C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

How to deal w/accident?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 08:15 AM
J_Vette_Manuel
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to deal w/accident?

-If posted in wrong section, please forgive me.

I have 16' Z06 w/ 5.7k miles. Last night while out for dinner, I valet park the car. Mind you this is a high end area with plenty of Ferraris and such that are parked here. While walking away we hear a loud crack, turned around and my door was clipped while it was open... pictures below.

Here is my question.. I know the other drivers insurance will fix it and all, but how does "Diminished Value" work. Florida is apparently a state where this does apply. For those that have had to deal w/ this how did you negotiate that portion? Any help would be welcome.

As for the car, the damage is bad, but not was bad as it could've been. As of now my intentions are to keep the car, I got a good deal on it new. I love the car and it is my dream car. If it were more severe I'd consider otherwise.

I'm super bummed, but in the grand scheme of things, life is good.

Last edited by J_Vette_Manuel; 02-12-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:10 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear and best of luck with the repair. I would never valet a car like this, it doesn't matter how many Ferraris they park. Actually I wouldn't valet any of my cars.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:19 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,435 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Wow! So someone hit the door when it was opened, which damaged the fender too? Both can be replaced... particularly the door as it looks like a total loss.

The rocker panel looks OK, which is good as it involves a lot more as they're glued to the subframe.

Diminished value is certainly a concern, but it can be fixed as good as new. GL
Old 02-12-2017, 09:27 AM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Take a good look at where the door hinges mount to the front of the door opening. I'd bet that area is cracked as well. I believe that part (rocker panel/door opening) is glued on and a real bugger to replace.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:36 AM
c7neb
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Quick research of "diminished value" for Florida shows that you are entitled to a claim since you are not at fault and the other party has insurance. One site warns about letting the other guy's insurance determine your diminished value. I assume they value your claim for a fee. Good luck with the repair and your diminished claim.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:57 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Great attitude. I valet all the time. It's just a car. Sh t happens. Good luck with the insurance.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:07 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

New door, so no issue with diminished value....it will be perfect.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:21 AM
J_Vette_Manuel
Instructor

Good heads up to look at the door mount area, I'm hoping it isn't cracked.

I appreciate the responses. It will end up being a door and fender for sure as the fender is chipped from closing the door to get her home.

Life happens! I always remind myself how blessed I am. It is only but a car and thankfully it wasn't too serious.

Jose
Old 02-12-2017, 12:21 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Good news bad news.

The good news is that the damage isn't that bad at all, really just a door and you're close to 100% as-new again.

The bad news is that the damage isn't that bad at all, so it likely doesn't affect the value of the car much, so diminished value isn't a real concern.

Diminished value is there to help compensate for a loss you'll face a resale time, not a windfall to help with the "But it's not NEW anymore" feeling you get from damage like this.

Intellectually, remember that the door is a tiny, tiny fraction of the complexity of this car, and replacing it doesn't really harm the car in any way. It was probably worse and more invasive when GM had to replace my differential, but that's not visible.

Sorry you had to go through this and win the door prize, but fortunately it didn't spin it and involve the rest of the car!

Last edited by davepl; 02-12-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:14 PM
HARVEY T.GLUCK
Drifting

Received 651 Likes on 151 Posts

Default How to deal

STRONGLY DISAGREE... Consider yourself lucky in one respect Florida has diminished value --NY does not... Once you are in an accident and it is reported the market value takes a hit-- very few Corvette Buyers want a car that's hit no matter how small--and I have found out it can be as much as 15% even on a minor accident.
Make good use of your diminished value protection and do not accept the other Insurance companies quote without your due diligence ...
The following 2 users liked this post by HARVEY T.GLUCK:
BearZ06 (02-13-2017), Z06Fiend (02-14-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 01:18 PM
J_Vette_Manuel
Instructor

From one of the earlier mentioned posts, I examined the hinge area. I didn't see cracks, but there is damage to a latch in the middle of the painted portion of the car. So the piece where the door jamb is will have to now be replaced.

Mad it relates to diminished value, the car would indeed have less value.

When people go to purchase a used car, one of the first things they ask for is a "Carfax". A car with an "accident" will be valued less by 1) the consumer and 2) the dealer when appraising the car.

Luckily for me, I deal with auto dealers for my work. I'll have them give me a value pre-accident and for what it is worth post accident. Then I'll fight w/ the insurance.

As for repairs, I feel that it isn't too bad. It will be a door, fender, and the door jam. The shop I'm choosing will do it right. Plus I've dealt in this arena so I know what to look for.

Stinks nonetheless
Old 02-12-2017, 02:27 PM
MorganMay
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a fellow Forum member, and in Florida, who may be of assistance as diminished value determinations are a part of his business. FYI, I recently had a major repair after a rear end hit. He suggested that Allstate's offer of 11% of my 2015 Z06's current value for diminished value, was probably reasonable.

http://www.stlucieappraisal.net/
Old 02-12-2017, 02:38 PM
J_Vette_Manuel
Instructor

Thank you MorganMay! Would you be willing to PM the cost/extent of your damages? I want to arm myself. I will reach out to him. Unsure if Orlando would be too far.

When yoy say 11%, of what value? Wholesale, retail, or original msrp?

thank you!
Old 02-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

You know all that money you pay for insurance. The first phone call is to your insurance company so they can handle the process, work with the other insurance company and make sure the car is repaired correctly. You pay them the money to represent you and they are one hell of a lot bigger gorilla than you are.

Bill
Old 02-12-2017, 06:01 PM
99mike
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

When I was in an accident with my Infinity a few years ago, I hired an appraiser familiar with diminished value claims. Ask around for at dealerships and body shops for an appraiser who will value your car before and after the accident. Cost as I remember was about $300-350 for his services. After my car was fixed, I dropped a copy of the appraisal off at their insurance company and informed them I was seeking a diminished value claim. Be prepared for the other guys insurance company to also look at the car after repairs are made. He will try to sucker you into saying the the car is good as new. The fact is, it will never be worth what it was before the accident no matter how small. Good luck.

Mike
Old 02-12-2017, 07:12 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 546 Likes on 378 Posts

that sucks.hope you learned your lesson.NOBODY gets behind the wheel of my vette except me.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

As soon as the door is ordered for your car based off the cars vin then the companies like Carfax and others can get the accident info. Yes your car is devalued-period! I refer this company for high end car owners, check him out of FB too, http://collisionsafetyconsultants.com/

If not successful and if FL small claims is anything like NY just sue at fault party yourself. I have a customer here in NY doing just that now after we repaired his Z06 this fall and the insurance co started playing their DDD games, Deny, Delay, Defend.

A word from a 40 year collision shop owner. Use a shop that is without insurance contracts or deals. Make sure its clear YOU are the shops customer NOT the insurance co. Hard to find sometimes these days as its easier to cut rates sell junk parts and in turn have the insurance co's fill your shop with lots of wrecks! Choose a shop of your choice, PM me if you like this is my main business if I can be of any help with the repair process. jefferysautobody.com for more information.

To another poster DV is alive and well in NY, many of my customers have gotten paid.

Get notified of new replies

To How to deal w/accident?

Old 02-12-2017, 10:29 PM
Blue02ws6
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Diminished value is great and horrible. Horrible if you own the car great if you're like me and bought one because of it.

As an example, I just picked up a perfect 2016 z06 with 2500 miles for $64k loaded comp seats, nav, 2lz with suede all new parts from a small accident that insurance fixed. Sticker on my car was $98k.

You will take a big hit if you decide to sell it and anyone checks carfax.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:37 PM
killerv6
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Door damage

Pay for it
Your self so there is no carfax

Last edited by killerv6; 02-12-2017 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-12-2017, 11:47 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

take it to Burke's corvettes for the repair, its behind Rogers corvettes on 17-92. He is awesome when it comes to vettes.

Quick Reply: How to deal w/accident?