C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

NCRS to add " appearance judging "

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 04:44 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Default NCRS to add " appearance judging "

To stock and modified cars. According to the article they only see 5% of production. To widen their theme they are expanding to drivers, stock, modified, and , drum roll please ..... Restomods !
I wondered when they would run out of specialization looking for part numbers on gas caps and comparing date codes stamped five decades later. It's clearly leading a theme to include correct looking vs perfect original factory delivery examples.
I hope this leads to a the reformation of an organization that shares a common ground with many owners of used driven examples. Membership and participation will vastly increase. Its a goal every owner can live with.
The following 2 users liked this post by jrs 427:
Bluffman (02-14-2017), ptjsk (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 04:49 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Already happened in Lakeland last month - its called "Concours Judging" BTW:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-lakeland.html

A forum member had two restomods in the judging hangar....
My take in talking to the owners and judges is that it was well received...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-14-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:47 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427

I wondered when they would run out of specialization looking for part numbers on gas caps and comparing date codes stamped five decades later. It's clearly leading a theme to include correct looking vs perfect original factory delivery examples.
I hope this leads to a the reformation of an organization that shares a common ground with many owners of used driven examples. Membership and participation will vastly increase. Its a goal every owner can live with.
If it's really about "appearing correct" from five feet and keeping their periscopes in their pockets, they are on to something they should have embraced decades ago.

This is far different than "concours" judging.
The following 2 users liked this post by MikeM:
JL66REDCPE (02-15-2017), ptjsk (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:53 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,266 Likes on 1,687 Posts

I don't detect any movement by the club away from its primary mission which seems to be to provide an opportunity for people to get together and share information about the restoration and preservation of corvettes as they were produced by the factory. This new judging program for modified cars will augment the primary program and allow owners of such cars to be involved in the club's activities. The first participants that I observed at the Florida Regional sure seemed to have a good time and displayed their awards proudly.
The following users liked this post:
mikelj (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 09:01 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,096 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
If it's really about "appearing correct" from five feet and keeping their periscopes in their pockets, they are on to something they should have embraced decades ago.

This is far different than "concours" judging.
Mike,
I'm a card carrying NCRS guy, and I agree with your statement. I like the new program...more inclusive without abandoning the original mission but I don't think "concours" is the right terminology for this class of automobile. Call a spade a spade..."modified class" or something similar.
The following 2 users liked this post by leif.anderson93:
dcamick (02-18-2017), mikelj (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 09:29 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

i agree with Leif
Old 02-14-2017, 09:47 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Mike,
I'm a card carrying NCRS guy, and I agree with your statement. I like the new program...more inclusive without abandoning the original mission but I don't think "concours" is the right terminology for this class of automobile. Call a spade a spade..."modified class" or something similar.
Originally Posted by LT1driver
i agree with Leif
I don't know what the "new" program is as I wasn't there. I just picked up the term from another member here.

I think the club has many members with cars they are very proud of that never get recognized as a quality vehicle simply because they won't pass the scrutiny of current judging but are otherwise good quality examples of the marque.

Getting rid of the periscopes and other intense scrutiny seems like it would be a path for more participants in club activities.

The way actual "concours" judging is normally done doesn't seem like it would attract many members either. Very few like picking pebbles out of the treads of their tires after driving in from 50 miles out.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

It wasn't like that - I was there...
Give it some time to evolve...
Old 02-14-2017, 09:56 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 292 Posts

Default Ncrs

I have been a serious NCRS member for over 20 years. I think they went about this wrong. Instead of Concourse judging, they should have opened up some kind of flight judging and just eliminated the engine, tires and brakes for example. That would open up alot of oppurtunity for cars without their original engines etc......but still maintaining the "correct" look of the car. Now it will be whoever spent the most money on a restomod fad like all other car shows.......but the guy with a really nice no hit body, real FI car with a replacement block still gets hammered and cant Top Flight......
JL66REDCPE (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 10:11 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Like nobody spends "the most money" to get a Top Flight.... Some spend $100K on a nuts and bolts restoration to "factory" condition...

I had correct engine, tires and brakes and a no-hit body and still got knocked out of a Top Flight... Vintage Air A/C and too shiny paint....so where would the line be drawn in flight judging ?

I think another class of judging altogether is a better approach...but everybody has their own opinion...
ptjsk (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 11:08 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

NCRS is a great organization and has certainly helped many people determine want these cars were as delivered from the factory and give the people that want to preserve their cars as originally built the tools/info to do so. It gives onlookers an opportunity to see this history.

They will get the bugs worked out for this new venue as time goes by if they listen to the feedback from participants.

It SOUNDS like it would be a great venue for guys like me that are interested in keeping their cars original LOOKING to a casual looker but allows us to modify internally and under areas not seen without a hard look such as disc brake upgrades. I buy my cars to drive, want some modern upgrades for comfort, convenience, safety and additional power without overpowering the cars original general appearance. I don't care about matching numbers, just the general original look and I think there are a lot more like me out there.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:12 AM
65BotaHam
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't care about matching numbers, just the general original look and
I think there are a lot more like me out there.
I am one of them. I have some WWII era 100% all matching Lugers in the safe that I've never shot for fear of breaking a numbered part. Beautiful safe queens they are, but a picture of them hanging on the wall would get more use. I wanted a car that I could drive without fear of damaging a rare piece of history. After all, we're just curators of our items for the next generation. At the same time though, I'll do every thing I can to keep the car as original as possible.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:24 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM

Getting rid of the periscopes and other intense scrutiny seems like it would be a path for more participants in club activities.

The way actual "concours" judging is normally done doesn't seem like it would attract many members either. Very few like picking pebbles out of the treads of their tires after driving in from 50 miles out.
I'm not sure of the details of this either, but I don't think they are putting away the periscopes. Supposedly they are not getting rid of anything, just adding categories so the restomodders and modified cars can also claim some NCRS awards.

65hihp states this isn't movement away from their primary mission, but it has to be seen that way at least a little right? I guess I should look more closely at what they are actually adding before making assumptions. I did see the cars at Kissimmee, but the plan is to further expand this I think.

Probably time for NCRS to consider a name change.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:41 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I'm not sure of the details of this either, but I don't think they are putting away the periscopes. Supposedly they are not getting rid of anything, just adding categories so the restomodders and modified cars can also claim some NCRS awards.

65hihp states this isn't movement away from their primary mission, but it has to be seen that way at least a little right? I guess I should look more closely at what they are actually adding before making assumptions. I did see the cars at Kissimmee, but the plan is to further expand this I think.

I see no reason for that. They are not going to lose sight of their original intent. I think they are likely just looking for some ne potential membership from people that otherwise would not join and by offering a somewhat modified type class it will bring more cars out that "look" closer to correct than some of the resto mods with late model engines, interiors, etc. Not knocking resto mods, they have their following too but probably a big stretch for what NCRS is thinking. I am sure before it is set in stone their will be a lot of guidelines established.

I gave their site a link to this thread and hopefully the powers that be there will watch this and review the comments to make a determination as to how they proceed.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:53 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
I see no reason for that. They are not going to lose sight of their original intent. I think they are likely just looking for some ne potential membership from people that otherwise would not join and by offering a somewhat modified type class it will bring more cars out that "look" closer to correct than some of the resto mods with late model engines, interiors, etc. Not knocking resto mods, they have their following too but probably a big stretch for what NCRS is thinking. I am sure before it is set in stone their will be a lot of guidelines established.

I gave their site a link to this thread and hopefully the powers that be there will watch this and review the comments to make a determination as to how they proceed.
Again, maybe I'm not understanding the additions; I thought the restomods were the Cars being judged in Kissimmee.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:20 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Again, maybe I'm not understanding the additions; I thought the restomods were the Cars being judged in Kissimmee.
Maybe they were, I was not there. I guess it depends on your (or theirs) definition of Resto Mod. Mine is as stated above which would be modern engine, interiors, suspension that usually is a lowered stance. This type of car is clearly a big departure from NCRSs original venue and I sincerely doubt they would make that big of a jump. I guess we are all just speculating until we get some more clear info on what NCRS is actually doing.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:47 AM
68hemi
Race Director

I guess I should have read the thread that is linked in the second post in this one before I commented. I have not read ALL of it yet but there is info posted that shows what NCRSs intent is from their Driveline publication and they ARE allowing resto mods.

So far from what I have read it looks like they are still feeling their way through it as the first event that included this had "test" cars.

I likely would never participate in it as I drive my cars often, could care less about te under carriage cleanliness/detailing. My cars look like any 10 year old regular car driven daily and just regularly maintained on the undercarriage. I am sure they are going to be looking and judging that area.
I think it is a good thing for the hobby, just not my thing. I am more of a "street driven class" kind of guy.
Hope it does well for the hobby.

Get notified of new replies

To NCRS to add " appearance judging "

Old 02-15-2017, 10:40 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

[QUOTE=68hemi;
I think it is a good thing for the hobby, just not my thing. I am more of a "street driven class" kind of guy.
Hope it does well for the hobby.[/QUOTE]

The article I read called it " appearance judging ". Not so much in awards and acolades but to bring the average owner into the organization. Their intent is is to widen their appeal, increase membership, cash flow, and recognize the cars that were not considered museum pieces. A small share of members that have carried their torch of perfection must feel some what let down as the exclusive or elite status is diminishing. Seeing a modified street racer as an equal in their organization will definitely dim their passion.
Just as exclusive private member organizations are relaxing their guidelines for additional participation the cost of daily operation continues to rise. Paying an organization hundreds of dollars to pick apart a five decade old automobile remains a personal challenge for many. What is the value of a piece of framed paper or a small plaque ? Maybe the challenge or personal goal.

This new direction will appeal to thousands of existing owners sharing experience, ideas and maintenance options. A common thread in all of us interested in the mark is pride of ownership. Participation unlimited by restrictions of quality will make NCRS a more enjoyable , interesting, knowledgable, and friendly organization with broad appeal.
Again, my opinion, ... not carved in stone anywhere on earth.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:42 AM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 175 Posts

In my opinion, whatever the details of this new program turn out to be, it is a big move in the right direction for the NCRS. When I started my first restoration on my 67 I joined the NCRS. The reference materials alone were worth the cost. What eventually turned me off on the organization was the insistence that cars must me totally correct by their standards. There was no room for cars that are driven on a regular basis and the upgrades that folks do to make that a better experience. In my case, I build cars that I believe GM should have built rather than the cars that GM did build. I fix bad panel fit, I change to stainless lines, I use modern paint and I don't like over spray on everything. That is just my preference and I appreciate cars that are different from mine whether they are perfect restorations or resto-mods. To me, it is the quality of the workmanship that you see in a car that makes it special. I hope that the NCRS maintains a class for the museum quality correct restorations that are correct down to that date code on the air in the tires. We need to have some of those cars preserved. I applaud the NCRS for what seems to be a willingness to accept a broader array of cars. Let's hope that this catches on with the local chapters and everybody can get along.

Doc
Old 02-15-2017, 10:45 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Seems like they are reacting to Barrett Jackson with the restomod crowds...

Gassers???
Classic period hot rods?
Wild Customs?

Lets not forget about Bubba!

Last edited by jimh_1962; 02-15-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: NCRS to add " appearance judging "