C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Is it even worth a tune if your stock just borla axel back?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Titanlex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it even worth a tune if your stock just borla axel back?

Got an 03Z Just wondering if it's even worth getting a tune all I have is borla axle back and what kind of Gaines should I expect what do you guys recommend I do first.?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:26 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a Diablosport tuner so I used the high octane tune before any modifications to the car. I could feel a difference, but it is hard to guess horsepower gains. I used to be able to hit 120 mph at the end of the front straight at Summit Point, but was able to hit 130 after the tune.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:06 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

These cars are already well tuned bone stock Yes with an auto trans there are many things you can do to make your car quicker without even addressing any engine parameters---
But on a manual trans car or a Z car don't expect any miracles with tuning---At best maybe 10-12 more RWHP BUT better engine response especially on the bottom end which is hard to measure---With mods like a cam or LT headers or different heads or intake manifold you would absolutely need a re-tune to address the added airflow-even on a manual trans to retain P/T drive ability idle control--surging --or dying
Old 02-17-2017, 05:26 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Titanlex
Got an 03Z Just wondering if it's even worth getting a tune all I have is borla axle back and what kind of Gaines should I expect what do you guys recommend I do first.?
If you don't plan to add any more bolt ons then yes tune it. If you plan to add more stuff tune it later.

plenty of C5's with just an Intake, axleback and a dyno tune making 325rwhp or more. Good for a high 12. It's all I plan to do with the cost of mods for these cars

Last edited by Roddy13; 02-24-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:35 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

My C5 coupe, automatic trans is bone stock , except for the cold air intake. I am planning to do just a tune. Maybe a cat back exhaust next year. I am told that these cars are de-tuned before they left Bowling Green. I am also told there could be as much as 30 or 40 HP in the cars that is not being used because of the de-tuning. Is this Corvette myth? I don't know. But there are guys in a local Corvette club who are showing some interesting numbers from the Dyno shop. It seems well worth the cost, and a good first step to getting some added HP and FT LBS without buying bolt-ons.
The following users liked this post:
CindysC5 (03-19-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:00 PM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 361 Posts

The OP has a very good question, I have a '98 that is stock with the exception of a Corsa axle back and a K&N in the stock AC housing which I did sneak a '02 Z06 cover (lid) on with it's bigger air intake opening. My car is an auto and after driving my wife's new to us '07 auto C6 I really like the additional 55hp it brings, living here in Nor Cal I just never been interested to do much more but after reading some of the Chuck Cow stuff it does sound interesting to go the tune route to get closer to the output of the wife's C6, I may be going back to Sonoma Raceway soon to run the wife's car for a comparison and just see how much faster it is in the real world. My other car runs 9.0's so not going to go crazy with this car just want to level the playing field with the C6......

Old 02-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Keith Richards
The OP has a very good question, I have a '98 that is stock with the exception of a Corsa axle back and a K&N in the stock AC housing which I did sneak a '02 Z06 cover (lid) on with it's bigger air intake opening. My car is an auto and after driving my wife's new to us '07 auto C6 I really like the additional 55hp it brings, living here in Nor Cal I just never been interested to do much more but after reading some of the Chuck Cow stuff it does sound interesting to go the tune route to get closer to the output of the wife's C6, I may be going back to Sonoma Raceway soon to run the wife's car for a comparison and just see how much faster it is in the real world. My other car runs 9.0's so not going to go crazy with this car just want to level the playing field with the C6......
Interesting. I also have the Z06 lid, and plan to do an axleback this spring along with a tune. I would suggest going with a dyno tune or an ECS Tune (Very low cost!!) or there is Chuck Cow as well. This will definitely narrow the gap between your C5 LS1 and the C6 LS2.

Last edited by Roddy13; 03-08-2017 at 11:29 AM.
DOUG @ ECS (03-23-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:00 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Read the forum.....

Read the forum..... There is nothing like a Chuck CoW TUNE for ANY Automatic Vette.

You don't need ANY mods to make an enormous change in an automatic C5 with my tune package.

As you add mods over time.... I re-tune the car for free.

If you have 2 Vettes in your household.... then both of them get tuned with the same tool and you'll save some money too!

Chuck CoW
Old 02-26-2017, 09:27 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

Yes if you are not going to mod anymore then go to a good dyno tune. Should be in the range of $450.00 this will include pass on dyno with complete read out of max HP and torque and what ever adjustment need to CPU. Besure to ask them to tune your fan response to come on earlier.

I would start with location and ask anyone know of a good tuner in area.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:38 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Keith Richards

My tune is NOT going to make your Automatic C5 run 9.0's but rest assured it will be a whole new car

when I'm done with it.....

And on that note, if we tune the wife's Auto C6..... She'll put a big hurtin' on ya...

BTW.... Neither of them needs to have any mods except for a 160 stat to really kick *** with my AutoCal package.

CLICK HERE FOR AUTOCAL INFO

Call any time if you want to know more. 914-332-0049
Chuck CoW
Old 03-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Read the forum..... There is nothing like a Chuck CoW TUNE for ANY Automatic Vette.
Sure there is. ECS comes to mind.

I would recommend a tune. A tune will take out the "slop" and make the car more fun to drive. It will not be a "whole new car" as chuck said but it will be more responsive and fun. It will not gain a ton of horsepower as others said.

Last edited by Podium; 03-08-2017 at 11:00 AM.
DOUG @ ECS (03-23-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 12:49 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Be a SMART consumer.....

Be a SMART consumer..... Review your options.

YES it's very "worth it" to tune a bolt on car, in fact.... it might run worse with the bolt ons if not tuned.

It depends on the intake used....

As mentioned earlier, you won't gain tons of horsepower.... BUT, properly tuned.... The C5 ZO6 can be VASTLY

IMPROVED with the right tune.... And it's just simply NOT just about your perceived WOT power gain.

In my book, it's what's "UNDER THE CURVE" that makes the most reward for the customer in terms of

smiles per mile..... Get lost shopping for the "BEST HP GAIN" and go down the tubes with the rest of the

people who don't know any better.....

Pick the right tuner with a remote tuning tool that.....OFFERS FREE RE-TUNES and you add more mods....

and YOU WIN. It's just NOT simply about what most people think of as "gains"....

Pick the right tuner and mods.... And the right tuner.....

And you'll LOVE your car. There IS A DIFFERENCE when you look closely.

Chuck CoW
Old 03-10-2017, 09:18 AM
KCK8766
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

What's the cost of going with a Chuck tune and plug in unit?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:30 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KCK8766
What's the cost of going with a Chuck tune and plug in unit?
Do you mean the plug in he sells with his package, or a device from another seller, like those sold on Ebay? Can you use a Chuck Cow tune with another device?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:32 AM
KCK8766
Instructor

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
Do you mean the plug in he sells with his package, or a device from another seller, like those sold on Ebay? Can you use a Chuck Cow tune with another device?
Yep, his unit? What's the total cost with hardware and the actual tuning changes?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:52 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Yep, his unit? What's the total cost with hardware and the actual tuning changes?
I have nothing to do with the product or service. I am a perspective customer. I am looking at local shops that do this kind of work. I can get a tune and Dyno evaluation from a local shop for about $350.00.

I recently had a couple of detailed conversations with Chuck which included the pricing. I would love to use his service. But It is more than I can spend. I should let him give you pricing personally. I would recommend calling him. He is easy to reach.
Chuck CoW (03-13-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
I have nothing to do with the product or service. I am a perspective customer. I am looking at local shops that do this kind of work. I can get a tune and Dyno evaluation from a local shop for about $350.00.

I recently had a couple of detailed conversations with Chuck which included the pricing. I would love to use his service. But It is more than I can spend. I should let him give you pricing personally. I would recommend calling him. He is easy to reach.
ECS tune $159

Chuck COW: $350 (correct me if wrong)

Local Dyno Tune $450-500 with the caveat that it could go up to $800 depending on how much time they have to spend on it... (which is BS when you tell the tuner it only has intake and catback...)

Get notified of new replies

To Is it even worth a tune if your stock just borla axel back?

Old 03-10-2017, 01:38 PM
KCK8766
Instructor

So for $350 with Chuck, I get as many updates as needed each time i bolt on something new?

Or I pay $150 for mail in for a single tune, which entails taking the car apart, and waiting on mail etc.

Seems like a no brainer if the pricing is correct.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:01 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

So for $350 with Chuck, I get as many updates as needed each time i bolt on something new?

Or I pay $150 for mail in for a single tune, which entails taking the car apart, and waiting on mail etc.

Seems like a no brainer if the pricing is correct.
Chuck is that you?

That's not what I was pointing out. But you do have a point I have not wanted to pull my ECU out.

Also another choice is to buy a Diablo Intune handheld and get Monte SS (Diablew) to do a street tune for you.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:46 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roddy13
ECS tune $159

Chuck COW: $350 (correct me if wrong)

Local Dyno Tune $450-500 with the caveat that it could go up to $800 depending on how much time they have to spend on it... (which is BS when you tell the tuner it only has intake and catback...)
When I talked with Chuck, the tune price was a hell of a lot higher than $350. I have a local tune shop who charges $350. I only which that Chuck's tune was $350. I think the Chuck's tune was maybe double the 350.00 amount. Or, are you referring to the tune minus the Autocal interface device? For $350, I would jump on that like now.

I was trying not to get into a price conversation on the public forum.

Also, I agree with the idea of not having pull the computer and ship it somewhere for a tune. When you have ODB2 devices, why do all the work of pulling the computer from the car. Not to mention what happens if something happens to the computer in transit.

Last edited by gpruitt54; 03-10-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Is it even worth a tune if your stock just borla axel back?