Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 HPDE lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:12 AM
Atl-10Z06
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C7 HPDE lessons learned

I recently purchased a new C7 Z06 after tracking my C6 Z06 for the past 7 years. I have run numerous searches but have not found a nice all in one thread of others lessons learned tracking the C7 Z06 at HPDEs.

Could you please share your tips for someone looking to run a C7 Z06 at tracks like Road Atlanta, AMP, and Barber?

I have already prepped myself to change the fluids and change alignment per owners manual for track days. I also will be installing seats and 6 point harnesses.

Thanks
Chris
The following users liked this post:
Rx7Rob (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 02:22 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

I've had mine at 3 events now. There isn't much that's unique to the car. Follow the GM guidelines for track prep. This is definitely posted on the site here as well.

As for nuances, there aren't many I can think of. You'll be one of the fastest cars on track and being a Z06 you inherently get a bullseye placed on you by other drivers. I don't think I've given any point bys in the past three events unless I was off pace for some specific reason (i.e. warming up when entering track after a session already started).

Tire pressures like to be around 30-32. Grip will fall off as they rise above 35psi.

Watch your fuel level. A 25 min session at a fast pace will burn a half tank.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:37 PM
Atl-10Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by spearfish25
I've had mine at 3 events now. There isn't much that's unique to the car. Follow the GM guidelines for track prep. This is definitely posted on the site here as well.

As for nuances, there aren't many I can think of. You'll be one of the fastest cars on track and being a Z06 you inherently get a bullseye placed on you by other drivers. I don't think I've given any point bys in the past three events unless I was off pace for some specific reason (i.e. warming up when entering track after a session already started).

Tire pressures like to be around 30-32. Grip will fall off as they rise above 35psi.

Great Tips on the air pressure and fuel consumption.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Atl-10Z06
Instructor

Any tips on brake compounds? I used to run Carbotech 12's and 10's on my C6Z06 with Hoosiers
Old 01-23-2017, 03:59 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

I used Carbotechs on another car and always had issues with vibrations after swapping back to street pads. I had to replace the rotors twice. I've been using Hawk DTC 70s in front and 60s in the rear with good results. This last event I had some modulation issues that I didn't experience before. We're thinking cold brakes or tires since the inexperienced drivers were killing the pace.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:53 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Atl-10Z06
I recently purchased a new C7 Z06 after tracking my C6 Z06 for the past 7 years. I have run numerous searches but have not found a nice all in one thread of others lessons learned tracking the C7 Z06 at HPDEs.

Could you please share your tips for someone looking to run a C7 Z06 at tracks like Road Atlanta, AMP, and Barber?

I have already prepped myself to change the fluids and change alignment per owners manual for track days. I also will be installing seats and 6 point harnesses.

Thanks
Chris
Chris, what tires will you be using? This car is a different animal and at minimum change fluid and if not a 17 add the 17 cooling ducts. Depending on tires I can suggest a Carbotech compound that works for your application.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 01-23-2017, 06:58 PM
Atl-10Z06
Instructor

Adam, looks like it will be Sport Cup 2's for the 1st couple events. It is a 2017.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:09 PM
Atl-10Z06
Instructor

I used Carbotechs on another car and always had issues with vibrations after swapping back to street pads. I had to replace the rotors twice. I've been using Hawk DTC 70s in front and 60s in the rear with good results. This last event I had some modulation issues that I didn't experience before. We're thinking cold brakes or tires since the inexperienced drivers were killing the pace.
Thanks again for the brake pad recommendation

Last edited by Atl-10Z06; 01-24-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:49 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Adam, looks like it will be Sport Cup 2's for the 1st couple events. It is a 2017.
I would run the XP20 front with the XP10 rear. This will allow you modulation while being some what rotor friendly VS the Hawk DTC. The Hawk will corrode your wheels and beat the hell out of your rotors. I also recommend going with the 1521 for street use that way you can just swap pads and go. All Carbotech compounds are compatible with each other. So, when going to the track just swap pads and go no re- bedding or anything or cleaning rotors. The XP20 will be fine to drive to and from the track with no issue.

How many track days you intend on doing?

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 01-23-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:53 PM
Atl-10Z06
Instructor

I tend to run 6 or 7 events a year
Old 01-23-2017, 07:54 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Front part # CT1405 Rear CT1718

The latest iteration of the highly successful XP™ series of compounds. XP20™ is a step up from the highly successful XP16™ compound. With an extremely aggressive initial bite, linear torque curve and excellent fade resistance the XP20™ is another major step in progression of the highly successful XP™ series line of compounds from Carbotech™. XP20™ has a temperature range of 275°F to 2000°F+ (135°C to 1093°C+). Carbotech™ XP20™ maintains our tradition of having the outstanding release and modulation that has made all other Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP20™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:40 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

This thread has some info on what has worked for me. I absolutely love this car but the consumable costs are very high.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-numbers.html
Old 01-24-2017, 08:01 AM
Atl-10Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
This thread has some info on what has worked for me. I absolutely love this car but the consumable costs are very high.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-numbers.html
Thank you
Old 01-24-2017, 10:29 AM
Atl-10Z06
Instructor

Does anyone make slicks for the factory Z06 wheels?
Old 01-24-2017, 03:43 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Does anyone make slicks for the factory Z06 wheels?
Not that I've ever heard of.

Btw, with the MPSC2's, start around 25/26 cold. Personally I like the tyre a great deal for HPDE's, as I also drive to the tracks instead of trailer the car.

Make sure you go to a shop that can set the rear caster. This is critical to handling.

Also, check the threads regarding the DSC stock controller. Everyone so far is amazed at the profound changes. I'm getting one myself soon.

Since you have the Z07 with the CCMs, please read the threads regarding non-OEM brake pads and rotor 'life'. I have always used the OEM pads with mine, and I'm very happy with the results, although granted the tracks I've been to with the car aren't extremely hard on the brakes.

Bish
Old 01-24-2017, 04:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Any tips on brake compounds? I used to run Carbotech 12's and 10's on my C6Z06 with Hoosiers
If you have the carbon rotors I recommend sticking with the stock pads. I can't say for sure but I suspect using aftermarket pads not designed for carbon rotors will increase rotor wear. Pagid and Endless make some racing compounds for ceramic rotors but the prices will make your eyes pop. I used XP10 pads on the front of my carbon brake car and after 6 days of use (9 total track days) with the XP10s my rotors starting looking pretty grungy. I was seeing a lot of irregularity on the braking surface and the beginning of pock marks starting to show up on the rotor. I went back to stock pads but had to replace the front rotors after 13 track days. The same thing may have happened if I had stuck with the stock pads for those 6 days but I won't ever know. If you search for brake info on the forum you will find a fair number of pictures showing heavily pock marked ceramic rotors. I don't know if the owners had used stock or aftermarket pads but none of them got great rotor life. Some got half of what I did. The C6 ZR1 and C6 Z07 run the same ceramic rotor as the C7 does but there are people running ZR1s that are getting over twice the life time that I got with my ceramic rotors.

The rear rotors don't get as much abuse as the fronts but I used stock pads on them for all 17 track days that I ran last year. I went through one set of pads after 13 days and have 4 track days on the second set. The rotors still look good, no sign of pock marks beginning, still have the shine on them like they did when I first took the car to the track. They look like they could easily go for another 17 days.

No matter my experience you still may be better off looking at replacing the stock rotors. In my opinion they work great but the $1300 each Amazon price for the fronts is a killer if all you will get is 13 track days.

Bill
Old 01-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Thanks
Chris
Chris, do you have steel rotor or ceramics?
Old 01-24-2017, 11:00 PM
Atl-10Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Chris, do you have steel rotor or ceramics?
It is not a Z07, so I have steel

Thanks
Old 01-25-2017, 10:30 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

It is not a Z07, so I have steel

Thanks
Ok great I stick to my original pad suggestion XP20 & XP10.
The following users liked this post:
Atl-10Z06 (01-26-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 HPDE lessons learned

Quick Reply: C7 HPDE lessons learned