Pro

Received 243 Likes on 141 Posts
Default CarPlay

Anyone having problems with CarPlay?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:35 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Android auto and Car play are both finicky. Have periodic app issues with both my wife's Kenwood in her C6 and with my C7. For instance on my way home today in the middle of a phone call TuneIn Radio starts blasting over my phone call.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:42 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Only issue that I noticed that is consistent is if you are playing a song and forget to pause it before shutting of the car, when restarting the car, the song may look like it's playing but there is no sound. Exiting out of carplay and going into radio mode and then back to carplay sometimes remedies the problem but usually, shutting off the car and restarting it is the only way to get the songs to play again. Bottom line, press pause on a song playing in carplay before shutting of the car and you won't have this problem.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:31 AM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

CarPlay is only as good as your data service. I have T-Moblie and when I travel between Southern and Northern California, CarPlay becomes useless because the data-dependent apps such as navigation, Pandora, MLB, etc., will not work. And another annoyance is there are times when volume of the voice prompts are too low and there's no way to adjust it. Sometimes it work but mostly it doesn't.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:51 AM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Disabled it on my car. Only shows a few apps, none that i really wanted. I originally thought it would mirror my iPhone screen but no. Not a bit impressed.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:16 AM
HoustonMidtown
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

CarPlay updated with latest iOS

It also now supports Amazon Music

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/...r-with-ios-103
The following users liked this post:
maxp (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:08 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Big
CarPlay is only as good as your data service. I have T-Moblie and when I travel between Southern and Northern California, CarPlay becomes useless because the data-dependent apps such as navigation, Pandora, MLB, etc., will not work. And another annoyance is there are times when volume of the voice prompts are too low and there's no way to adjust it. Sometimes it work but mostly it doesn't.
I never rarely have a problem with data-dependent apps using Android Auto (that is unless I'm driving like in Death Valley). It seems much more a function of your carrier. I have Sprint. You have T-Mobile. It's probably T-Mobile.

And there is a setting, at least in AA, for the voice prompt volume.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:15 AM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
Disabled it on my car. Only shows a few apps, none that i really wanted. I originally thought it would mirror my iPhone screen but no. Not a bit impressed.
Yikes. Apply Carplay and Android Auto were designed to keep people from doing those distracted driving activities that are all too common--texting, dialing the phone, messing with the in-car navigation. Instead it reads texts to you, dials by voice commands, and navigates by voice too. At least Android Auto does, I haven't researched CarPlay. Mirroring the iPhone screen would be dangerous right?

Officer: "You were doing 80 in a 45 and then ran off the road and hit a lemonade stand. Can you explain what happened?"

Driver: "Well I had Safari directed to my favorite webcam girl site and I had just paid her to..."

Random browsing of web sites, playing games, facetime/hangouts are all things that aren't allowed under Auto/CarPlay by design (at least while the car is not in park). I'm curious what app you wanted mirrored while driving?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:22 AM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

CarPlay, for me, is head and shoulders above Bluetooth operation. The integration between phone and car is a lot more seamless, starting with voice commands.
The following 2 users liked this post by Silver C7:
direct007 (03-29-2017), myc6toy (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:40 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver C7
CarPlay, for me, is head and shoulders above Bluetooth operation. The integration between phone and car is a lot more seamless, starting with voice commands.
I agree. Bluetooth streaming sounds awful for most sources too, and the audio quality alone using a cable and Carplay makes a big difference.

When people say the Bose system in these cars is awful I wonder how many are streaming via Bluetooth? Because that was my fist though when I streamed Bluetooth via my iPhone. Then I got home and plugged in my Lightning cable and fired up Carplay and played the same source and it was night and day better vs Bluetooth.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:57 AM
DogTag-C7R
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonMidtown
CarPlay updated with latest iOS

It also now supports Amazon Music

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/...r-with-ios-103
I Didn't know this - thats awesome - I used to be a spotify fan and still am but I had a lot of different accounts everywhere and different apps for everything. I use amazon and alexa daily - Thanks for sharing - I love their playlists.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:13 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ColoradoGS
Yikes. Apply Carplay and Android Auto were designed to keep people from doing those distracted driving activities that are all too common--texting, dialing the phone, messing with the in-car navigation. Instead it reads texts to you, dials by voice commands, and navigates by voice too. At least Android Auto does, I haven't researched CarPlay. Mirroring the iPhone screen would be dangerous right?

Officer: "You were doing 80 in a 45 and then ran off the road and hit a lemonade stand. Can you explain what happened?"

Driver: "Well I had Safari directed to my favorite webcam girl site and I had just paid her to..."

Random browsing of web sites, playing games, facetime/hangouts are all things that aren't allowed under Auto/CarPlay by design (at least while the car is not in park). I'm curious what app you wanted mirrored while driving?

The following 3 users liked this post by defaria:
HoustonMidtown (03-28-2017), Krenath (08-07-2017), thill444 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:27 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by defaria
And there is a setting, at least in AA, for the voice prompt volume.
That's the way it's supposed to work on CarPlay but about 30% of the time the voice prompt volume is considerably lower than the radio volume and is almost inaudible. When I try increasing the volume, the radio volume goes up by the same amount and blows me out of the car and there's no way to set it independently. The other 70% of the time it works as it should. I'm hoping the 10.3 update fixes this.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:58 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Carplay is my biggest complaint in my GS. Its buggy, slow, quits at random and sucks overall. This is particularly frustrating as it worked fantastically in my 2016 SS camaro. Even took it to my dealer to see if he could flash an update to make it work better. Told me that the database in dealer tech indicated that GM is "working on an update".
Old 03-28-2017, 10:34 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Zap City
Carplay is my biggest complaint in my GS. Its buggy, slow, quits at random and sucks overall. This is particularly frustrating as it worked fantastically in my 2016 SS camaro. Even took it to my dealer to see if he could flash an update to make it work better. Told me that the database in dealer tech indicated that GM is "working on an update".
Strange, mine has been rock solid.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:43 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mister Big
That's the way it's supposed to work on CarPlay but about 30% of the time the voice prompt volume is considerably lower than the radio volume and is almost inaudible. When I try increasing the volume, the radio volume goes up by the same amount and blows me out of the car and there's no way to set it independently. The other 70% of the time it works as it should. I'm hoping the 10.3 update fixes this.
Sorry about CarPlay... Maybe it's time to get an Android...

No, I don't think you understand. In AA there are 3 settings for the voice volume: low, medium and high. Default is medium and for my purposes it works just fine.

Last edited by defaria; 03-28-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:22 AM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by defaria
No, I don't think you understand. In AA there are 3 settings for the voice volume: low, medium and high. Default is medium and for my purposes it works just fine.
Yes, I do understand. I also have 3 settings and I have it set to high and the issue persists.

Get notified of new replies

To CarPlay

Old 03-29-2017, 12:27 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Well then see suggestion #1...

Last edited by defaria; 03-29-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:45 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,177 Likes on 2,253 Posts

No problems works fine with my iPhone.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:50 AM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

My only complaint with CarPlay is everytime I pug my phone in, it starts playing random music from my phone. Even when I select something from the radio it keeps switching back. Anyone know how to turn this off?

Quick Reply: CarPlay