C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

VSS Year specific

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 05:48 AM
91s10Blazer
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSS Year specific

ok guys, bare with me:

I have a 91 s10blazer with 4.3L, TBI, v6 (sawed off sbc) with a 700R4 trans, with an electronic speedo servo.

I'm looking to swap in a corvette 700R4 (cause i burned mine up)

What year did corvette start introducing an electronic speedo servo to their 700R4? I need to know the earliest year i can start looking for a replacement trans.

Thank you everyone in advance
Old 01-24-2017, 06:03 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by 91s10Blazer
ok guys, bare with me:

I have a 91 s10blazer with 4.3L, TBI, v6 (sawed off sbc) with a 700R4 trans, with an electronic speedo servo.

I'm looking to swap in a corvette 700R4 (cause i burned mine up)

What year did corvette start introducing an electronic speedo servo to their 700R4? I need to know the earliest year i can start looking for a replacement trans.

Thank you everyone in advance
You'll pay a premium for the Corvette transmission that it seems you really don't need. '94 was the first year for the 4L60e in the Corvette.

*** I'd maybe delete your WTB because you can't edit the TITLE and you're actually looking for a 4L60e and NOT just a 700R4 like you mention. You might also mention your "LOCATION" if you're serious about the buy. You can put "LOCATION" permanently in your profile but it wouldn't hurt to mention it in your WTB also.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-24-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:16 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You'll pay a premium for the Corvette transmission that it seems you really don't need. '94 was the first year for the 4L60e in the Corvette.

*** I'd maybe delete your WTB because you can't edit the TITLE and you're actually looking for a 4L60e and NOT just a 700R4 like you mention. You might also mention your "LOCATION" if you're serious about the buy. You can put "LOCATION" permanently in your profile but it wouldn't hurt to mention it in your WTB also.
I believe he may be referring only to the reluctor vs gear for the VSS. His 91 S10 would not have a 4l60E
Old 01-24-2017, 01:10 PM
91s10Blazer
5th Gear

@arbee

exactly. That's what I mean. And you are right, a 4L60E will not work with my truck. So with that being said, what year am I looking for as a replacement? 😀
Old 01-24-2017, 05:15 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by arbee
I believe he may be referring only to the reluctor vs gear for the VSS. His 91 S10 would not have a 4l60E
I should have realized that much earlier but I believe I was still "overcome" by the reference to the "sawed off SBC" LOL. A few months ago I had to source a DRAC for a fellow with an S10 with the 4L60 with the -e VSS.

I don't know why the OP doesn't just source a correct transmission.

**You can cut a "short shaft" 700R4/4L60 to use in the Corvette but you can't "stretch" the Corvette shaft to use in the others.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-24-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:01 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

@arbee

exactly. That's what I mean. And you are right, a 4L60E will not work with my truck. So with that being said, what year am I looking for as a replacement? 😀
Can't tell you for sure. My 1992 FSM shows my 4L60 with the reluctor rotor rather than the gear. Maybe members with 1991, 1990 etc. can check theirs and chime in.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:18 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I should have realized that much earlier but I believe I was still "overcome" by the reference to the "sawed off SBC" LOL. A few months ago I had to source a DRAC for a fellow with an S10 with the 4L60 with the -e VSS.

I don't know why the OP doesn't just source a correct transmission.

**You can cut a "short shaft" 700R4/4L60 to use in the Corvette but you can't "stretch" the Corvette shaft to use in the others.
Good point!
Old 01-24-2017, 08:00 PM
91s10Blazer
5th Gear

Good point!
the reason why is that; I have a tight budget, a 4month old, a wife that stays at home with her. (By my choice) and I work 60 hrs a week. Ergo, I don't have time to pull and build the trans, so I'm looking for a trans that has more robust internals (I.e. one that handles v8 power) from the factory, so I can slap it in and away I go. Being that this is my daily driver, I want the quickest most convenient repair / or replacement. I referenced the "sawed-off sbc" because the first gen 4.3L v6 is essentially a v8 minus 2 cylinders. If I wanted to, I could rebuild that engine using the same internals found in a corvette, (of the same era) as a "super low-buck upgrade" which is essentially what I'm looking to do by swapping in a v8 / vette transmission
Old 01-24-2017, 08:45 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

the reason why is that; I have a tight budget, a 4month old, a wife that stays at home with her. (By my choice) and I work 60 hrs a week. Ergo, I don't have time to pull and build the trans, so I'm looking for a trans that has more robust internals (I.e. one that handles v8 power) from the factory, so I can slap it in and away I go. Being that this is my daily driver, I want the quickest most convenient repair / or replacement. I referenced the "sawed-off sbc" because the first gen 4.3L v6 is essentially a v8 minus 2 cylinders. If I wanted to, I could rebuild that engine using the same internals found in a corvette, (of the same era) as a "super low-buck upgrade" which is essentially what I'm looking to do by swapping in a v8 / vette transmission
I'm quite sure that most 700R4/4L60 outputs were the same and the rotor for the -e VSS likely pressed on .vs using a retainer for retention like the plastic mechanical drive gear. Most any short shaft 700R4/4L60 should work for you. Vans, F-body, full-size GM trucks(some), full-size GM B-body.

Can't tell you for sure. My 1992 FSM shows my 4L60 with the reluctor rotor rather than the gear. Maybe members with 1991, 1990 etc. can check theirs and chime in.
Through '93 the Corvette 4L60 was mechanical with the 17 tooth red drive gear and various driven choices. I just checked my '92 FSM and on 4L60-1 it's a generic image (sensor & rotor) but when you get to the actual repair section it then discusses drive gear, retainer etc. It does though very early have an image that displays both ITSS (never noticed it being called that before) and mechanical drive.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-25-2017 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:24 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Take this for what it's worth, but it sounds like you have your hands full at the present time. Do you really need to compound things for yourself by searching around for a non-S10 transmission and the problems that may arise? You need to remove the trans and replace one way or the other. You say you don't have the time to rebuild it. Does that mean you have the skills but don't feel you can spare the time or it would have to be rebuilt elsewhere? Not knowing what you mean by you "burnt yours up", if it is the 3-4 pack, a patch job for now is relatively fast and cheap. Off with the pan, remove the lockup solenoid, remove the pump and you are at the input drum. Even a complete seals, frictions and steels kit can be had for about 150.00. Could all be completed in a few hours. You will pay more than that for a complete unit from a parts yard. Get your DD back on the road and then contemplate what's next. JMO.

Get notified of new replies

To VSS Year specific

Quick Reply: VSS Year specific