Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matching Number Engine

Old 02-12-2017, 08:25 AM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Matching Number Engine

Just put a 400 hp engine in my '79....Considering selling the ORIGINAL L-82 engine w/ apx. 45k miles. I don't see where I'll EVER put it back in the car, and if I were to sell the car, I don't see where the new owner would wanna put it back in....SOOO...my questions are:

1) What is a fair market value price for this engine? Has matching number carb, & original exh. manifolds. Only things removed are flywheel, bell housing & fuel pump. I put new umbrella valve guide seals in it last summer. I have original smog pump & heat riser. It's a good runner, should have gaskets replaced....carb needs gone thru.

2) Do you see any advantage/disadvantage of lettin' this engine go?

I'm just not sure there's any advantage to just lettin' it "sit" in the corner....why not let someone get some use out of it that wants an actual stock '79 L-82 engine??

I appreciate any and all comments....
Old 02-12-2017, 08:57 AM
sparky77
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

There is some value to keeping the matching engine some Vette owners like having numbers matching car.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:27 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

If it was a 69 I would say keep it but a 79, not so much. The engine that you want will probably be more desired by most in that car so it will still sell to someone for the same amount of money. The rubber bumper cars will never demand the big dollars like the chromies.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:13 AM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

It could definitely be valuable to a future owner when your '79 C3 has risen in value due to its age. You may want to hang on to it - a future owner might thank you.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:57 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,318 Likes on 2,767 Posts

Originally Posted by gguillot
It could definitely be valuable to a future owner when your '79 C3 has risen in value due to its age. You may want to hang on to it - a future owner might thank you.

I think you are missing the point of the concept of "matching numbers." The VIN derivative on the block that actually "matches" the VIN on the car it's original to, is the value. Nobody cares if you have a loose 350 with a carb that's correct (carbs do not "match" anything) To that motor.

The engine by itself is close to worthless. Even if you believe a future buyer would not put the original motor back in, you could very easily be quite wrong about that. The most value that engine has is to the person who owns that car.

Wrap it up, keep the block at least and when you sell the car you will be able to offer the original, numbers matching engine with it. Selling off the original motor is extremely shortsighted. It has value and makes the purchase more desireable. Do not believe comments that say the matching number block has no value to that car... people have said that about all gen Corvettes over the years and they have been wrong.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Tiger Joe
Drifting

Received 517 Likes on 343 Posts

The most value that motor has is kept with the car.

Otherwise it's just another low hp 70s small block.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:47 PM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm sure this same conversation took place in the late sixties when someone was thinking the same thing about their 1959 Corvette.

"oh, that old 283 ain't gonna be worth nuthin. Chunk it and put in that new 327."
The following users liked this post:
LS4 PILOT (02-14-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 04:54 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

it is a low horsepower late 70's small block.. they made a million of them.. plus it would cost more to ship than it is worth. shipping cost would keep the ceiling down for what you could get out of it..
Old 02-12-2017, 11:40 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I have 3 'numbers matching' vettes. And it was exactly THAT that made me buy them.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:23 AM
Corvetteoz
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Agree guys. The only value with that engine is that it matches the car. Split them up and all the originality your cars comes with is gone. Keep it and put it in the corner.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:41 AM
Sluefoot
Racer

Thanx to everyone....I've decided to KEEP it!!
Old 02-13-2017, 06:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by joewill
...it is a low horsepower late 70's small block.. they made a million of them...
But only one with Sluefoot's VIN derivative stamped on it.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Corvetteoz
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sluefoot
Good choice dude
Old 02-13-2017, 09:47 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by gguillot
I'm sure this same conversation took place in the late sixties when someone was thinking the same thing about their 1959 Corvette.

"oh, that old 283 ain't gonna be worth nuthin. Chunk it and put in that new 327."
Apples and oranges there . The 79 will never increase like the early corvettes. They were classic styling . Like it or not , the 79 has it's limits and it is almost there. The cutoffs were the end of the chromies which makes them the real classics . You see that not just in corvettes but any American classics like Chevelles, Camaros, Mustangs, Mopars etc. with chrome everywhere.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:40 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Sluefoot
It's only worth extra to the guy who owns the matching numbers car. That would be you. A couple of years back I sold the matching #'s 55,000 mi. L-82 out of my wife's 78 for $400. It ran fine but I was installing a ZZ4 crate motor.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:56 AM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bj1k
Apples and oranges there . The 79 will never increase like the early corvettes. They were classic styling . Like it or not , the 79 has it's limits and it is almost there. The cutoffs were the end of the chromies which makes them the real classics . You see that not just in corvettes but any American classics like Chevelles, Camaros, Mustangs, Mopars etc. with chrome everywhere.
I'm a chromie owner too, and while I agree with you, we can only hope that all of the C3's continue to rise in value to the point where all of them are highly collectible and matching numbers affect value no matter what the year.
The following users liked this post:
LS4 PILOT (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 09:21 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

So common in the world of collectibles. People threw out certain items or disgard them to point few were left . I've seen this with lots of antiques. 50 -100 years latter things that people laughed off as will never worth nothing suddenly become rare. Trends come and go. People's tastes chance. Groups die out others decide what is valuable .

Unless you live in an apt. , why not keep it , you'll have both types of people covered , those who want modern and those who want old school.

You double your buyer market by having both.

The original cars from that era a ssuspect are disappearing pretty fast , finding an original might be difficult in 20 more years.

Get notified of new replies

To Matching Number Engine

Old 02-14-2017, 09:12 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

how early and mid 60's F.I. systems were thrown out because a single 4brl holley worked better,,or a smog pump on a 69' wasnt cool
Old 02-15-2017, 08:14 AM
Sluefoot
Racer

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
Unless you live in an apt. , why not keep it , you'll have both types of people covered , those who want modern and those who want old school.
I do not live in an apt., I have a 30x50 barn as well as a 16x24 garage I had built a couple years SPECIFICALLY for my 'Vette!

As I stated a few posts ago, I have decided to KEEP it....but I still appreciate your reply, as well as everyone else's!!
Old 02-16-2017, 08:25 AM
Jonz79
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

"Apples and oranges there . The 79 will never increase like the early corvettes. They were classic styling . Like it or not , the 79 has it's limits and it is almost there. The cutoffs were the end of the chromies which makes them the real classics . You see that not just in corvettes but any American classics like Chevelles, Camaros, Mustangs, Mopars etc. with chrome everywhere."

WRONG. Have you looked at the prices of the big-bumper late 70's Camaros lately, rubber-fascia 78-81 Z28's, 79-80 Trans Ams? They said the same about all of these cars years back, and the same for the rubber-bumper Vettes. The value of a car is not determined by folks who are biased because they own one. The value is determined by the BUYERS, and as the cars age, and the relative buyers are of a different generation (80's, 90's kids, and younger) - they could give a hoot about chrome vs non-chrome. In fact, many I talk to (and have sold cars to) care more about the car that represents THEIR childhood.....not your's.
Horsepower is rarely a determinate for them. It is about the era, the look, and of course the condition. Please refrain from making such silly, insulting comments to may folks who have later Vettes, and love them. They will be worth more as time goes on, there is evidence of that as we speak. BTW, the few chrome-bumper Vette's I looked at before buying my one-owner 9,500 original miles 79, were hacked-up, driven hard put away wet, and over-priced. I can tell you this, I could make thousands tomorrow of my pristine 79, rubber bumpers and all.

Last edited by Jonz79; 02-16-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Matching Number Engine