tie rod ends and center links, too!
Old 01-23-2017, 03:40 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
I've had to do this on a number of cars to get the drum off. Yes, the drum can be frozen to the axle flange and still show movement at the studs if you pry on it. You sometimes need some serious heat.
Yes... That's what I am dealing with. I will keep trying it and apply some heat.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:41 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I have used a short 3 pound sledge for the past 35 years with good results. A couple of sharp smacks on the drum between the wheel studs will break it loose easily without damaging the drum or axle. Great tool for separating tie rod ends and center links, too!
I will give it a try if heat does not do the trick.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:49 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Really, the only reason I want to take it off is because it rubs and I can hear it down the road. I know its the brakes since I can feel it rubbing on one area of the drum as I rotate it.

Also, I have three more drums sitting in the corner of the garage. I want to see if these do the same and check the brake pads after I did the work about five years ago. Only about 1500 miles when I first did the work.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:46 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Update... I was able to get the drum off. PB Blaster, leverage and some brute strength. It was just stuck on the axle. Anyways, I put another one on and it rubs worst.

I adjusted the adjusters and put the old drum back on.

Really, I just wanted to take the drum off to inspect the brake pads and drum.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:06 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Update... I was able to get the drum off. PB Blaster, leverage and some brute strength. It was just stuck on the axle. Anyways, I put another one on and it rubs worst.

Bill
Old 01-26-2017, 09:30 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Assuming that the axle flange area is rusty, then that rust will "cant" the drum, and any drum you put on will probably rub. Both the flange and the drum should be free of any material (rust, etc.) that causes the drum to not sit true to the flange.

Even with a brand new drum, putting it on a rusty flange will result in the same issue.

And I always mark the drum and a lug stud when removing a drum, and then replace it in the same position, since I want to keep the same alignment (of drum running free of rub that I made previously).

Also note that drum rub can be a sign of a bent axle, or a flange that is no longer "true". I have seen a few of these.......If the flange is not running true (within .002" TIR lateral runout), I have used thin shims (thin large washers) over the studs, between the flange and drum to achieve a true running drum.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 01-26-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:21 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Assuming that the axle flange area is rusty, then that rust will "cant" the drum, and any drum you put on will probably rub. Both the flange and the drum should be free of any material (rust, etc.) that causes the drum to not sit true to the flange.

Even with a brand new drum, putting it on a rusty flange will result in the same issue.

And I always mark the drum and a lug stud when removing a drum, and then replace it in the same position, since I want to keep the same alignment (of drum running free of rub that I made previously).

Also note that drum rub can be a sign of a bent axle, or a flange that is no longer "true". I have seen a few of these.......If the flange is not running true (within .002" TIR lateral runout), I have used thin shims (thin large washers) over the studs, between the flange and drum to achieve a true running drum.

Plasticman
No rust... All new parts and rebuilt about 7 years ago. I do not drive it in the rain.

Its not rubbing now. I think the adjusters just needed some tweaking. I never went back and adjusted the rear brakes after finishing the chassis rebuild.

Get notified of new replies

To rear brake drum stuck on axle

Old 01-26-2017, 01:37 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

put some never seize on the axle lip where the drum locates to prevent this from happening again
Old 01-26-2017, 01:48 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

put some never seize on the axle lip where the drum locates to prevent this from happening again

Never seize would not help. It was more the edge has been beaten up but abuse. I could grind down the flange ever so slightly to make it come off easier. Then again I could just leave it alone and take the car out for a spin. I more for the later... Things are fine for now, its not like I am going to replace the brakes anytime soon.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-26-2017, 01:54 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

dup

Last edited by jimh_1962; 01-26-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: [C1] rear brake drum stuck on axle