C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown engine on the dyno after supercharger install

Old 01-27-2017, 11:30 PM
bgautreau
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blown engine on the dyno after supercharger install

Looking for a little therapy on the forum after a tough night. I just received the call that my 2014 Z51 experienced what seems to be a catastrophic engine failure during the dyno tune after installing an ECS supercharger and meth kit. I'm not at all sure where to start with this thread, I guess I am just looking for some advice as I feel very sick to my stomach right now. I would consider myself less than a novice when it comes to engines but have been on these forums daily for the past 3 years reading and gaining knowledge after I purchased my car back in 2013, my first vette/sports car. I had my mind maid up that I was going to add some HP when my warranty expired but wanted it done safely hence the meth setup. Researched the installer and tuner, both of which have what I would consider to be significant experience with the this type of build and forced induction tuning on this platform.

Any ideas as to what could have gone wrong?
What am I looking at cost wise to fix this (best and worst case scenario)?
What should be my next step?

Needless to say that I am completely gun shy now on the whole forced induction thing

I know that there is a lot more information that you guys need before providing any real sound advice. The guys doing the install are going to be tearing down the engine tomorrow to try and determine what went wrong. I plan on getting the data logs from the dyno runs to post up as well.

Thanks a bunch..

Popular Reply

02-07-2017, 07:26 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Old 01-28-2017, 12:23 AM
LSX Camaro
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I am Very interested to see the results of the engine tear down.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:52 AM
intake68
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear about the motor. I can tell you had done your research and right now you are justifiably crushed. Hopefully they can figure out the cause from the tear down. It won't change your reality but peace of mind is key. If it was tuner error or if it was a failed mechanical part it at least you will learn and can move on.
On a sidenote there is a guy in Corpus Christi Texas with an lt1 for sale from his 2017 GS with 600 miles. Its a closed facebook group so I cant post a link but if you are interested the group is called C7 Corvette Parts Buy Sell Trade. Think he want 7k for the complete long block minus the pan.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:35 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Sorry to hear. How many miles on the car before you did the supercharger install? Do you have a before Dyno or log of engine before the install? I'm sure you did your due diligence with researching your installer/tuner, but I would get my hands on any logs and go through them for some clear signs if any that might point to either a tuner or install error or just plain bad luck. Wish you the best in overcoming this setback.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:55 AM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Sorry to hear. Was a compression test done before install? Was a before dyno completed?
Old 01-28-2017, 09:33 AM
bgautreau
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the words of encouragement. The car had only 9k miles on it when this happened. Unfortunately there was no dyno information on the engine before the install. The install was done by a very competent individual that has worked in this business for a while and now does work on the side. Tune was done remotely after the install.

I'll post up more information when I get it.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:53 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

How do they know there was a engine failure? They did a compression test or there's a rod through the block? How did they come to that conclusion is my question. Who is the shop?

If the heads are ok then just build you a shortblock and move everything over to it. Use a stock crank, a good rod, and nice 10.5:1 piston. You can build that shortblock for under 5k.

Last edited by C7&7; 01-28-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:55 AM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

My first question for the installer/tuner would be how many LT1's have they worked on? DI is a whole different animal compared to the LS platform and I know many well regarded shops went through a pretty steep learning curve when they started modding this new motor. Hope you get some good news, but now you are going down this road make sure you working with people who have a track record with the LT1 motor.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:19 AM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

I am curious of what happens cause I am thinking of getting A&S on my 2014 with 12k on it and this makes me feel skittish?

Last edited by smajicek; 01-28-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:22 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Camaro
I am Very interested to see the results of the engine tear down.
You never will but would like to see above and really love to see the tune the shop put on it when it went.

Please post the shop of this great work. I still put money the shop put to much timing into it maybe. Like someone has said here you can out forged part into the block if still good.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:29 AM
ChiefP
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry to hear that. The real measure of customer service is support AFTER the sale or when problems occur. If it turns out to be tune or install related, hopefully these guys will step up.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:40 AM
vetteandv
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 109 Posts

In for more details.....if I had to put money on it....I would say tune related. That's not to say something couldn't have just randomly let go but I highly doubt it.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:53 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Be interesting to know if the installer/tuner is going to cover the damage or try and weasel out of it.
The following users liked this post:
SuprChrgdC7 (01-29-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 02:02 PM
tuboy19
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How much power was it making when the failure occurred?
Old 01-28-2017, 02:25 PM
DP RS
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by smajicek
I am curious of what happens cause I am thinking of getting A&S on my 2014 with 12k on it and this makes me feel skittish?
If you are going to add power, you have to expect a higher risk of issues. These increase exponentially the higher you go.

OP, sorry to hear. Hope they will sort it out for you.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:50 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts
Default blown engine

Originally Posted by DP RS
If you are going to add power, you have to expect a higher risk of issues. These increase exponentially the higher you go.

OP, sorry to hear. Hope they will sort it out for you.
That I understand, I am not going crazy HP cause I live in California and I am getting a CARB complaint sc. Should do about 550 RWHP. that is not huge compared to other states where there is no restrictions and guys do 800 to 1200 RWHP. I can't even do headers or meth in California. but the weather is nice here
Old 01-28-2017, 03:00 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by smajicek
That I understand, I am not going crazy HP cause I live in California and I am getting a CARB complaint sc. Should do about 550 RWHP. that is not huge compared to other states where there is no restrictions and guys do 800 to 1200 RWHP. I can't even do headers or meth in California. but the weather is nice here
You can still do better than that in your state. Small cam ported and coated exhaust. Then get a SI set up from Andy. That should get you close to 600 rwhp with no problem. Problem is getting a good tuner to do this and not blow up your motor.

Get notified of new replies

To Blown engine on the dyno after supercharger install

Old 01-28-2017, 03:34 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Another important factor to consider is that some early 14's had a manufacturing defect with the machining of the bearings, I believe. There were some engines that blew even stock. When Theta used to post here, he discussed the issue in detail, as his car was one of the affected ones.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:02 PM
bgautreau
Heel & Toe

Burnt piston in #7. Logs show that it went rich on the second to last pull due to the ecm pulling timing due to the intake temps rising. This caused a rich condition in the cylinder. Bearing damage as well. I'll take a look back at Theta's earlier post to gain a little more insight. Going to go forward with a forged smallblock and cam since the engine will be torn down. I know you run the risk of damage when you do these sort of things, just thought that I was playing it safe. You live and learn I guess.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:08 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

It burned a piston because it went rich?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blown engine on the dyno after supercharger install