Sponsored by:

Valet Mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 08:55 PM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Valet Mode

So I dropped my GS off at the dealer and put it in Valet Mode before dropping off the keys. When I come back to pick up the car in the afternoon I get the keys and go out to the car. Before getting in I do a walk around to make sure there is no lift damage. I start the car and go to unlock the Valet Mode only to find out the car is no longer locked in Valet Mode!

My question is does the dealer have some means of unlocking Valet Mode? I was told don't forget the code because there is on way to unlock. Perhaps OnStar unlocked it for them?

I am curious if anyone has any answers? Yes I am sure it was in Valet Mode when I left.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2017, 09:00 PM
hangman
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't know, but I wonder if you disconnect the battery, if the system would reset and get rid of valet mode..
Old 01-23-2017, 09:02 PM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hangman
I don't know, but I wonder if you disconnect the battery, if the system would reset and get rid of valet mode..
If they did that (not sure why they would) I would loose my other settings like mem seat right. All I has was the 500 mile oil change.

Thanks for the note.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:24 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Are you sure you actually set valet mode? I ask because it prompts you to verify the code before it actually locks.

I recently got my car back from the shop where it was in there over a week - with valet mode on. When I got it the valet mode was still set.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That would be my guess too, that for whatever reason it didn't set before you left it.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:37 PM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by defaria
Are you sure you actually set valet mode? I ask because it prompts you to verify the code before it actually locks.

I recently got my car back from the shop where it was in there over a week - with valet mode on. When I got it the valet mode was still set.
Good point. I will try again tomorrow. On my 2014 you entered the code number twice and that was it. That is what I did. Maybe they now have a confirmation selection?
Old 01-23-2017, 10:44 PM
Wideout
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by defaria

^^ This. It's happened to me more than once. I know better now, to double-check.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:07 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I'm pretty sure the dealers have a way to unlock valet mode, or at least I hope they do!

What would you do if you forgot your code? You'd take it to the dealer, right? They, with their tools, should be able to unscrew darn near anything, even our own mistakes.

IF, a simple battery disconnect doesn't disable it (and I hope not, because then every knowledgeable valet could do this), the thing I would be concerned about is WHY the dealer disabled it.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:37 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,230 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I too would think that the dealer could unlock the valet mode if you forgot the code.

My '15 Impala has a valet mode like the C7 and the owner's manual doesn't make mention of what happens should you forget the code you entered. I'm going to have to ask them the next time I'm at the dealership.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:36 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I'm pretty sure the dealers have a way to unlock valet mode, or at least I hope they do!
If they do it better require physical access to the "hardware". Everybody in the security business (at least cybersecurity) says if you have physical access then all bets are off.

What would you do if you forgot your code? You'd take it to the dealer, right? They, with their tools, should be able to unscrew darn near anything, even our own mistakes.

IF, a simple battery disconnect doesn't disable it (and I hope not, because then every knowledgeable valet could do this), the thing I would be concerned about is WHY the dealer disabled it.
Most likely he didn't set it properly. That's a much more rational explanation, Occam's razor and all...
Old 01-24-2017, 06:34 AM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Dealers have an over-ride feature. I know this because I took my 2017 Lincoln Navigator-L in for a scheduled 3 month service last week (bought it new in Oct) and I put it in Valet mode when I got there.

The service manager came into the waiting area about 30 minutes into the service appointment and told me there was a SW upgrade they needed to do on the vehicle and they had to take it out of Valet mode to perform the upgrade and test procedure. I was happy he at least came in and told my they did it.

I asked him if this was unique to Ford / Lincoln only and he said nope, certain level of techs at all dealerships can over ride valet mode.

Last edited by IDSRVIT; 01-24-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:36 AM
VH Vette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

The intended use for the Valet mode was just for that "Valet attendants". When the car goes in for service I would bet that the service techs will take it out of valet mode especially if they are going to do something "stupid" with the car.
I wish we did have something that they (service) could not override so we could see exactly what they do with our cars. I had one of my Vettes wrecked while in service at the largest Chevy dealer in my area so I understand your concerns. By the way I would NEVER allow a Valet to touch any of my vehicles.

Valet Mode (If Equipped)
This will lock the infotainment
system and steering wheel controls.
It may also limit top speed, power,
and access to vehicle storage
locations (if equipped).

VH
The following users liked this post:
JRYELLOWCORVETTE (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by VH Vette
When the car goes in for service I would bet that the service techs will take it out of valet mode especially if they are going to do something "stupid" with the car.
Not always.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:53 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by JRYELLOWCORVETTE
So I dropped my GS off at the dealer and put it in Valet Mode before dropping off the keys. When I come back to pick up the car in the afternoon I get the keys and go out to the car. Before getting in I do a walk around to make sure there is no lift damage. I start the car and go to unlock the Valet Mode only to find out the car is no longer locked in Valet Mode!

My question is does the dealer have some means of unlocking Valet Mode? I was told don't forget the code because there is on way to unlock. Perhaps OnStar unlocked it for them?

I am curious if anyone has any answers? Yes I am sure it was in Valet Mode when I left.

Thanks
Did you see if anything was recorded? They may have driven it into the bay before disabling valet mode if in fact they disabled it. If so, I would certainly call them on it.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:01 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,295 Likes on 857 Posts

Did they also perform the air bag software update? If so, I imagine they needed to exit valet mode to load the software change.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:49 PM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RonC7
Did they also perform the air bag software update? If so, I imagine they needed to exit valet mode to load the software change.
Just an oil change... nothing else. On my 2014 I hand something stolen from behind the screen and that is why I locked it. It was at a different dealer. Could not prove anything.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:08 PM
SleepDr
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes a dealer can unlock it. When I purchased my 2015(used) from Hendricks it was locked. The salesman pulled it into the service aisle and it was unlocked in less than a minute.

Get notified of new replies

To Valet Mode

Quick Reply: Valet Mode