C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

under hood light wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 08:03 AM
rclinton
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default under hood light wiring

Well its winter time again and while I am knee deep in removing the HUD for repair of the mounting pins. I thought I would tackle a few ankle biters while the car is laid up. One is, I had my engine forged a few years back and removed the hood insulation (Oil soaked from popsicled dip stick) and the hood light. I installed a new insulator but for the life of me I can not find the wiring for the under hood light. to be clear I reinstalled my under hood light and cant find where the wiring to connect it to is. Can someone tell me where the wire originates from in the engine bay so I can trace it and find where it is hiding. I know its a small thing but while I at it I might as well check this off the list. Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:59 AM
rclinton
Pro

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Unless you have had the radiator front support (large plastic housing) removed and reinstalled and didn't reinstall the connector to it, the connector is on the passenger side front low on that plastic radiator housing.

Yea the plastic housing went the way of the dodo when the A&A kit went in. I know its tucked up out of site somewhere but would like to find where in the wiring harness it originates so I can try to find it that way.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:20 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by rclinton
Well its winter time again and while I am knee deep in removing the HUD for repair of the mounting pins. I thought I would tackle a few ankle biters while the car is laid up. One is, I had my engine forged a few years back and removed the hood insulation (Oil soaked from popsicled dip stick) and the hood light. I installed a new insulator but for the life of me I can not find the wiring for the under hood light. to be clear I reinstalled my under hood light and cant find where the wiring to connect it to is. Can someone tell me where the wire originates from in the engine bay so I can trace it and find where it is hiding. I know its a small thing but while I at it I might as well check this off the list. Thanks in advance for any information.
This is funny. The same thing happened to me. This was back in 2005 and i still can find it. Lol
Old 01-28-2017, 02:46 AM
AndersT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

As 8vette7 says, the female connector is located in the passenger side, and it comes free of the harness right at the horn assembly (unless you´ve relocated the horns when installing the A&A kit):

I´ve wrapped the connector and fastened it with zip-tie´s to the other wires, as I went another route:

The following users liked this post:
helga203 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 03:06 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by helga203
This is funny. The same thing happened to me. This was back in 2005 and i still can find it. Lol
Ha ha you and me both...I am convinced it is alien technology!
Old 01-28-2017, 06:34 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for the pics. Good to know where those wires to the hood light come from.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:08 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by El original
Ha ha you and me both...I am convinced it is alien technology!
Lol, Come to thing about it, a while back few years ago when i had to change the turn signal light i saw that plug, looked around to see if something was disconnected and didn't find anything. Car was running fine, all lights worked except hood light because i removed when i could not find the plug. One mystery solved. Haha
Old 01-30-2017, 11:35 AM
rclinton
Pro

A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks I will check. Currently I am knee deep in both the HUD fix and the climate control display fix so the vette is in a hundred pieces. As soon as I'm done I get it up on the race ramps and give it a look. Thanks again.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:38 PM
Justin Raney
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Im currently looking for the underhood light wiring as well. So its a seperate harness that plugs into a connector by the horn assembly plug wires out of the stock harness? Mines missing the underhood light and couldnt find the wiring or an extra plug when i had the bumper off.

Get notified of new replies

To under hood light wiring

Quick Reply: under hood light wiring