Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Formula One Breaking News

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 04:54 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Formula One Breaking News

Bernie Ecclestone no longer runs Formula One!

This is truly an historic day!

First Bernie was allowed to make the announcement:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ec...-of-f1-868019/

Then Liberty Media (soon to be known as "The Formula One Group") made their own announcement and clarified Bernie's new position in the scheme of things:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/li...e-role-868053/

I wasn't sure that I'd live to see the day.

Z//
Old 01-23-2017, 05:23 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

great news
Old 01-23-2017, 06:09 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
great news
Possibly? Probably? "The devil you know" and all that. I agree that a change is needed but, given 40 years of huge success via Bernie's steerage it's not easy to imagine some other entity stepping in and doing a better job.

Fingers crossed.

Z//
Old 01-23-2017, 07:15 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 735 Likes on 545 Posts

Not holding my breath for the future of F1, but it sure has been wild up to now!
No news of Mercedes driver lineup? I vote for Bottas... Williams is totally mercenary, and I'm sure he could be bought out of his contract. It'd probably make Hamilton pee his pants.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:48 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Default it's been a long slow decline

Thank God!!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:16 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nowanker
No news of Mercedes driver lineup? I vote for Bottas... Williams is totally mercenary, and I'm sure he could be bought out of his contract. It'd probably make Hamilton pee his pants.
You're not paying attention. They officially announced Bottas to Merc (and Massa back to Williams) last week:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/me...te-865891/?s=1

And Massa:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ma...nt-865853/?s=1

And Wehrlein:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/we...on-865846/?s=1

I doubt that Hamilton will feel too threatened as Bottas will take some time to settle in with the team by which time LH will be long gone points-wise. Not that I wish for that too happen but I think it's the most likely scenario. Besides, Merc doesn't care - they just want someone who can keep Red Bull at bay re: the constructor's championship.

Z//
Old 01-23-2017, 09:27 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

please bring back 20,000rpm v8!!!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:54 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chetly
please bring back 20,000rpm v8!!!
Heck, bring back the v10s and v12s of old.

Ross Brawn thinks that if they continue down this "road car relevant" pathway the sport will be history in 20 years as the road cars are all going electric and no one will pay money to watch "silent movies". He wants to bring back "crazy" and "loud". And now he's in charge of the sporting side of F1 so that's probably a good thing. Again, fingers crossed.

Z//
Old 01-24-2017, 10:10 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 735 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
You're not paying attention. They officially announced Bottas to Merc (and Massa back to Williams) last week:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/me...te-865891/?s=1

And Massa:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ma...nt-865853/?s=1

And Wehrlein:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/we...on-865846/?s=1

I doubt that Hamilton will feel too threatened as Bottas will take some time to settle in with the team by which time LH will be long gone points-wise. Not that I wish for that too happen but I think it's the most likely scenario. Besides, Merc doesn't care - they just want someone who can keep Red Bull at bay re: the constructor's championship.

Z//

You're right! I wasn't paying attention!
I have high hopes for Bottas this season. I like Lewis Hamilton, no doubt he is well talented, but I think Bottas might give him a run. And when Wehrlein's F1 career peters out, there's certainly a modeling contract in his future...
Old 01-25-2017, 09:54 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Heck, bring back the v10s and v12s of old.

Ross Brawn thinks that if they continue down this "road car relevant" pathway the sport will be history in 20 years as the road cars are all going electric and no one will pay money to watch "silent movies". He wants to bring back "crazy" and "loud". And now he's in charge of the sporting side of F1 so that's probably a good thing. Again, fingers crossed.

Z//

Mandatory fuel mileage, active aero (drs), and hybridization don't belong in this sport just because the auto industry is going that way. These cars should feature high output large displacement naturally aspirated engines with the lightest possible chassis.

A 900 -1000hp N/A V12 in a 500 to 600 kg chassis would be perfect... racing is a spectator sport/ entertainment business and whatever makes the consumers excited and stirs up emotion is what should be pursued to keep viewership up

Last edited by el es tu; 01-25-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:03 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Bernie being gone is the best thing that could happen to F1. The idiot actually said he isn't interested in a young fan demographic and only cared about wealthy middle and older age males. Moron. Youth are the future to F1 success.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 11:24 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Bernie built F1. I just don't get why people are always angry about Bernie.

It was a small European sport and no one made much money. Bernie changed all that. He improved safety and he helped a lot of people become multi-millionaires.

F1 is now a world wide sport with huge attendance numbers.

If you think back at one point IndyCar and F1 were roughly equal. F1 had Bernie. IndyCar had no one. Compare the 2 series today.

Richard Newton
Historic Racing Images
Old 01-25-2017, 12:16 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rfn026
Bernie built F1. I just don't get why people are always angry about Bernie.

It was a small European sport and no one made much money. Bernie changed all that. He improved safety and he helped a lot of people become multi-millionaires.
Well, you hit one reason right on the nose there. It was a *sport* and he made it a *business* (along with Colin Chapman.) Sport fans aren't interested in "making multimillionaires" and, in fact, will pretty much always see that as an overall negative.

F1 is now a world wide sport with huge attendance numbers.
Indeed. No one is arguing that fact. But, as I said, it's not the issue that you're questioning which is why people get angry re: Bernie.

If you think back at one point IndyCar and F1 were roughly equal. F1 had Bernie. IndyCar had no one. Compare the 2 series today.
Again, this is a *business* issue and not a sporting issue. The fans (and Bernie's *many* detractors within the sport!) have always taken issue with his primary focus being money with the long-term health of the sport taking a distinct back seat. In fact, there has been a stunning lack of *any* long-term view from Bernie. His cavalier attitude towards the classic tracks, and F1's history in general, has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way for far too long. So, while there is certainly recognition of what he has done to build the thing to where it stands today, a lot of folks feel that he did so while throwing a lot of valued elements under the bus over the years. So far, the new folks seem to agree with that assessment, too.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns35652.html

And even better:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/br...f1-868446/?s=1

They say that Mussolini made the trains run on time - a good thing - but then, you had to deal with Mussolini. The trade-off is somewhat debatable.

Z//
The following users liked this post:
rfn026 (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 03:00 PM
Torch FRC
Safety Car

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Bring back the NA V12s!!!
Old 01-25-2017, 10:32 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Possibly? Probably? "The devil you know" and all that. I agree that a change is needed but, given 40 years of huge success via Bernie's steerage it's not easy to imagine some other entity stepping in and doing a better job.

Fingers crossed.

Z//
Old 01-26-2017, 12:43 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Well, at least so far they are making noises that sound quite positive. I like that Ross Brawn is leading the sporting side of things. He's got a solid head on his shoulders, clearly sees where Bernie was falling down, and (gasp) grasps the concept of "long term planning and goals."

He's also against all the hybrid crap. :applause:

It's funny reading the Brit commentators' sly snarks over all the "Superbowl" references. My guess is that they'll change that tune (at least a little) after reading how Liberty values the "legacy" races and that they clearly want to protect them (Silverstone among them.)

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/li...ift-f1-868513/

Z//
Old 01-28-2017, 09:29 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

One of my concerns was seeing more of the legacy races fall by the wayside in pursuit of euros. Also all the hybrid crap seemed to be a preemptive politically correct move to silence critics of motor sports, and I don't like politically correct. With Brawn involved, that gives me a measure of confidence.

Also, Bernie is 86 years old and the laws of probability say he isn't going to be around much longer. Better to have this move occur in a voluntary and planned manner versus one that would happen if he suddenly passed.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:08 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by spdislife
One of my concerns was seeing more of the legacy races fall by the wayside in pursuit of euros.
Yeah, I won't at all miss the endless, public "negotiations" (aka threats) from Bernie designed to pump up the cash fountains.

Also all the hybrid crap seemed to be a preemptive politically correct move to silence critics of motor sports...
While I think that might have played a small part, I'm much more inclined to see this is just an extension of Bernie's *highly* visible (for years and years) plans and ploys to get more cash flow available to him. The big manufacturers are/were pulled into F1 for that reason. From Bernie's point of view they, like every government on the planet, are little more than huge bank accounts that he wanted access to. So, if Mercedes is willing to open their vault to him in exchange for something that Mercedes wants... Remember, to get access to the vault requires a company's board of director' approval and BODs have to justify such expenses to their shareholders. If you can justify it all as "R&D for future road car technology" then...

Also, Bernie is 86 years old and the laws of probability say he isn't going to be around much longer. Better to have this move occur in a voluntary and planned manner versus one that would happen if he suddenly passed.
I'd love to know the real story behind that aspect of it. Did Bernie finally come to grips with the ultimate fact of life and surrender for the good of the series? His statement re: the ludicrous rumor that he was going to start up a competing series seems telling in this regard (IMO):
"I have built the championship over the last nearly 50 years, which is something I am proud of, and the last thing I want is to see it damaged."
He had to know that he could/would heavily damage F1 if he croaked with no succession plan in place. Certainly CVC would have been nervous about that scenario for several years now.

Z//

Get notified of new replies

To Formula One Breaking News

Quick Reply: Formula One Breaking News